C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Winter storage ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Winter storage ???

Its -15 in Minneapolis this morn.
I store my 16 Z06 in my unheated garage.
It is parked on a plastic sheet and has a car cover.
Every 30 days or so, I try to pick a warmer day< I start it and let it run for 45 minutes or so.
Anything wrong with doing this? I did the same on on my 05, 08, and 10, vettes.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:20 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Not necessary to run the car 1x/mo.. If you wanted to drive the car for 20 miles when an occasion arises far better. Have collected for many years and Lived in Co. until recently. Hyper inflate tires to approx. 45#, Battery tender, fuel stabilizer,fresh oil change pre and post storage Moth ***** on top of tires (rodent protection) crack window open to vent, cover and leave it alone
Old 01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

The cold start is the hardest thing you can do to it, and you're doing it every month. Maybe once 2/3 of the way through would be better. Ideally not at all for that short of a storage. Docf has a number of good points.

With our tires being susceptible to cold cracking (when driving) I'd put it up on jackstands if possible (under the control arms so it still sits on the suspension) rather than the over-inflation approach. Just my preference.

I used to love doing this exact same thing on my winter stored vehicles (a nice-day fireup once a month) but have read enough since to be convinced it does more harm than good.

Better to park it and leave it until spring unless it's going to be more than 6 months, as hard as that might be psychologically.

You should also look into a "Car bag" which is a big clear bag you drive onto, zip up, and plug in. It inflates and circulates air, keeps dust and rodents out, and so on.

Much better if you can find some heated storage - even heated just a little, because it keeps the air dryer. I keep my storage at 50F because it's also my shop (that's a comfortable temperature for me!) and that in turn keeps it very, very dry.

Last edited by davepl; 01-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:56 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Im sure a battery tender is necessary. I think you hook it up through a connection in the trunk

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage ???

Quick Reply: Winter storage ???