C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Any thoughts on mid-section muffler to reduce sound for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any thoughts on mid-section muffler to reduce sound for track use?

A friend is talking to a local exhaust manufacturer about an add on to the exhaust system to reduce sound levels to allow the car to pass sound check at a local track, as the stock system does not pass. The manufacturer came up with the thought of replacing the mid section behind the primary cats with a muffled section instead of the pipes with the secondary cats attached. Their thought is that the muffled section would have similar restriction to the secondary cats but better sound reduction achieved.

Any thoughts on this solution to the sound issue?

Anyone think this will cause error codes to be thrown? The exhaust MFG said there is not a sensor related to the secondary cat.

Would love to hear from people with informed opinions on this!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by SRTRick; 12-03-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 PM
SRTRick
Racer

I'm guessing that, if the Borla and the Corsa mid X pipes without a secondary cat don't throw a code, then this muffled mid section wouldn't either.

I'm surprised no one has offered any thoughts on this. I guess if you didn't have a sound restricted track you wanted to use, it wouldn't much matter.

Any thoughts on whether a dual independently muffled section behind a crossover would be better than a longer section with no crossover and both pipes run through an oval muffler as far as avoiding power loss?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

pm me i have the resonators from magnaflow which you weld in behind the x and will quiet it down
Old 12-04-2015, 12:32 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
pm me i have the resonators from magnaflow which you weld in behind the x and will quiet it down
I appreciate that, but I'm looking for more of a bolt in solution that will allow me to minimize weight and restriction gain, and it seems like welding resonators in behind the current x pipe would necessarily add weight and backpressure, where a new x-pipe with no secondary cat incorporating the muffler into the section could be somewhat lighter and less restrictive than adding on to what is there now. Additionally, it allows me to go back to stock if necessary in the future.

Last edited by SRTRick; 12-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTRick
I appreciate that, but I'm looking for more of a bolt in solution that will allow me to minimize weight and restriction gain, and it seems like welding resonators in behind the current x pipe would necessarily add weight and backpressure, where a new x-pipe with no secondary cat incorporating the muffler into the section could be somewhat lighter and less restrictive than adding on to what is there now. Additionally, it allows me to go back to stock if necessary in the future.
Corsa x with resonators will weight more than stock. The resonators,weigh more than cats by 1/2 pound

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 12-04-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Is there no electronic solution that will keep one of the damper sets closed at least during the driveby test?

Too much backpressure could cause exhaust valve issues, but who knows how much too much is.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

why not a resonator added while keeping all the cats? I find cats reduce the sound quite a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Any thoughts on mid-section muffler to reduce sound for track use?

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on mid-section muffler to reduce sound for track use?