C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cooler weather and miss tires (spin city)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Cooler weather and miss tires (spin city)

With the colder temps comes more HP/TQ and tires are not as sticky, boy this makes for some fun rolling burnouts. In the Summer 1st and 2nd would roll the smoke, now 1st, 2nd and 3rd will.(TC off) Don't feel as comfortable pushing it around the corners though...Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Enzom
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
With the colder temps comes more HP/TQ and tires are not as sticky, boy this makes for some fun rolling burnouts. In the Summer 1st and 2nd would roll the smoke, now 1st, 2nd and 3rd will.(TC off) Don't feel as comfortable pushing it around the corners though...Anyone else experience this?
Thats why I put winter rubber on all of my cars/trucks when we drop into the 40s. I picked up my Z in September and felt unsafe on my Sport Cup 2s. Within two weeks, I had mounted a new set of OEM wheels and winter tires. Sadly, I think the Sport Cup 2 tires are only going to be useful from late April until late September and when it is dry out. When this set is done, I will switch to MPSS. They will at least be safer in the rain.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

You are right. With the power this car makes in warm weather, I really have questions about getting "aggressive" now that things have cooled a bit ( in So Cal ) so cool is a relative thing. Best to keep our wits about us when jumping on the loud pedal.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Gm and the tire manufacturers should offer a better all around tire for these cars. The cup tires on the z07 package as well as the base package Michellens are down right dangerous except on a hot dry day.

I always thought the gator back good years on the 90 and 91 zr1's was one of the best all around tires. My c4 Zr-1 did well in rain and all be it these cars were only in the 375 to 400 hp range they hooked well in cold and hot weather and do a reasonable job even light snow. I wish this tire was available for my c6z.

While these tires may not be the best for magaZine track time bragging rights they would be the best compound and tread pattern for 95 percent of us with these cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooler weather and miss tires (spin city)

Quick Reply: Cooler weather and miss tires (spin city)