C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Paint problems around fender vents

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Interesting thread. Is this only effecting Z06 vents or are the smaller Stingray, or redesigned Grand Sport side vents also experiencing this issue?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:09 PM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RicemanZ06
My car is going to have new fenders put in tomorrow and factory painted. Will see if it's a match. Will update. Racing yellow.
The outcome is better than I thought, the match is dead on.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 PM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Default New fender and bumper

Here's a couple of shot. Sorry it was dark already.
Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PA
Mine is doing it also both top and bottom on both sides, here is one side. The car was built in feb/2016. Sucks but no way I'm allowing fenders to be painted on a car with 300 miles...
So was mine and my buddies 2.10.16.. and so are mine. Might have to do with time if year manufactured. Beginning to see a trend. Frigid months being issue?

Originally Posted by vntgmbk
Please let us know if you ever hear back from GM cust service on this. My guess is you won't get a definitive answer like 90% of the posts they respond to on here. This is obviously a design flaw that needs to be addressed with a TSB for current owners and at the factory for future owners. At Carlisle, all the engineers said they listen to all the reported problems and address them on the new upcoming models. This problem has been reported for a couple years now on the Z06.
Yeah. I'll be there this year with mine. And if I have to DRAG an engineer to my fender I will.

Customer service said they were resubmitting this thread due to the dealership inventory pics I put in here. What a mess.

glad it worked out. Can you help with the process? How did you get this done? For me it won't help. Shark gray fender painting is over.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Did you get new painted fenders from GM because of the paint problem around the vents?
Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 AM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Did you get new painted fenders from GM because of the paint problem around the vents?
I had a lot of help to get it.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a lot of help to get it.
please elaborate ....
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Zendiver
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have this problem on my 16 zo6 and several friends do as well. I have been trying to ignore it but have reach the point where it's going to be taken care of. What is the best route members are finding. Paint yourself, dealer fix, bitch to GM??????
Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I will be talking to my dealer in the spring about this. It seems like the white paint is the worst. I have problems around the vents and when I open the trunk there is paint chipping off around the strip. It really pi$$es me off that GM let this leave the factory like this. I guess I should of said something as soon as I noticed it but I didn't want my car to be in the paint shop for weeks while they try to paint it to my satisfaction. I hear they have a whole new paint process now so if GM doesn't want to take care of this I guess I will just wait until the ZR1 comes out and trade this one in on it.. I really can't see GM paying to fix all the paint problems on our Z06's..
23/C8Z (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:26 PM
MrBlackZ06
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue with my Z. Looks like it is a common issue with C7Zs. Fortunately mine is black so it is not noticeable.
23/C8Z (01-08-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Sicotic
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had this issue with the paint around the vents on both sides. Took the car in to my local dealership, they said the fix would be covered under warranty. Scheduled the paint work, two days after I dropped my Z07 off I got it back. Looked fantastic.

Pretty simple, no complaints.
23/C8Z (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sicotic
Had this issue with the paint around the vents on both sides. Took the car in to my local dealership, they said the fix would be covered under warranty. Scheduled the paint work, two days after I dropped my Z07 off I got it back. Looked fantastic.

did they touch it up or respray the area and clear the whole fender or something like that? thanks

PS. i emailed Mary Barra last night about this and a link to this thread with the hopes of getting some satisfactory results..

Because if you look back to the FIRST POST it's over a year ago form the thread starter...

My car, like many of yours, was BUILT SUBSEQUENT to this and they haven't fixed it yet???
Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sicotic

Did they paint the whole fender?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

I've been contacted by the executive office of gm regarding the issue. They've assured me that engineering is working on a solution. That I will be contacted wheb the "fix" is released.they would not elaborate on this.

also one of our board members is more than a board member and is also looking into this for us thankfully.

Special thanks to him as well.

just have to hang in there and hope a new redesigned vent comes out that can cover this mess. I swear of all the things that could go wrong I didn't think paint would be the one for this car.. it looks so good. I was so impressed by ever other panel even the fenders just nt around the damage vents.

I will post back periodically. The dealer, customer service on here and gm executive office all check in every few days so far. Quite impressed by the response. Now I need some ACTION.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 01-20-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I've been contacted by the executive office of gm regarding the issue. They've assured me that engineering is working on a solution. That I will be contacted wheb the "fix" is released.they would not elaborate on this.

also one of our board members is more than a board member and is also looking into this for us thankfully.

just have to hang in there and hope a new redesigned vent comes out that can cover this mess. I swear of all the things that could go wrong I didn't think paint would be the one for this car.. it looks so good. I was so impressed by ever other panel even the fenders just nt around the damage vents.

I will post back periodically. The dealer, customer service on here and gm executive office all check in every few days so far. Quite impressed by the response. Now I need some ACTION.
Hopefully it's implemented before my car rolls down the line

Thanks for straightening GM out for us
Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,180 Likes on 541 Posts

Awesome news. Do I have to contact gm to be included in the fix or will any 2015+ showing this damage be eligible?
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Count me in as also having the problem. After putting a meter on it, not only is it peeling, but it's also quite thin. Definitely maddening!

robertbruce (01-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint problems around fender vents

Old 01-21-2017, 04:25 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

I'm being told by them once parts are released for This along with bulletin then "we" will be notified so YES MAKE A COMPLAINT. START with cheby Cust service on forum first. Include pics etc.

as a matter of fact the executive service called me again today to update that the corvette plant quality control someone or other still unable to timeline the fix but that TEMPLATES are being developed for the fix.

sounds to me like ae type of replacement vents that are affixed differently and may cover the affected area?

can't wait to see what will happen.

just an update

​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
Larry M (01-21-2017), robertbruce (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm being told by them once parts are released for This along with bulletin then "we" will be notified so YES MAKE A COMPLAINT. START with cheby Cust service on forum first. Include pics etc.

as a matter of fact the executive service called me again today to update that the corvette plant quality control someone or other still unable to timeline the fix but that TEMPLATES are being developed for the fix.

sounds to me like ae type of replacement vents that are affixed differently and may cover the affected area?

can't wait to see what will happen.

just an update

​​​​​​
Thank You!

Keep the updates coming
Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Count me in as also having the problem. After putting a meter on it, not only is it peeling, but it's also quite thin. Definitely maddening!

I have this same problem with a picture to prove it. When I called Chevy Customer Service I was told they had never heard of this problem and I should not believe what I read on the Corvette Forum. If any of the Chevy Customer Service, Forum First people are reading this please get in touch with me about case # 8-2670034182
Attached Images   

Last edited by robertbruce; 01-21-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint problems around fender vents