C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tadge's feedback on Motor Trend Head to Head at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Tadge's feedback on Motor Trend Head to Head at Laguna Seca

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...guna-seca.html

Popular Reply

02-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't really understand why we continue to waste Tadge's time asking him about the performance of the Z06 in this magazine test or that magazine test and/or why it wasn't faster than car A or car B in said tests. Is this really that important? And if so...why?
I would much rather see him answer tech questions, not "why didn't the Z06 beat the ACR" questions.
The car is very fast. Aside from a completely track-focused Viper, it ran one of the fastest MT times ever at Laguna Seca for a stock car. And a couple of sources have confirmed it was a green track and the car could have even gone a little faster. Is it not enough? And if not, why?
95% of Z06 owners will never track their car, and then, probably 90%+ won't push the car anywhere near it's limits. Probably the same percentages apply to ACR. Just be happy they are as fast as they are...which is pretty damn fast. If in same-day, same-track, same-driver testing the ACR is a couple seconds faster with its big aero and bespoke V720 Kumhos, I can live with that.
S.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Tadge:
"The Viper was set up for that track very well. Randy had just been in it one month earlier with SRT to set their claimed track record at Laguna Seca, so Dodge had the opportunity to fine tune the Viper for Laguna Seca. In the review, Motor Trend mentions that, "Dodge also gave us another ACR set up in Track mode — different compression and rebound settings for the dampers, a larger front splitter, a larger rear diffuser, and a different angle on the wing." One advantage of having a large rear wing, is that small changes in attack angle have a big impact to pitch moment, so you tune the aero-driven under/over steer balance at will. Of course, there are numerous disadvantages as well, such as the reduced practicality of the car."

sounds like he doesn't believe the Viper record time?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:45 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

I don't think he doubts it, just stressing Dodge and Randy had more time with the Viper. I wonder how he knows the two cars are closer on other tracks. Did they run them against each other or use Dodge claimed times.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
I don't think he doubts it, just stressing Dodge and Randy had more time with the Viper. I wonder how he knows the two cars are closer on other tracks. Did they run them against each other or use Dodge claimed times.
so, why call it a "claimed time" then?

also he makes it sound like it was some kind of ringer by using the standard (for the extreme aero option) 2 way adjustable dampers, the diffuser extensions, the adjustable wing and the add on front splitter---this is what Dodge advertises as making the car so adjustable to different tracks/downforce requirements, so I don't know why it would be news to Tadge
Old 02-12-2016, 09:04 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

This was a head to head by MT. Both cars driven on the same track with the same driver (Randy Pobst).

I agree with Tadge that had the track been better - the Z06's time would have better. That said BOTH cars would have better laps lol. I do think the Z06 is capable of a 1.31ish time. It's obvious the track was suboptimal as the additionally dialed in ACR was also slower this time out.

Tadge is silly however to discuss the "advantage" of the engineers adjusting the car. That is what the ACR is - a fully adjustable track specifc car. The first car that Randy did the record run in was also an extreme aero packaged car.

What should be focused on is the fact the ACR and Z06 are competing against nearly 1000 HP over a million dollar cars. The ACR is faster than both of them and the Z06 does better than an all round 650 HP car should. Both are top 5 fastest.

Not too shabby.
The following 2 users liked this post by vtknight:
JeffInDFW (03-15-2016), Shysterman69 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

their claimed track record
Sour grapes. How long has the Z06 been out for them to get setup for Laguna Seca? How many times does MT need to run the Z06 there for him not to give excuses?

The time was good for the Z06. It'll out perform almost every single driver that owns one.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Sour grapes. How long has the Z06 been out for them to get setup for Laguna Seca? How many times does MT need to run the Z06 there for him not to give excuses?

The time was good for the Z06. It'll out perform almost every single driver that owns one.
Some facts, Dodge did rent Laguna Seca for their engineers /race team drivers to get the setup right specifically for Laguna Seca before handing the ACR to Randy. Not to mention the semi truck loaded with Kumho tires. Maybe running one or two laps on each set of tires while it had maximum grip to nail the fastest lap possible. They did this at several tracks to get new lap records and make some noise for the ACR. Who knows what parts were used that are not on the production car as Tadge stated ( larger splitter and diffuser). It's a publicity stunt that didn't translate to any real sales. That doesn't mean that the ACR is not an awesome car. On the other hand the way these lap records were achieved do not reveal the true picture.
I don't recall hearing about GM doing what Dodge did at Laguna Seca.

Last edited by 5thGear; 02-12-2016 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bwright (02-16-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Ali while I agree with you, this may also be a reason why a Ring time don't matter.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Some facts, Dodge did rent Laguna Seca for their engineers /race team drivers to get the setup right specifically for Laguna Seca before handing the ACR to Randy. Not to mention the semi truck loaded with Kumho tires. Maybe running one or two laps on each set of tires while it had maximum grip to nail the fastest lap possible. They did this at several tracks to get new lap records and make some noise for the ACR. Who knows what parts were used that are not on the production car as Tadge stated ( larger splitter and diffuser). It's a publicity stunt that didn't translate to any real sales. That doesn't mean that the ACR is not an awesome car. On the other hand the way these lap records were achieved do not reveal the true picture.

The results were verified by SCCA, you and Tadge need to remove the tin foil.

There really isn't anything to prevent Chevy from tuning their cars to the tracks either. Which, if I recall correctly they did that for Road Atlanta when the Z06 was tested by Road and Track and didn't fair well against the GT-R.

Again, the Z06 did quite well at Laguna Seca. If Chevy wants to step up, they need to step up and deliver and stop making excuses.
JeffInDFW (03-15-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I don't see any problem at all with Dodge doing that. That's one of the beauties of the ACR, its track adjustability.

Tadge is just a bit butt hurt about the ACR time. Something I'm sure we'll see in spades in the some of the posts in this thread.

I view the ACR time as representative of what a very track focused machine can do. If team Corvette continue to the develop the vette and can close that gap, or parts of it, with a car that is a better all rounder, then the ACR's performance will serve all of us well.
johnglenntwo (02-13-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Same BS excuses....what the hell would Tadge's engineer do to the Z06 to "set it up" ? there's nothing to adjust other than the rear wing....cry me a river! if anything I bet the ACR would be more difficult to set up by your average track guy because it has SO MANY adjustments that one could potentially go the wrong way and worsen the handling....so yes it makes sense to me that Dodge would have his engineer set up the car "correctly" to do an apple to apple comparo...on the Z06, you turn a **** and you add some wing, done...hard to screw that up...which in itself is great for guys like us that track for fun....I can only imagine having to go through 18 shock settings, and another dozen aero setting and ride hight and so forth...yeah it's great IF you know what you're doing....I know I would be lost....I'd still by an ACR though, just because :P
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I am sure by about 15 laps in that the Z would be putting down blistering laps, eclipsing the initial time delta
Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 PM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Nonsense. Suck up the fact you got beaten and be humble about it. The ACR is likely just better on the track.

Excuses till the cows come home there. If your so upset, then why wasn't the Z set up better? Either chevy has poorer engineers or the ACR is just better. Show respect to your competition and you will get more respect in return for the accomplishments that the Z does have.

Last edited by RajeeK; 02-12-2016 at 11:54 PM.
JeffInDFW (03-15-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 02:07 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Changing out parts like that was more likely the reason that both Gen IV ACRs spent 2 days @ german racing shop that races Vipers before running the 7:12.xx @ Nurburgring. SRT did the same with the TA @ LS when the ZR1 pummeled the Gen V Viper first released. Spent couple days there fine tuning the car before finally giving it to Randy.

Nothing new here folks. I guess its GMs fault for not doing this as well. Perhaps..next time they will.

Last edited by Lavender; 02-13-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Ali while I agree with you, this may also be a reason why a Ring time don't matter.
because ?

Not knocking down Laguna, VIR, Road Atlanta or any other tracks in the US. BUT you need to get a little real about what you are putting down.

Nurburgring is out of this world, 14 miles, 1000 feet elevation change and track conditions you need to experience to believe.... 90% blind turns, off camber etc etc.

All the other manufactures use it as a benchmark, Auto magazines retest their claim.... and its available to everyone not only through special events, rented track days, but public days.
WE should be glad this track is not in the US, it would have been closed after death 3.....
Today death rate is a lot better than in the old days, but still between 5-12 every year.... i think record was 50+

So its more than a track, its the green Hell

Oh and the world doesn't end by US east coast
Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Same BS excuses....what the hell would Tadge's engineer do to the Z06 to "set it up" ? there's nothing to adjust other than the rear wing....cry me a river! if anything I bet the ACR would be more difficult to set up by your average track guy because it has SO MANY adjustments that one could potentially go the wrong way and worsen the handling....so yes it makes sense to me that Dodge would have his engineer set up the car "correctly" to do an apple to apple comparo...on the Z06, you turn a **** and you add some wing, done...hard to screw that up...which in itself is great for guys like us that track for fun....I can only imagine having to go through 18 shock settings, and another dozen aero setting and ride hight and so forth...yeah it's great IF you know what you're doing....I know I would be lost....I'd still by an ACR though, just because :P
They could change and adjust the rake (give more rear downforce)
They could make sure the alignment is 100% for that track
They could make sure that tires where top condition
They could make sure it had good fuel and NO loss of power after 10 min

GM doesn't do this ...... Its a street car...
buy, race and go for a long comfortable trip home :-)

I witnessed a Magazine test at SPA, Corvette ZR1 vs. Ferrari Fi Scuderia.....
Ferrari showed up with a Pratt&Miller size trailer, numerous tire change, numerous alignment change and a team of 20+ persons....

Chevrolet Europe showed up in a beat up ZR1 loaner..., worn out cupped tires.. but a friendly marketing guy :-)
He just filled up with 93 Octane fuel on track (he could have filled up in Germany 10 minutes away with 98 octane)

Anyway, that test was a Chevy victory non the less.... if i remember correct 2.51.3 to a 2.53.... must have been 2010 or 2011

Then we have had some glorious test in Europe after that... Zr1 lap time 7.19 and Z06 lap time 7.22 on Nurburgring..... shocking the whole Europe posh finest automobile industry (and owners) :-)

new C7 Z06 crushed Sachsensring lap record for original street cars, until Porsche 918 reclaimed it....
So Porsche finest did muster to a TENTH of a SECOND faster lap costing 900.000 usd more..... So basically you can buy a SUV, a house a C7 Z06 and still have money over to go racing and only be a 0.1 sec behind :-)

I know some doesn't care about Nurburgring lap times..... but Chevy needs to step up and give us a lightning lap from Nurburgring
RC000E (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

It's known that PSC2 tires have one to two laps in them for full grip - GM does the same as do all manufacturers. Again, the ACR is a fully adjustable track specific car. Optimizing it for a track isn't cheating. The Z06 has adjustability too - just not as much of course as it isn't as track specific. See my post above for the real point.

Get notified of new replies

To Tadge's feedback on Motor Trend Head to Head at Laguna Seca

Old 02-13-2016, 09:13 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I give it to dodge. At least they do it. They strip some of the interior add a roll cage, bring in the engineers, tire guys, and a hot shoe driver.

GM should of done the same but they didn't and want. Shame on them. This car has the potential to run some really impressive times if the above was done.

I wont defend GM for not doing it.

I will say that the track record times dont mean crap if no one in the whole country that buys one of these cars cant duplicate or get even close to the lap record times. Do we buy a car to only say what it can do or do we buy a car to show what it can do?
Hemi Dave (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Ali, you mentioned in the other thread the GT3RS was totaled in the end of the test? What source did you get that from...people there?

Last edited by RC000E; 02-13-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:25 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey guys, remember that Tadge also claimed that the Z06 ran well at the Nurburgring. He also claimed that results were going to be shared.

Also, some of you guys are in denial if you think GM didn't have their own engineers attend these magazine tests. How quickly you forget that GM even developed a custom shock setting for bumpy tracks, just to go dominate at Willow. They also do custom alignment settings for these track tests. Every manufacturer does this, nowadays.
Hirohawa (02-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Tadge's feedback on Motor Trend Head to Head at Laguna Seca