C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Paint problems around fender vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Well after 5 coats if touch up with a touch up paint marker I bought from automotive touch up paint. It's now level to rest of the paint.

I am going to apply the clear paint marker next.

Doesn't look good enough for me to not follow up with GM like I've been and something still needs to be done long term but at least my eye won't go it every time I walk in and out of my garage.
Now its only noticable on super zoom. To anyone buying this car and going over it carefully they would find it. But average guy higjly doubt it.

Still unacceptable on any brand new vehicle let alone the flagship of chevrolet.

Compare this to

This!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Well after 5 coats if touch up with a touch up paint marker I bought from automotive touch up paint. It's now level to rest of the paint.

I am going to apply the clear paint marker next.

Doesn't look good enough for me to not follow up with GM like I've been and something still needs to be done long term but at least my eye won't go it every time I walk in and out of my garage.
Now its only noticable on super zoom. To anyone buying this car and going over it carefully they would find it. But average guy higjly doubt it.

Still unacceptable on any brand new vehicle let alone the flagship of chevrolet.

Compare this to

This!

much better especially at a distance lol

Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

We call that a 5 footer. Looks good man. Sorry you had to deal with this and I agree, you should not have to.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:24 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z;1593738139

Still unacceptable on any brand new vehicle let alone the flagship of chevrolet. [/i

[i]
SAD..A ton of ORANGE PEEL TOO
Old 12-26-2016, 11:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by DALE#3
SAD..A ton of ORANGE PEEL TOO
it's actually not bad at all (for a factory non wet sanded automated finish). Only lower part of body. As if the robots give up at that point. I was surprised how good the paint looked vs many other C7's.

And some brands are so outrageous it's embarassing. BMW and Dodge come to mind.

that is not the issue here.

the issue here is distinctly the poor design or execution on the fender inserts.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-26-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:42 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Only lower part of body. As if the robots give up at that point.
Tough to find good help now a day's
Old 12-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Looks like quite a bit of orange peel. That sucks. I checked my vents, and my vent does not touch the paint like his and I don't have this problem. Seems centered better. Checked my buddies with 12k on the odo and his are fine as well. I called the local dealer for the hell of it, and they said they had one in for the issue and they fixed it under warranty. Not sure what the fix was but they said they had no problem "making it go away", whatever that means. The dealer is a pretty good one and seems to take care of just about anything, even with mods. They work on both my Z06s, which are heavily modified for track use.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Looks like quite a bit of orange peel. That sucks. I checked my vents, and my vent does not touch the paint like his and I don't have this problem. Seems centered better. Checked my buddies with 12k on the odo and his are fine as well. I called the local dealer for the hell of it, and they said they had one in for the issue and they fixed it under warranty. Not sure what the fix was but they said they had no problem "making it go away", whatever that means. The dealer is a pretty good one and seems to take care of just about anything, even with mods. They work on both my Z06s, which are heavily modified for track use.
Not as much Orange Peel as your car. but that's probably just color related ? My paint has no runs, no issues just the vents.

And, with all due respect, just for the "heck of it" I stopped by a local dealer here with a bunch if vettes and here's 3 of 4 Z06 with the same issue.

I bet you if I checked your car uo close it has some form of the cut in paint. Only reason the 4th one didn't have visible evidence is it hasn't moved enough yet. Here you go.

Pictures are fresh at dealership in nj route 37 toms river now

The blue, red vert and shark gray on other side of red stingray are the cars.

The red Z06 far left top i didn't see evidence. But sure it will start once the poor owner takes the car and drives it in differing climates and the fender expands and contracts and the vent doesn't.

That paint is lifted and beginning to separate. Wait until spring. Thats how mine was at first.
Same car. Difficult IMPOSSIBLE to spot on lot if you're shopping for your dream car. This one has crack/"paint push" which is pretty far out also. That is xpel further out if you couldn't tell. The crack is at 5 o'clock. That has to be from freshly painted fender expanding and contracting with the insert in there and not enough clearance. Again dont notice it right? There it is Looks fine from here. Close up.Anyone daring enough to say they have no issues here. Make sure you seek me out at carlisle. I'll help you find it lol.

GM. You really need to get on this.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-30-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Well, I can't argue with picture evidence. Looks pretty clear to me that there is an issue. You are right that it is either a design flaw and/or poor execution. I can say that I have examined mine very, very closely and don't see any sign of peeling or cracking, but I can see how it happens and how it probably will happen. Not sure of what preventive measures can be taken. My dealer said if it happens that they will fix it immediately though. I'll be watching mine closely, with a magnifying glass. At the first sign of chipping, cutting, peeling or whatever....IN SHE GOES.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Well, I can't argue with picture evidence. Looks pretty clear to me that there is an issue. You are right that it is either a design flaw and/or poor execution. I can say that I have examined mine very, very closely and don't see any sign of peeling or cracking, but I can see how it happens and how it probably will happen. Not sure of what preventive measures can be taken. My dealer said if it happens that they will fix it immediately though. I'll be watching mine closely, with a magnifying glass. At the first sign of chipping, cutting, peeling or whatever....IN SHE GOES.
I wonder if production time comes into play here.

my vehicle was produced in february. Say they put the vents in, park it outside (in freezing temps) and the fenders contract on the freshly painted car causing the "push" of the paint as the fender expands again and the vent doesn't.

those cars in the pics are 16 leftovers.

Maybe vehicles painted in more mild times of the year don't have this issue? Or it hasn't come into play until the season changes?

mordeth, the gm rep says gm won't "break" factory paint for that fender issue. At least that was what was conveyed to me and a friend with that issue and a crack in the fender in same area (most likely the lack of support in the big opening being the culprit as his car only had 200 miles or so)

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-30-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:42 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

mine has the issue on both sides ....had to use touch up on one side a small piece of paint let go on the fender.... I did have my dealer document the issue in case it gets worse... he said the only option now was to repaint the whole fender.... looks to me like some paint is pooling in that one corner and the vent vibrating just scrapes it off
23/C8Z (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:32 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by RFBHD
mine has the issue on both sides ....had to use touch up on one side a small piece of paint let go on the fender.... I did have my dealer document the issue in case it gets worse... he said the only option now was to repaint the whole fender.... looks to me like some paint is pooling in that one corner and the vent vibrating just scrapes it off
Thanks for posting.

chevy customer service advised me they sent this thread to gm quality control. So if you see this on you Z06 please post up.
Tunerz Store (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

You might be right. Maybe has something to do with production dates and where the car sits. Who knows. What a shitty thing to happen. It seems that the factory paint on yours is already "broken", so I don't understand why they would say they don't want to break the paint open. The panel should be removed, repainted and the vent properly fitted. Perhaps some kind of rubber gasket can alleviate the problem.
23/C8Z (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 11:27 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for posting.

chevy customer service advised me they sent this thread to gm quality control. So if you see this on you Z06 please post up.
I spoke with my service advisor a few days ago... he didn't see any TSB's to fix the fitment issue of the vent. So until that issue is addressed, any type of paint repair is pointless as this will continue to happen.

Last edited by Tunerz Store; 12-31-2016 at 11:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tunerz Store:
23/C8Z (12-31-2016), RFBHD (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by TUNERZ
I spoke with my service advisor a few days ago... he didn't see any TSB's to fix the fitment issue of the vent. So until that issue is addressed, any type of paint repair is pointless as this will continue to happen.
you're correct.

if the vent wasn't a PITA to pull on that side (oil tank there) i would have pulled it and had my friend do the work it needs, sanding both vent and opening to smooth the paint then touch up/clear etc. but i'm not opening that up till the spring at the shop if no fix by then.

i think if they shave the vent edge down, keeping the radius is the key unless someone comes up with a gasket to allow the slip of the fender opening around that vent. what a mess. both of the above solutions have been referenced in this thread by either members or that angry guy on his blog.. but they're both onto something.. none of those address the chipping/cracking of the paint though.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

i think if they shave the vent edge down, keeping the radius
That's what I think also. Need to get rid of the knife edge created during the molding process. (looks sharp as a razor)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Z06PA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is doing it also both top and bottom on both sides, here is one side. The car was built in feb/2016. Sucks but no way I'm allowing fenders to be painted on a car with 300 miles...
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Paint problems around fender vents

Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My car is going to have new fenders put in tomorrow and factory painted. Will see if it's a match. Will update. Racing yellow.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RicemanZ06
My car is going to have new fenders put in tomorrow and factory painted. Will see if it's a match. Will update. Racing yellow.
how did you get "Factory Painted" ?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM
vntgmbk
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for posting.

Please let us know if you ever hear back from GM cust service on this. My guess is you won't get a definitive answer like 90% of the posts they respond to on here. This is obviously a design flaw that needs to be addressed with a TSB for current owners and at the factory for future owners. At Carlisle, all the engineers said they listen to all the reported problems and address them on the new upcoming models. This problem has been reported for a couple years now on the Z06.

Quick Reply: Paint problems around fender vents