C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Design Whipple 2.9..... Fit under Z06 hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Kerviper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkgreyZ06

from the pictures of the Whipple blower on the Yenko car it doesn't look like there are lines for the Heat Exchanger cores like on the Camaro and CTSV variants, unless the lines are hidden in the available pictures that have been released.

Also it is missing the bypass valve from it's normal place. This will be a big negative. Hopefully it's not the final version on this press car. I have been waiting for this unit or the new Eaton pack, but if they cant keep the cooling down and low rpm characteristics like factory then they why wouldn't I buy a procharger. I see those two features as very important to this type of unit to be a viable option for guys who don't want a drag car but more power. With the new "ZR1" having what looks like a taller hood and extra inlets you can be pretty sure it has the new Eaton pack. I don't like the new front bumper but I bet that larger supercharger and the hood mated to the Z06 would be a good/fairly inexpensive option in the near future as well.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:23 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks pretty nasty under the hood!

I wonder if it would run much cooler of you kept it near stock power.

How would the blower do if you will wanted to do road courses?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Kerviper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Looks pretty nasty under the hood!

I wonder if it would run much cooler of you kept it near stock power.

How would the blower do if you will wanted to do road courses?

When Vengeance put the 2.3 on back in the day they made the observation that it was cooler than the factory blower. I would assume the same would be true for this as well. The 2.3 still had cooling and the bypass valve though. I would see it being very poor for a road course with out the two features. The twin screw is inherently a cooler running unit according to Whipple but I would say what is seen on the Yenko car would be a step backwards for the road course and the street. Maybe Whipple can shed some info soon.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbird440
whipple=chubby

roots if for 40 year old diesels
twin screw is where its at bro whipple all the way

hulk is incorrect whipple is not a roots its a twin screw look the same spin opposite directions....
yes, hulk wrong, must of been to angry to answer question.... So guys tell me about the whipple , is it amazing, will it work good with my system? Ive done almost every mod except no heads,no cam,im thinking doing cam, top end and whipple and calling it a day, that way i dont have to get rid of my current set up doing a procharger
The following users liked this post:
BigBird440 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 AM
REDHULK
Instructor

So i currently make 670rwhp and 735rwtq on my current set up, ported blower, meth injec,ported throttle body,haltech intake and ram air,s/c pulley and balancer, american racing headers, heat exchanger with resovoir tank, belts, plugs, etc, its either this new whipple 2.9 or going for it procharger f1x. The procharger will obviously make more power but its 3 times as much for all the stuff i need to do with it. My car now is basicly to fast for the street, im doing half mile racing but still want to be able to drive on the streets. Sounds like if i go with the whipple i can just pop off the old roots 1.7 and put on the whipple 2.9 pretty easy. I would do a cam, just cause i want to with top end and call it a day, and im guesing i can put down 800rwhp??? This would save me alot of money and not going to far. Im guesing i will probably need a clutch as well. Does this all sound true to you tuners out there? As far as easy to install and will probably make 800rwhp? What are the negatives about doing the whipple? Talk to me
Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 532 Posts

is this def the Whipple on the "yenko car"? The case looks completely different then the 2.9 on there site. Even the angled lines on the lid are facing a different direction then the one Whipple makes for the other LT Cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
BigBird440
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHULK
yes, hulk wrong, must of been to angry to answer question.... So guys tell me about the whipple , is it amazing, will it work good with my system? Ive done almost every mod except no heads,no cam,im thinking doing cam, top end and whipple and calling it a day, that way i dont have to get rid of my current set up doing a procharger
HULK!!
on my c6z i currently have heads cam meth and 2.9 whipple LS7
she made 730/666 at 8psi on a stock short
my LME dart LSneXt will be going in shortly for big boost but NO complaints on my setup 2 seasons iv been banging gears with zero issues other than traction
B&B headers and akrapovic Ti Evo out back
taking it easy she went 10.30 @ 143 mph ( ac on window open stereo banging ACDC lol )
Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 PM
BigBird440
Racer

for my c7z i have already come up with a plan

intake ( halltech)
Whipple (upside down style)
2" header
akrapovic Ti (a must)
DeWitts cooling package (rad heat exchanger and oil cooler)
IC water expansion tank
and after all that makes me smile i will chat with my good buddy Bryan over at LME about causing some real envy with a custom long block ( farther down the road)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:54 PM
REDHULK
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigbird440
hulk!!
On my c6z i currently have heads cam meth and 2.9 whipple ls7
she made 730/666 at 8psi on a stock short
my lme dart lsnext will be going in shortly for big boost but no complaints on my setup 2 seasons iv been banging gears with zero issues other than traction
b&b headers and akrapovic ti evo out back
taking it easy she went 10.30 @ 143 mph ( ac on window open stereo banging acdc lol )
awesome my brotha thats great to hear, wondering with just the new whipple and cam if this will give me another 100rwhp or so, would love to get around 800rwhp and not have to take a second out on my morgage to do it, lol
Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
BigBird440
Racer

lol Whipple aint cheep but the wise man said "nothing worth doing is cheep or easy"
you can sell that 1.7 to a cammaro guy or even a stingray owner will help
and hell i bet you top more than 100 extra ponies with a whipple
many of my friends grossly underestimated the power potential of my twinscrew monster and 1st dyno shut them right up
Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
sharkgreyZ06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
is this def the Whipple on the "yenko car"? The case looks completely different then the 2.9 on there site. Even the angled lines on the lid are facing a different direction then the one Whipple makes for the other LT Cars.
yes, these are pictures of the yenko car. The Whipple charger on the yenko is a different variant than the one for camaro and CTSV (at least visually from available pictures of each). It looks like they removed the Heat Exchanger cores to reduce height of the unit, at least what I'm interpreting from the pictures. Maybe someone from Whipple could chime in?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM
BigBird440
Racer

im hoping they DID NOT remove the IC system that would be BAD BAD BAD
ill go on a limb and say they moved or relocated it to the rear (hoping) a better pic or good look under the hood in person would be best
Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a Whipple 2.9 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and a 4.0 liter in my FGT. They make serious power!
The following users liked this post:
BigBird440 (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
I thought the same thing. Looks more like a Magnusson than anything else.

Last edited by Is2scooby; 01-17-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: New Design Whipple 2.9..... Fit under Z06 hood