C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Helmet

Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Helmet

I need advice on a snel approved helmet. The issue I'm having is that I'm 6 4 and every helmet I've tried on hits the top of the head board. Is there a helmet that offers more clearance? I've tried positioning my seat every way and can't find much more room. If there's a better way to position my seat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't think you're going to find much variance in helmets, but buying one that does not have top mounted vents for CoolSuit/vent fittings will save maybe ~1/4". Also, the transparent top offers a little more headroom than the standard or exposed CF roofs do.
I'm 6'3", and position my seat low for my helmet to clear. It still rubs somewhere, as it squeaks when I'm on-track.
S.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Thanks for the reply I was hoping that someone else is having similiar issues and had a solution. Do you notice any wear on the interior?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Thanks for asking the same question that I was wondering. When I was at spring mountain my head was pinned to the roof with he helmet on. I will try the transparent roof to see if that is any better. I'm going to be at local speed shop this weekend to look at helmets. I'm 6.2 it's not horrible but it is a bit annoying. When I was at spring mountain there was one guy that was 6.5 and was unable to drive with a helmet on.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
Thanks for asking the same question that I was wondering. When I was at spring mountain my head was pinned to the roof with he helmet on. I will try the transparent roof to see if that is any better. I'm going to be at local speed shop this weekend to look at helmets. I'm 6.2 it's not horrible but it is a bit annoying. When I was at spring mountain there was one guy that was 6.5 and was unable to drive with a helmet on.
When I went to Spring Mountain I signed a helmet waiver so I didn't have to wear one either. I'm 6'2" and it's very tight when I run at the local drag strip.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Nadovedan
I need advice on a snel approved helmet. The issue I'm having is that I'm 6 4 and every helmet I've tried on hits the top of the head board. Is there a helmet that offers more clearance? I've tried positioning my seat every way and can't find much more room. If there's a better way to position my seat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It may not be what you want to hear, but take the top off.

All Joking aside, I did an SRT track event years ago, (I am 6'4" too) and they stuck me in a Convertible SRT Crossfire with a help and it was a hoot...otherwise I would not have fit.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thanks for the reply I was hoping that someone else is having similiar issues and had a solution. Do you notice any wear on the interior?
I haven't seen any wear, but think it's rubbing on some interior trim somewhere behind my head.
S.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you don't have a transparent top remove the headliner from the solid top. That is added after the top is constructed so should be removable. That will give you the same clearance as the glass top without spending $$ for a glass top.

Bill
Old 03-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone have advice on seat adjustment to get as much room as possible. I've tried on my own but I like to know how others have setup their seat settings.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:46 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Default helmet

I always liked this helmet.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 AM
SpudMuffin
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone have advice on seat adjustment to get as much room as possible. I've tried on my own but I like to know how others have setup their seat settings.
I am 6'2" and need to drop my seat (competition version) to it's lowest setting then adjust the seat angle backwards until my helmet is no longer touching. I then move the seat forward and adjust the steering wheel until I can rest my arms on the top of the steering wheel (without leaning forward) right at the point where my wrists bend over the wheel.

I'm not sure if I could tolerate a whole lot more backwards angle if I were taller. A racing seat bolted to the floor is likely a good option for the 6'4" crowd.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmet