C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS

I'm pleased to announce that we have been working with TIKT Performance (http://tikt.de/) to import their new twin heat exchanger system for the C7 Z06. You may be familiar with TIKT from their work on the ZR1.

The C7 Z06 system will feature twin heat exchanger behind the fascia with ducts that pull air from the grille area. Eliminating the factory intercooler blocking the radiator will also help engine cooling efficiency. The heat exchanger will be independent circuits left and right with higher volume pumps and individual surge tanks with greater capacity.

Here is a little sneak peek of what it will look like.

There will also be revised brake ducts.

We will be installing this system on my Z06 in the spring and showing more pictures. The parts will be available this summer. Then my car will be on display at SEMA in November in the DSC Sport suspension booth (which is another fantastic product for the C7 Z06 that we will be carrying). I will be at SEMA to answer questions as well as representatives from TIKT and of course DSC Sport.

TIKT is also doing some more aggressive aero for the C7 Z06 that we plan on carrying. That's going to be very exciting.

8/3/16 update

Parts are now available in our online store
http://store.katechengines.com/tikt-...stem-p534.aspx

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 08-03-2016 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Katech_Zach:
OntarioZ06 (03-12-2016), SurfnSun (02-24-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Katech_Zach

There are a couple of different grille designs:

Old 02-05-2016, 10:18 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

That's a bad lookin mfer!

I think the intake openings should be wider like the C6 shown. Just my opinion.

Edit: After re-examination though, the current width really works with the "ankle kickers" (lol...my name). I will say, the one that goes with the headlight lines has a cleanliness to it, but I think the lower that works more with the shape of the opening in a bit more aggressive. I am leaning toward the bottom mockup. You molding both and offering as an option...that's the question!?

Last edited by RC000E; 02-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by RC000E

That's a bad lookin mfer!

I think the intake openings should be wider like the C6 shown. Just my opinion.

Edit: After re-examination though, the current width really works with the "ankle kickers" (lol...my name). I will say, the one that goes with the headlight lines has a cleanliness to it, but I think the lower that works more with the shape of the opening in a bit more aggressive. I am leaning toward the bottom mockup. You molding both and offering as an option...that's the question!?
I think both right now.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Seems logical for sure...small molds, relatively small investment...considering you clay'd both, I imagine you didn't go through that just to stand there lookin at it...lol. Stupid question to ask if you are molding both in hindsight. Your Instagram seems to show a good bit of carbon stuff...seems you guys decided to move more in that direction versus just drivetrain. That's interesting.

Wish you guys didn't reside in stank michigan (I understand the necessity/convenience though)...I'd love to be part of your operation and I've got a ton of skill set to offer. Oh well...keep up the good fight...I love what you guys do and have done for Corvette....good stuff!

Last edited by RC000E; 02-05-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by RC000E
Seems logical for sure...small molds, relatively small investment...considering you clay'd both, I imagine you didn't go through that just to stand there lookin at it...lol. Stupid question to ask if you are molding both in hindsight. Your Instagram seems to show a good bit of carbon stuff...seems you guys decided to move more in that direction versus just drivetrain. That's interesting.

Wish you guys didn't reside in stank michigan (I understand the necessity/convenience though)...I'd love to be part of your operation and I've got a ton of skill set to offer. Oh well...keep up the good fight...I love what you guys do and have done for Corvette....good stuff!
There was a great demand for all of our carbon fiber C6 parts. We still can't even make them fast enough. So when the C7 came out I knew I wanted to continue making carbon fiber parts for it.
The following users liked this post:
RC000E (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I've been trying to chase this picture down to understand how those side coolers work on the C6. Odd choice to upgrade the intercoolers instead of the radiator system. I understand the radiator is now no longer blocked but I don't think a thicker radiator is sufficient for this generation cars. If the charge air is cooler but the coolant is over 230* timing will be pulled anyway. Does TIKT or Katech have a complementary solution for coolant temperatures? I see the C6 is used on the track but this mod on the C7 strikes me more of a drag racer setup. Nothing wrong with drag racing btw, just looking for solutions for myself.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 02-05-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I've been trying to chase this picture down to understand how those side coolers work on the C6. Odd choice to upgrade the intercoolers instead of the radiator system. I understand the radiator is now no longer blocked but I don't think a thicker radiator is sufficient for this generation cars. If the charge air is cooler but the coolant is over 230* timing will be pulled anyway. Does TIKT or Katech have a complementary solution for coolant temperatures? I see the C6 is used on the track but this mod on the C7 strikes me more of a drag racer setup. Nothing wrong with drag racing btw, just looking for solutions for myself.
Based on our experience with other supercharged road race cars, the intercooler in front of the radiator has a large part to do with engine coolant temperatures. Not only does it slow down air flow, but it increases the temperature of the air going into the radiator. If you start with cooler air going into the radiator you'll get cooler water coming out. If we can process more, cooler air through the radiator we will lower engine coolant temperature. This is definitely not just for drag racers. Road racers really need this also.

TIKT is also looking at radiator upgrades. We tested some C7 ones early on, but had fitment issues. I was investing too much of our time helping another company develop their part and had to just drop it. I had other priorities.
The following users liked this post:
foxracing8085 (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Based on our experience with other supercharged road race cars, the intercooler in front of the radiator has a large part to do with engine coolant temperatures. Not only does it slow down air flow, but it increases the temperature of the air going into the radiator. If you start with cooler air going into the radiator you'll get cooler water coming out. If we can process more, cooler air through the radiator we will lower engine coolant temperature. This is definitely not just for drag racers. Road racers really need this also.

TIKT is also looking at radiator upgrades. We tested some C7 ones early on, but had fitment issues. I was investing too much of our time helping another company develop their part and had to just drop it. I had other priorities.
I know what you mean but there is a limit of what you can get with a radiator upgrade even without the intercooler blocking inflow. On the manual cars I suppose we can get the GMPP second radiator so that might work but the A8 guys are still stuck with only one cooling core.

I'm thinking back to what Ron Fellows did for the Z51 cars, developing a second radiator. Z51s do not have an intercooler blocking airflow and only produced 460hp. To cool that down Ron Fellows felt necessary to add a second radiator. Putting 2 and 2 together tells me the A8 cars producing 650hp would still have very little engine cooling with this intercooler mod and be bottle-necked in terms of engine cooling.

Otherwise this is a sweet setup for running Mojave Magnum! If I tried to get the C7 to hit 240mph this is what I would go for.

PS: Try the C&R Racing radiator. Fits like a glove. Although, maybe you'd want a ticker core now that the center mounted intercooler is out of the picture.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 02-05-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Katech_Zach

I know what you mean but there is a limit of what you can get with a radiator upgrade even without the intercooler blocking inflow. On the manual cars I suppose we can get the GMPP second radiator so that might work but the A8 guys are still stuck with only one cooling core.

I'm thinking back to what Ron Fellows did for the Z51 cars, developing a second radiator. Z51s do not have an intercooler blocking airflow and only produced 460hp. To cool that down Ron Fellows felt necessary to add a second radiator. Putting 2 and 2 together tells me the A8 cars producing 650hp would still have very little engine cooling with this intercooler mod and be bottle-necked in terms of engine cooling.

Otherwise this is a sweet setup for running Mojave Magnum! If I tried to get the C7 to hit 240mph this is what I would go for.

PS: Try the C&R Racing radiator. Fits like a glove. Although, maybe you'd want a ticker core now that the center mounted intercooler is out of the picture.
I disagree.

C&R is the brand of radiator TIKT is looking at.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default It's a Win Win!

If you recall Tadge admits they had to forgo some cooling for aero. If this MOD did nothing else, which is unlikely, it would be adding more net air flow to the system, and cooling.

That ACR doesn't look so out of reach!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-05-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
If you recall Tadge admits they had to forgo some cooling for aero. If this MOD did nothing else, which is unlikely, it would be adding more net air flow to the system.

That ACR doesn't look so out of reach!
I'm not arguing that it won't improve both the intake charge temps, and the engine oil/coolant temps. That it will do, and it is an upgrade in every way.

I'm only discussing the maximum cooling capacity you can ever achieve with this setup. If Ron Fellows overheats a 3300lb Z51 with 460 hp with the same cooling arrangement, why would it work for a 3600lbs 650 hp car? Remember that Z51 cars have essentially the same setup, radiator without an intercooler blocking inflow. An A8 Z06 has the slot for the GMPP second radiator filled up, and with this mod you also fill up the sides of the main radiator. All you can do is upgrade the main radiator.

Now, if C&R and TIKT got together and made a purpose built radiator the size of the original intercooler and placed it in front of the main radiator I think they could make a killing ... Call it a stage II!

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 02-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default I would think you have seen this, but great cross reference!

I'm not arguing that it won't improve both the intake charge temps, and the engine oil/coolant temps. That it will do, and it is an upgrade in every way.

I'm only discussing the maximum cooling capacity you can ever achieve with this setup. If Ron Fellows overheats a 3300lb Z51 with 460 hp with the same cooling arrangement, why would it work for a 3600lbs 650 hp car? Remember that Z51 cars have essentially the same setup, radiator without an intercooler blocking inflow. An A8 Z06 has the slot for the GMPP second radiator filled up, and with this mod you also fill up the sides of the main radiator. All you can do is upgrade the main radiator.

Now, if C&R and TIKT got together and made a purpose built radiator the size of the original intercooler and placed it in front of the main radiator I think they could make a killing ... Call it a stage II!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...torsports.html

Plus the C&R designer mentioned here that thickness can cause restriction in this limited air flow situation. That makes sense!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-05-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:49 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...torsports.html

Plus the C&R designer mentioned here that thickness can cause restriction in this limited air flow situation. That makes sense!

so how does this set up differ from the LG solution?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

It definitely gives the Z06 a new look in the front and honestly it looks pretty good. I think this in combination with a larger radiator will an awesome set up. Hopefully LG Motorsports can post their finished product soon since it's nice to have options.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Is Katech going to offer an in house upgrade? If so, about how much?

Jim
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Nothing says you cannot add like a dewitts as well.
Really stay cool then.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS

Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

TIKT products are always top notch. Especially when you see their cars in person running...
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Both grills look great. I can't decide which looks better. Hopefully you will/are producing both.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Looking forward

Quick Reply: Katech to carry new TIKT C7 Z06 Twin Intercooler System - PICS