C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Octane? (drag racing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Octane? (drag racing)

Hey guys,

As I try and figure out the complexities of my C7Z, it is becoming fairly obvious that these cars LOVE octane! I am wondering what octane everyone is using at the drag strip to get their best times? I'm also wondering if anyone is using 10% ethanol or pure gasoline only (91-93 octane)? I live in the midwest and almost all of our fuel is 91 octane at best and most have 10% ethanol mixed in. I have read several reviews that say to try and stay away from ethanol blended fuels in race applications. I have been using Torco to try and get a few octane points, but I'm wondering if it's better to find a race fuel (100 octane unleaded) station for track days? This is obviously more expensive and way more work than dumping a 32oz can of Torco in the tank.

Any words of advice. I'm guessing that the guys running mid-10's on "bone stock" cars are running higher octane? Still learning what she likes.

Is there such a thing as too much octane in these cars? Sure doesn't seem like it.

Thanks!

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 02-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Totally a guess, but I bet these cars would relish 94.

The only way you'd know is to log a run with 92, look at the timing, and do it again with higher octane and do the same, then compare.

If the timing is the same, the higher octane (theoretically) will make you slower as it dilutes the fuel a little. But if the engine was able to take advantage of the additional octane, you'll see more timing (less retard) on the high-octane pass.

Because the key is that the right amount is perfect and more isn't better.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:13 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Totally a guess, but I bet these cars would relish 94.

The only way you'd know is to log a run with 92, look at the timing, and do it again with higher octane and do the same, then compare.

If the timing is the same, the higher octane (theoretically) will make you slower as it dilutes the fuel a little. But if the engine was able to take advantage of the additional octane, you'll see more timing (less retard) on the high-octane pass.

Because the key is that the right amount is perfect and more isn't better.
Thanks man. I plan to data log in the spring, but I was wondering what everyone else was running at the track to get their "hero runs"? It has to be higher octane.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I don't think you're gonna get anymore power with higher octane unless you're tuned for it, HOWEVER, it might help the car from pulling timing so quickly. We only have 91 here in Phoenix...but you can get 100octane at the pump for $7.75 a gallon and 95 for 5.50 a gallon, LOL! You can also buy VP MS109 for $75 (5gal).

I think the best, most cost effective way is to use BOOSTANE. I've used it before and it does a nice job. I have read that it's a lot better than Torco. I've never used Torco...but have read BOOSTANE is far superior. It's $20-$30 for a 16oz can, which will raise a 15 gallon tank of 93 octane up to 96 I believe...or a 5 gallon tank up to 101 ish...I have to check the chart again...it's been a while...

I'm certainly no expert though...
Old 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

DIY mix for any octane up to 105 octane.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by PLRX

DIY mix for any octane up to 105 octane.

How is this any different from Torco?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

How is this any different from Torco?
I agree...where is the data that shows TORCO performing poorly? I've used it before on other motors with zero issues....someone had better provide the data before slamming this product because based on personal experience I will find it VERY hard to believe!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't think its data as nobody probably has that except for chemists. They are are probably going off of guys that do quarter mile and just trying comparison stuff.

About a day ago, Jim at Halltech had mentioned that he or some race guys say that "Torco" is marginal at best and he/they like "Toluene".

1QUICK Z, you do any research on the "Toluene" Halltech had mentioned?

Last edited by ktoonsez; 02-23-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ktoonsez
I don't think its data as nobody probably has that except for chemists. They are are probably going off of guys that do quarter mile and just trying comparison stuff.

About a day ago, Jim at Halltech had mentioned that he or some race guys say that "Torco" is marginal at best and he/they like "Toluene".

1QUICK Z, you do any research on the "Toluene" Halltech had mentioned?
Yeah, I did. I found out that Toluene is very hard on cats. It also doesn't have the lubrication qualities of race fuel or Torco. Not putting that in my motor! It's basically a paint thinner.

Thus, the new thread...

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 02-23-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm not a chemist...but from talking to people at the strip they seem to prefer Boostane these days...Even the GTR forums and Fordgt500 and CTVS forums are talking about it.

Obviously marketing...but it's been getting some attention lately...

Old 02-23-2016, 03:40 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I'm not a chemist...but from talking to people at the strip they seem to prefer Boostane these days...Even the GTR forums and Fordgt500 and CTVS forums are talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-WmsURxC18
Interesting for sure, but not enough to convince me "why" it's better than Torco in my application. I use a 32oz can or Torco to a half tank of premium fuel (91 to 93 octane, if I can find it) and then it gets used at the track that same day. Not sure that I give it much time to "settle".
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Interesting for sure, but not enough to convince me "why" it's better than Torco in my application. I use a 32oz can or Torco to a half tank of premium fuel (91 to 93 octane, if I can find it) and then it gets used at the track that same day. Not sure that I give it much time to "settle".
So what octane do you think it brings it up to doing the 32oz for a half of tank?

Sounds like I need to run another experiment of logging with the 2 different kinds

Last edited by ktoonsez; 02-23-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ktoonsez
So what octane do you think it brings it up to doing the 32oz for a half of tank?

Sounds like I need to run another experiment of logging with the 2 different kinds
If you look on the can of Torco, it "should" bring it up quite a few points, but my previous tuner told me that it was probably bringing it up 4 points or so, realistically.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

This video proves ABSOLUTELY nothing related to octane performance in actual use....just as you state, a marketing ploy! Let's get serious for a minute....you can only imagine how much sloshing around a gas tank goes through in driving. It would be great for the same IDIOT that made this video to hook up a laptop to a car and compare KR between these two products down a dragstrip or on a racetrack....if Torco shows KR whereas the the BOOSTane doesn't then case closed otherwise I'll continue to use Torco!

Jim at Halltech had mentioned that he or some race guys say that "Torco" is marginal at best
Sorry, hearsay is not admissible ...especially if the "other" guys are sponsored by BOOSTane!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:03 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Spoken like a true scholar!!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:04 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

If you look on the can of Torco, it "should" bring it up quite a few points, but my previous tuner told me that it was probably bringing it up 4 points or so, realistically.
As ZoratZ06 said in AZ we also have that crappy 91 gas as well, probably only 84 for all we know, so that would be a nice bump being at 95, that would almost get the octane up to a real state.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:06 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-WmsURxC18
Ok, so I just got off of the phone with tech support at Torco. The "settling" that you are seeing is MMT. Boostane likely has this same ingredient since it is the best liquid octane booster, that is unleaded, on the market today. Boostane has a thicker (almost diesel-like) fluid that must contain these particles a little better? Here's the kicker.... this ONLY happens when it comes in contact with UV light for extended periods of time. This is the reason why both companies use metal containers to contain the liquid. So, unless you are doing this test and then putting it in your tank, this is a NON-issue. I figured there had to be a good explanation. Dang salespeople....

And I've been in sales for over 20 years!

Get notified of new replies

To Octane? (drag racing)

Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Octane, or more accurately, Octane Number is a measure of the sensitivity of a motorfuel to "knock" or, ignition based upon cylinder temp and pressure versus spark. Unless you are reading the CANBUS ECU output to discover when the computer begins to pull timing you have no clue what effect "octane" has on your engine other than the manufacturers recommendation. Increasing "octane" above that level on a purely stock engine (and that includes tune) is an exercise in mental masturbation. Does nothing.

1. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...end_Components
2. https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._gasoline_fuel
Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Ok, so I just got off of the phone with tech support at Torco. The "settling" that you are seeing is MMT. Boostane likely has this same ingredient since it is the best liquid octane booster, that is unleaded, on the market today. Boostane has a thicker (almost diesel-like) fluid that must contain these particles a little better? Here's the kicker.... this ONLY happens when it comes in contact with UV light for extended periods of time. This is the reason why both companies use metal containers to contain the liquid. So, unless you are doing this test and then putting it in your tank, this is a NON-issue. I figured there had to be a good explanation. Dang salespeople....

And I've been in sales for over 20 years!
AWESOME!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by BWFitz
Octane, or more accurately, Octane Number is a measure of the sensitivity of a motorfuel to "knock" or, ignition based upon cylinder temp and pressure versus spark. Unless you are reading the CANBUS ECU output to discover when the computer begins to pull timing you have no clue what effect "octane" has on your engine other than the manufacturers recommendation. Increasing "octane" above that level on a purely stock engine (and that includes tune) is an exercise in mental masturbation. Does nothing.

1. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...end_Components
2. https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._gasoline_fuel
Not sure how you can say that? Even Tadge has made several comments on how this engine "likes" octane. On most engines, I would completely agree with you. Extra octane is a waste of time, but I don't think this is the case on this "highly sensitive" engine.

Quick Reply: Octane? (drag racing)