C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What can I expect stability control to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 AM
360 Spyder
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What can I expect stability control to do?

Just received my manual trans 2015. Was surprised first time I took it out and road was wet. Under any hard acceleration, back end slid right until I backed off-even in weather mode! Maybe too much dirt in system from being trucked 1,200 miles. On pavement that may have still been damp, same thing happened. After wash, yesterday, I was able to do full throttle first and second gear with wheel spin without tail sliding out. After having driven Audi R8 V-10 where there was nothing you could do to unsettle car, I am not confident the Z06 would be the same. Let's say I pull out onto a 6 lane road and accelerate hard before going totally straight. Should the electronics keep the car in line or is this asking too much? Prefer not to find out the hard way!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you turn-off the Stabiltrak, it should detect any sideway movement of the rear end and correct it quickly. I experience this almost on a daily basis when I get on it on a straight stretch and feel the rear step out slightly before correcting. Without the feature, and without manual corrective action by the driver, the rear end would move wildly to the side.

Find a stretch of clear wide road to test it.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:04 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

These cars are torque monsters, ease up on the throttle when the car is not in a straight line.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:27 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Save your car and your life, that's all.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

With 650tq @3000rpm, I quickly learned that you never "stab" the throttle unless the wheels are pointing straight ahead. If you want to accelerate out of a corner you have to "roll" into the throttle.

Your R8 had less than 400tq @ and at high rpms it was also AWD. So 650 to the rear only is a big change and you may have to adjust how you are accustomed to driving. You are absolutely correct in saying that the Z06 is nothing like your R8.

You can consider the R8 a powerful, graceful, strong lion and the Z06 is just a Ferocious MONSTER! Stay safe!

Get notified of new replies

To What can I expect stability control to do?

Quick Reply: What can I expect stability control to do?