C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Ground Effects Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
SyberSaint
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ground Effects Question

Hello,

Can someone please speak on your thoughts of the visible carbon fiber vs the painted carbon flash?

Also on the suede seat inserts...

Are there any benefits of one over the other? I really like the visible CF ones... The suede seems to give a richness to the interior.

I am just wanting your thoughts on them..

Thank you,

Dale
Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Here is a link to my photo album.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/3683234
I went with exposed carbon fiber, sometimes I wish I had Carbon Flash to match the vents, etc. Other times I am glad its exposed as it matches my roof.
I am one who does not like the Suede, so I have no comment other than that.

Last edited by jaden61; 02-08-2016 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SyberSaint (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I'm on my 2nd C7 Z06. My 1st had the Z07 package so it had all the aero package. I didn't want it again, so I ordered my 2nd without it and had my aero custom made. The factory stuff is very flimsy. My custom made is very durable and I don't find myself cringing when I enter and exit the car. The seats are nice, but I also didn't want the comp seats in my new one. The GT's are much more comfortable for me, I'm overweight.
Just my opinions.
SyberSaint (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

The visible carbon fiber looks absolutely amazing, BUT you can not repair it easily. Generally it would require a replacement part. The painted stuff is VERY easy to repair if you damage it. I do not think that the painted detracts from the car at all, however it is just my opinion. I like the carbon flash a lot, and do not regret not having visible carbon fiber.

I hate the way suede feels, it gives me goose bumps so no help to you there.
SyberSaint (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Agree with the post above 100%!

Carbon Flash is nothing but a GM color and is used on a few cars exterior finishes other than the corvette. It does look cool in the sun other than that its black. So glad my car is Carbon Flash. When it gets beat up from road rash just sand and paint.
SyberSaint (02-08-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

My preference is exposed CF but like others mentioned above carbon flash is going to be repairable if you mess up and hit it with something.

I've already dinged my CF front splitter. I was running late to meet the Mrs, didn't use the front camera and barely touched a high curb when parking. The result was a couple of scuffs on the front edge and a spider web stress fracture across the the top of the splitter. Though the splitter is intact and fully functional I'll never get it to look like new without replacing it. I'll eventually install a new one but I'm going to wait until I have a lot more seat time without hitting it again. I'll want knowing the distance of the front to the curb to be second nature before replacing. I don't want to have to buy a third one.

I would also consider purchasing the CF bits from a vendor vs ordering from GM. I bought the exposed CF Stage 2 Aero kit from Caravaggio which included the splitter, side skirts and OEM aero plate and mounting hardware for just over half the price of the OEM option and this included shipping and $200 for the dealer to install.

I opted out of the suede inserts as well.
SyberSaint (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I think you need to look at your last vehicle to decide how "tough" and resilient this one needs to be. If you never curbed a wheel or anything like that, exposed looks better. If you have a habit of a little road rash here and there, painted is likely a better choice.

Suede is a personal choice but I worry it's harder to clean than leather. Especially a steering wheel, I wouldn't want a used one from some sweaty-handed guy!
SyberSaint (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

I got the carbon flash because it matches everything else on the car. I am now painting my roof CF to match :-)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:47 PM
SyberSaint
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems that no one want to comment on the suede inserts... Is there a reason for that?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:10 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SyberSaint
Seems that no one want to comment on the suede inserts... Is there a reason for that?
I have occasionally read here and there where some owners love the suede and maybe it is because their cars came with it. I am also surprised the suede owners have not chimed in one way or the other.

You may have to start a new thread as this thread you ask about ground effects and then bring up suede. maybe next time ask about suede and bring up ground effects and see if the results differ.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Most people that have the microfiber suede love it - and I've got it on order for my car that will be built next week and delivered about the first week of March.

As far as the visible Carbon Fiber aero pieces, one of the problems with it is that it is often on constraint - I think it's on restraint right now, so no telling how long you'd wait to get your car built if you want it.

I'm getting carbon flash on my car. My ZR1 has the visible Carbon Fiber splitter and side skirts, and I'm on my 5th splitter and second set of side skirts - and all of them after the original ones have been aftermarket. The aftermarket ones look the same and are A LOT cheaper!!!! On my C7 Z06 I didn't want to wait on a constraint that might add weeks or months to delivery, and I just didn't need the additional expense. The visible Carbon Fiber does look very nice, so you'll have to decide if it's worth the extra money and wait.

Talk with your dealer about the constraint on it.

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-09-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I think the main appeal to the suede is for track junkies. Just like race seats, leather slides and is not preferred. Same goes for the steering wheel and shifter, the grip is just much better even if you are wearing gloves. It really isn't something I would pick because it is "nicer" or a "premium" option.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I think the main appeal to the suede is for track junkies. Just like race seats, leather slides and is not preferred. Same goes for the steering wheel and shifter, the grip is just much better even if you are wearing gloves. It really isn't something I would pick because it is "nicer" or a "premium" option.
If you get the Competition seats with the suede inserts you also get a suede steering wheel and shifter.

If you get the Touring seats with the suede inserts, that's all you get. You get the standard wheel and shifter (no suede).

SyberSaint (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM
WzUpDoc
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
I have occasionally read here and there where some owners love the suede and maybe it is because their cars came with it. I am also surprised the suede owners have not chimed in one way or the other.

You may have to start a new thread as this thread you ask about ground effects and then bring up suede. maybe next time ask about suede and bring up ground effects and see if the results differ.
I have an arctic white Z06/Z07 and preferred the carbon flash aero for ease of repair and I like the contrast of the black against the white. I also ordered the two tone adrenaline red seats. You can order it all leather with black outside and red inside or reverse it and get red outside and black "suede" inside. I chose the latter for several reason. I think the alcantara(suede) gives the seat a sportier look. It is cooler in the summer(especially if the top is off and the sun is shining directly on the seat) and warmer in the winter. The alcantara is resistant to sliding when doing spirited driving. Some worry about keeping it clean over time. I do not believe this will be the case but time will tell. I own an airplane with alcantara seats that is now over 15 yrs old and the interior looks like new. The fabric cleans easily with soap and water and to date has been very durable.
SyberSaint (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 PM
JRRZR1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the suede and wanted the inserts for the track. I did not want it on the wheel but have come to prefer it now that I have it. I wish my other cars had it. The inserts are also neither too hot in the sun nor too cold in the winter months. I just order another car and made sure I ordered the suede seat inserts.
SyberSaint (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

For you carbon flash folks there is a compromise. I hear over and over buying the real carbon look is for the "look". Most could care less about the high strength light weight material it is. Most cities or large towns have vinyl installers that can match the real look so close and nice that even the super car guy can be fooled. I've seen it many times and is almost laughable!

So, rap your carbon flash paint with vinyl. Damage it take it to a body shop rip off the vinyl repair, paint and reapply. My vinyl guy wants to do my car so bad he's promised it would look 95% close to the real thing. Possibly some day but track performance is taking the cake at the moment.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SyberSaint
My 15 C7 Z06/7 has both the CF and the suede seats, and lot of Sunshine. I have had the CF on my ZR1 for 5 yrs and never damaged the splitters. Even bumped it once on the ZR but no damage. Beautiful!
Also, the Suede inserts are better than leather, never slipping in the seats and this car can put out some G's going, stopping, and sideways. But a major advantage is it is never Cold Or Hot when getting in. The vented seats work great too. Not an issue for cleaning, 4200 miles on Kalahari color.
Attached Images  

Last edited by VetterFlyer; 02-10-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ground Effects Question

Old 02-10-2016, 12:50 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VetterFlyer
My 15 C7 Z06/7 has both the CF and the suede seats, and lot of Sunshine. I have had the CF on my ZR1 for 5 yrs and never damaged the splitters. Even bumped it once on the ZR but no damage. Beautiful!
Also, the Suede inserts are better than leather, never slipping in the seats and this car can put out some G's going, stopping, and sideways. But a major advantage is it is never Cold Or Hot when getting in. The vented seats work great too. Not an issue for cleaning, 4200 miles on Kalahari color.
Added picture of interior.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jaden61

Seems as if post #10 brought suede to life.

Last edited by jaden61; 02-10-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
mjpcowboy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a C7 with GT seats and now have Z06 with competition seats with suede inserts a prefer them over not having them. I also have exposed carbon love the look and have had zero issues with damage to any of the pieces.

Quick Reply: Ground Effects Question