C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Should I make the trade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Should I make the trade?

I currently own 3 cars
-2001 Silverado

-2008 Z06

-2012 CTS-V Wagon

Currently the CTS-V is my DD, the truck (which sits garaged at my Inlaws) is my old DD and I use it for truck stuff as needed. Lately I've been thinking about trading in the CTS-V on a new CTS-V and that is a whole other discussion in and itself. I'd like to add a C7 Z06 to my collection some point down the road, but I have really no where to put it. I have a 2 car garage and my wife's car takes one slot. for the short roof in our garage, a lift is not practical, although I'd love one.

Ideally I'd have 5 cars; A truck (for truck stuff), CTS-V or some sedan to drive every day, my 08 Z06, the latest Z06, and my wife's car. But that still leaves no room to put them, unless I can bum room in another person's garage. I've also talked about selling the truck for one of the new sierra's with a 6.2L, it would be nice to have that power and a crew cab for our family, mine is only a extended cab.

My friend suggested I sell the truck, sell the Z06, sell the CTS-v and pick up a 16' Sierra Crew cab SLT 6.2L 4x4 and a 16/17' Z06. I would pay cash for the truck and a sizable down payment on the Z06. I'd probably pick up a CTS-V after I paid off the Z06.

It all sounds good but here are my issues with it:
I love my Z06 and the memories from road trips in it, I love what it is, the engine, and what it meant in engineering at the time. The problem is I don't really have much need for it other than I like it and it was my first vette and I don't think they will make another big displacement engine, but if I had a new Z06, I don't know what I would do with my current z06 other than nostalgia.

I love my truck and while it is getting on in age, there is nothing really wrong with it, it has a few minor things here and there, but for my current purposes, sitting around most of the time, it works just fine. It would also mean I would need to go back to driving a truck everyday for a few years until the vette is paid off, and I don't know if I want to do that. I've also had two service advisers say that body style is the most dependable they have seen, actually one is offering to buy it off me.

I guess this whole thing, and the reason I am posting here, is if it is worth it to upgrade from my Z06 to a new Z06, or wait a bit.

Last edited by stone150; 03-29-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

IMO, you should keep the V wagon...those are rare birds...
Old 03-28-2016, 01:45 PM
vampire81
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

ur 2008 z06 is gold
Old 03-28-2016, 01:56 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

You didn't show the roof of the garage, but it is possible to re truss the roof to gain additional clearance for a lift. Talk to a contractor.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Keep the wagon as a DD. Trade the C6 up to C7. The truck? When was the last time you really needed the truck to haul stuff? How often do you need to use it for cargo you can't carry in the Caddy? You may no longer have a need for it.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like your wagon is missing a wheel or two
Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

you typed re: your Z " you really don't need it " yet you want another Z ?? Your current Z looks super clean.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Scott_in_FL
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're storing the truck at the inlaws, then you really don't need it. When you do, grab one from Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.99/hr. The wagon can haul a bunch of stuff too, so you'll find that you only need a rental truck once in a blue moon (i.e. hauling sod, or drywall, or something else large and dirty that you wouldn't want in your car).

So, the truck is gone. Now, get rid of the Z. We all know about the nostalgia that comes with the first vette. It is awesome. I actually shed a tear when my C5 was loaded up and taken away in a hauler some 15 years ago. But, everything in this industry gets better all the time (especially these days, maybe not so much back in the 60's). The new Z is better than your old one in just about every way. It won't take long for you to grow the same amount of affection for your new one, and you'll be making memories all over again. I say get rid of the old Z and get a new one.

We're left with the CTS-V wagon. Any true car enthusiast loves that wagon. It was always a rare find to see one in the wild, is tremendously practical, and unlikely to be reincarnated. I say keep it.

Last edited by Scott_in_FL; 03-28-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:47 AM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by Rguy271
IMO, you should keep the V wagon...those are rare birds...
Originally Posted by vampire81
ur 2008 z06 is gold
Kind of where my thought process has been for quite a while now.

Originally Posted by jaden61
You didn't show the roof of the garage, but it is possible to re truss the roof to gain additional clearance for a lift. Talk to a contractor.
The roof in our current house is Vaulted, and could probably get a lift in there as is, but we own a second home, that we intend to live in when my son gets out of daycare. The sad part is the garage is smaller by a few inches. Not to mention the ceiling is only 8-9 feet and the kitchen is above it. Ideally I’d put a carport off the front of the house (like a nice one) or extend the garage back, but that is our current home, our new home presents allot of issues.

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Keep the wagon as a DD. Trade the C6 up to C7. The truck? When was the last time you really needed the truck to haul stuff? How often do you need to use it for cargo you can't carry in the Caddy? You may no longer have a need for it.
Thanks, I probably use the truck every couple months. My inlaws live out in the country and we either take my wife’s car or the truck, I prefer taking the truck if it is raining as it is prone to flooding and is a gravel road. Last time I really used the truck was January when I purchased 24 14’ 1x6s for our deck and a 46” tool chest. That all being said, I could probably borrow my friends truck when needed. But I hate to ask as he is the one telling me to replace the vehicles with a new truck and Z06. But I did purchase the Wagon as a intermediary between the truck and a car, so that I wouldn’t need to drive a truck everyday. It definitely fills the gap well (hauled 4 truck wheels and tires in it, but the low roof line has it’s limitations.

Originally Posted by CDH76
Looks like your wagon is missing a wheel or two
Got it fixed!, I had to post links in a round about way and definitely missed one.

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
you typed re: your Z " you really don't need it " yet you want another Z ?? Your current Z looks super clean.
I meant to say, if I got a new Z, I really wouldn’t need my 08. My wife would argue no one really needs a Z or 556 hp in a wagon, but she somewhat understands.

Originally Posted by Scott_in_FL
If you're storing the truck at the inlaws, then you really don't need it. When you do, grab one from Home Depot or Lowe's for $19.99/hr. The wagon can haul a bunch of stuff too, so you'll find that you only need a rental truck once in a blue moon (i.e. hauling sod, or drywall, or something else large and dirty that you wouldn't want in your car).

So, the truck is gone. Now, get rid of the Z. We all know about the nostalgia that comes with the first vette. It is awesome. I actually shed a tear when my C5 was loaded up and taken away in a hauler some 15 years ago. But, everything in this industry gets better all the time (especially these days, maybe not so much back in the 60's). The new Z is better than your old one in just about every way. It won't take long for you to grow the same amount of affection for your new one, and you'll be making memories all over again. I say get rid of the old Z and get a new one.

We're left with the CTS-V wagon. Any true car enthusiast loves that wagon. It was always a rare find to see one in the wild, is tremendously practical, and unlikely to be reincarnated. I say keep it.
Thanks Scott, I guess my biggest apprehension to selling the truck is, I don’t have a lot of money tied up in it. It was stolen 2 years ago and recovered with a few parts missing. The Insurance company paid me out and gave me the truck back. I put it back to it’s former glory for about ~$2500-$3000 and it is garaged for free. That being said my service advisor is making an offer of $6500-$7000 for it. I think if I was loosing my garage space, it would be a different story. While they are working on fixing up their old home (where the truck is) to sell it, the pace they are working at and their track record with other homes, my son will be in college before anything happens. But I understand what you are saying; we have a U-haul place ¼ mile from my house, with trucks to rent.

Your thoughts on the vette have been mine as of recently. I love my vette due to the lightweight feel and the power of the LS7, not to mention the memories. That all being said, I have been getting into track days and have been taking my other cars, why you ask, because I don’t want to blow up my LS7 on track as it is out of Warranty. I’d rather have a C7 Z06 with a warranty to thrash on track. I have been thinking about simplifying my life and less cars is one way to do that. I used to be a Car detailer, so all my cars have to be in pristine shape, which means every time the truck or Z goes in the garage for a while after taking them out, they have to be cleaned, that is a PIA in and itself.

As far as the wagon, I like what the car is, I love the look, the utility and power, but it is heavy and I mean heavy. My truck weighs 4800 lbs, the Wagon weighs 4400 and you can tell. I’ve just never liked the driving dynamics of the car, Part of the issue is the steering is heavy and it just makes the car feel even heavier. When you put your foot in it, it goes, but around town it feels more like my truck than the vette. Part of that is because the transmission is basically out of a HD truck, but it is wonderful as a GT car to throw all your crap in and take a road trip, not to mention it can hold it’s own on canyon roads (have to take a road trip to find any of those).
Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

You actually have 2 cars and a truck...just saying.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I would be interested in all three if the price is right.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-29-2016, 11:26 AM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by randy ransome
You actually have 2 cars and a truck...just saying.
Sorry I lump my wife’s car in there too. Other than her driving it every day and picking out the color, I’ve been responsible for it, hell, I took it to the last track day. I'd like to get her something fun, so I can play with it on the weekends.

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I would be interested in all three if the price is right.
I'm sure you would

Last edited by stone150; 03-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Huh???

GOLD??? Looks like JSB to me.. LOL

Originally Posted by vampire81
ur 2008 z06 is gold
Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by stone150
Sorry I lump my wife’s car in there too. Other than her driving it every day and picking out the color, I’ve been responsible for it, hell, I took it to the last track day. I'd like to get her something fun, so I can play with it on the weekends.

I'm sure you would
I'm not sure if you took this as a joke or not but I was serious.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:17 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

Sell the truck and Z06; keep the CTS-V; buy a new Z06. My CTS-V (coupe) is my favorite all around car, so I wouldn't sell yours. Doesn't seem like you need the truck. And if you need some room to haul non-construction stuff, use the wagon. The new Z06 is a substantial step-up from previous models.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:57 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
I currently own 3 cars
-2001 Silverado

-2008 Z06

-2012 CTS-V Wagon

Currently the CTS-V is my DD, the truck (which sits garaged at my Inlaws) is my old DD and I use it for truck stuff as needed. Lately I've been thinking about trading in the CTS-V on a new CTS-V and that is a whole other discussion in and itself. I'd like to add a C7 Z06 to my collection some point down the road, but I have really no where to put it. I have a 2 car garage and my wife's car takes one slot. for the short roof in our garage, a lift is not practical, although I'd love one.

Ideally I'd have 5 cars; A truck (for truck stuff), CTS-V or some sedan to drive every day, my 08 Z06, the latest Z06, and my wife's car. But that still leaves no room to put them, unless I can bum room in another person's garage. I've also talked about selling the truck for one of the new sierra's with a 6.2L, it would be nice to have that power and a crew cab for our family, mine is only a extended cab.

My friend suggested I sell the truck, sell the Z06, sell the CTS-v and pick up a 16' Sierra Crew cab SLT 6.2L 4x4 and a 16/17' Z06. I would pay cash for the truck and a sizable down payment on the Z06. I'd probably pick up a CTS-V after I paid off the Z06.

It all sounds good but here are my issues with it:
I love my Z06 and the memories from road trips in it, I love what it is, the engine, and what it meant in engineering at the time. The problem is I don't really have much need for it other than I like it and it was my first vette and I don't think they will make another big displacement engine, but if I had a new Z06, I don't know what I would do with my current z06 other than nostalgia.

I love my truck and while it is getting on in age, there is nothing really wrong with it, it has a few minor things here and there, but for my current purposes, sitting around most of the time, it works just fine. It would also mean I would need to go back to driving a truck everyday for a few years until the vette is paid off, and I don't know if I want to do that. I've also had two service advisers say that body style is the most dependable they have seen, actually one is offering to buy it off me.

I guess this whole thing, and the reason I am posting here, is if it is worth it to upgrade from my Z06 to a new Z06, or wait a bit.
do yourself a favor ,go drive a new 16 CTS V its a big improvement over the second gen V , I ordered one in october of last year ,it came it last month and i think its more fun to drive then my 15 ZO6
Old 03-29-2016, 08:32 PM
2006m5
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Keep the pick up ....sell the wagon and the z06 .
And buy a new z06
And drive the truck all the time and corvette more often.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I make the trade?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

I traded my 2008 Jetstream Blue ZO6 on a 2016 Laguna Blue ZO6 with the ZO7 package. I loved the 08 ZO6 and had lots of fun on the track, Autocrossing and even at the Drag Strip. This new Car is in a whole different World.....ride, handling, power, cameras, recorders,you name it. I was afraid I might regret getting rid of the 08, but after two months...I am not looking back.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

If it were me,

I'd keep the truck, for truck stuff (assuming it runs good and is paid for).

Keep the V wagon as a DD toy.

Trade the C6 Z06 on a new C7 Z06 and don't look back...it's a car, not a baby boy. You'll make new memories...I guarantee it.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-29-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:41 AM
stone150
Racer

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I'm not sure if you took this as a joke or not but I was serious.
No, I figured you were serious, but it all depends on the right price

Originally Posted by fpfaeth
Sell the truck and Z06; keep the CTS-V; buy a new Z06. My CTS-V (coupe) is my favorite all around car, so I wouldn't sell yours. Doesn't seem like you need the truck. And if you need some room to haul non-construction stuff, use the wagon. The new Z06 is a substantial step-up from previous models.
If they were bringing out a new CTS-V wagon, this decision would be so much easier. Does your Coupe feel allot heavier than your vette, or is it just the wagon.

Originally Posted by foot 1
do yourself a favor ,go drive a new 16 CTS V its a big improvement over the second gen V , I ordered one in october of last year ,it came it last month and i think its more fun to drive then my 15 ZO6
I’ve heard the new CTS-Vs are a blast, I’ve had the regular CTS a few times as a loaner car and thought it felt like a slightly larger ATS (my wife’s car) and I love that car. I just have to wait until the dealership gets some in for stock, apparently there are 6 people waiting for theirs at the dealership I go to.

Originally Posted by 2006m5
Keep the pick up ....sell the wagon and the z06 .
And buy a new z06
And drive the truck all the time and corvette more often.
I’ll be honest, I would be hard to go back to driving the truck everyday, I love it and when I need it, I’ll drive it everyday for a month or so, but I do find myself missing the power and amenities of the V. The other problem I run into, is I have to park with the general public, is nerve racking enough in the Truck or wagon, but I have never driven the vette up there.

Originally Posted by 1 HOT 07
I traded my 2008 Jetstream Blue ZO6 on a 2016 Laguna Blue ZO6 with the ZO7 package. I loved the 08 ZO6 and had lots of fun on the track, Autocrossing and even at the Drag Strip. This new Car is in a whole different World.....ride, handling, power, cameras, recorders,you name it. I was afraid I might regret getting rid of the 08, but after two months...I am not looking back.
Do you notice the weight difference at all, I know there is a huge power difference, but there is still a big weight difference.

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
If it were me,

I'd keep the truck, for truck stuff (assuming it runs good and is paid for).

Keep the V wagon as a DD toy.

Trade the C6 Z06 on a new C7 Z06 and don't look back...it's a car, not a baby boy. You'll make new memories...I guarantee it.
Thanks! yeah, I’ve had the truck 11 years now, it is fully paid and has lost most of the value I’d expect it to loose, not to mention has 175K on the clock.

My wife, son and I were in Yellowstone last summer and saw two Z06s in the park, I looked at here and said “I want to do that.” I’d love to take a new vette on some road trips.

If I keep the wagon, I’d probably keep it until the warranty is up. As I mentioned I like the car, but I’ve never loved it like the vette or truck. First off the black paint pisses me off, as someone who likes to detail, it is a never ending battle. When I purchased the car (it was used), it was aesthetically more beat up than I would have liked. I have spent hours polishing and detailing, not to mention I had the wheels repainted (were black stock, but someone did a crappy repair job on them), I’d still like to replace the brake rotors and a few other things.

here is from a few of the roadtrips

Last edited by stone150; 03-30-2016 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (03-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Should I make the trade?