C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How does the manual Z06 drive in traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM
AlexRD
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How does the manual Z06 drive in traffic?

So I am almost 100% certainly getting a 2016 Z06. I am struggling with the decision between the Z06 in manual versus automatic. I will be able to test drive an automatic tomorrow, but I am curious how the clutch feels in manual. This means shifting and how it takes up the gear as being released and is it comfortable to drive in manual?

For reference, I've driven a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe in Manual, a 5.0 Mustang GT in Manual, and a Mini Clubman in Manual. I really disliked the CTS-V Coupe's clutch and was hoping that it wasn't the same as the Z06's - the Mini and the Mustang are great.

Also, for the small group that overlaps in this - how different is the manual clutch between the Z06 and Z51?
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

The clutch is very easy for a 650hp car, and the car is simple to drive in traffic.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

It has, what I discovered later to be, typical first gear problems with Tremec. Oftentimes it won't take first gear easily. At the beginning I would think it's in gear, leave it, only to have it spit out by the transmission. Now I know that you have to baby the first gear and try repeatedly until it goes in. Gets better as the transmission gets hot, but it's never perfect. 7th gear feels like the reverse in other cars, it's that bad, hard to push it in there, cluncky, notchy, and nearly impossible to downshift in 6th because of it.

Everything else is really really good. Smooth short gears. Rev-match is a god-send at the track and everywhere else really. You can bypass 1-4 skip shift like previous generations. Gearing is spaced great for track use 2 to 6, but shorter probably wouldn't hurt. First gear is perfect for 0-60 launch, long to make use of the torque.

To me manuals were never a pain to drive in traffic, except the one time I had a drag clutch.

I absolutely hate automatics and would never buy one. I think it ruins all cars, sports or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBC_and_a_stick:
Fastmikefree (03-29-2016), MRHTRD (03-31-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM
AlexRD
Advanced

I think I am going to lean to manual - I just want to make sure I am not doing something stupid here. The main concern I have is how the clutch feels and how close it feels to the Z51 which I believe I can get a test drive of tomorrow in manual (the dealer I want to buy from only has the Z06 in automatic).

The main concern I have is with stop-and-go traffic when I inevitably get stuck in it (as I plan on driving it pretty frequently, though not a year-long daily driver). How high is the idle creep in 1st without stalling? That's a big question as well.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

The clutch is super light so you'll never get tired. It just has enough weight to feel the engagement point. I drove it for 12 hours straight once with no ache.

To me the Stingray clutch felt the same. If there is a difference it's very small and I could not detect it.

EDIT: If it's any use I found it to be easier to engage than the S2000. The clutch is lighter than the Honda and the car has more torque. It is true that the engagement point is a bit more progressive on the Honda but it's not a big deal. Overall, you can get lazy and the car will still shift smoothly whereas the S2000 required 100% finesse to not jolt the car.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 03-28-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:08 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

As others have mentioned, the manual is rather effortless to drive. I do agree with SBC's comments that 1st is a bit....notchy. I have had it pop out on me once or twice because I did not get it in the gate all the way I guess. I don't think 7th feels like reverse although there is a gate you have to push through to get to it, so I suppose in that sense it is a bit like going into R. I have found that going from 7th to 6th to be a bit cumbersome, only because my brain is trained to let the shifter sort of fall into it's natural position which means you down shift into 4th. Just standard habit that requires more effort but really isn't a problem as I don't foresee any example where I would do a "money shift" from 7th to 4th, generally you are only in 7th to cruise so it just doesn't matter. The clutch is pretty easy and I don't think most would grow tired from using it, even in the worst traffic of LA or Atlanta. Throw things like hill-start assist on top of everything else and I really enjoy driving this car over my T56 or TKO600 cars. The rev-match down shifts are money!

Last edited by fleming23; 03-28-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM
AlexRD
Advanced

You guys are awesome! My concerns are managed. Tomorrow I test drive the automatic to make sure I still like the viewing angles and how I fit in it, but I think I might just have to stick with the manual given that it has hill-start assist, rev matching, and a light clutch. My Mustang which I've daily driven since 2011 doesn't have any of that (aside from a sticky first gear at times as well, so I am not going to be surprised by that). I just need to test the Z51 with sneakers on to see how my feet fit in space while shifting and then I'm golden.

I really appreciate the knowledge you all have given me!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I drove this thing with cowboy boots and while downshifting the rev-match made it sound like I was driving a DCT. It's that easy.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

With respect to the comment about it jumping out of 1st, it's an easy and quick adjustment by the dealer. A known problem, at least on the 2015MY.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
It has, what I discovered later to be, typical first gear problems with Tremec. Oftentimes it won't take first gear easily. At the beginning I would think it's in gear, leave it, only to have it spit out by the transmission. Now I know that you have to baby the first gear and try repeatedly until it goes in. Gets better as the transmission gets hot, but it's never perfect. 7th gear feels like the reverse in other cars, it's that bad, hard to push it in there, cluncky, notchy, and nearly impossible to downshift in 6th because of it.

Everything else is really really good. Smooth short gears. Rev-match is a god-send at the track and everywhere else really. You can bypass 1-4 skip shift like previous generations. Gearing is spaced great for track use 2 to 6, but shorter probably wouldn't hurt. First gear is perfect for 0-60 launch, long to make use of the torque.

To me manuals were never a pain to drive in traffic, except the one time I had a drag clutch.

I absolutely hate automatics and would never buy one. I think it ruins all cars, sports or not.
Something wrong with yours possibly as mine is smooth as silk in all gears.
But I'm running an MDW and have it well broken in with over 16,000
miles. Sails right into 7th or anywhere else.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:52 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Driving a manual in traffic sucks no matter what the scenario.

I drive in Atlanta traffic daily... I know.

The clutch is very light and once warm the gears are very easy. It has tall gearing so you can stay in 1st or 2nd all day.

Would I like an auto... Sure but not on the weekend or at the track. I row my own gears....
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 PM
commander112
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

z51 feels the same as z06 except the numbers climb way faster in z06. I had a '14 z51 before getting the z06 and the manual felt the same.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You can get the car moving without hitting the throttle until the clutch is almost all the way out. The problem with a manual in stop and go traffic is the constant worry about burning up the clutch due to slipping it while moving so slow the car won't idle low enough. With the clutch out the car will idle along at 6 or 7 mph on level ground, however, most of us probably remember many traffic jams where cars move along at 2 to 3 mph. If you are driving up hill it is worse since you have to spin up the engine and slip the clutch.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
AlexRD (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:31 AM
AlexRD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You can get the car moving without hitting the throttle until the clutch is almost all the way out. The problem with a manual in stop and go traffic is the constant worry about burning up the clutch due to slipping it while moving so slow the car won't idle low enough. With the clutch out the car will idle along at 6 or 7 mph on level ground, however, most of us probably remember many traffic jams where cars move along at 2 to 3 mph. If you are driving up hill it is worse since you have to spin up the engine and slip the clutch.

Bill
This is helpful for me - That's the main concern I have with the Z06 in manual. I drive my Mustang a lot and I get caught in those traffic situations where you're cruising along at a slow walk's pace and I'm concerned about the clutch specifically for that reason. What's the solution? I just kind of presumed I'd have to replace the clutch for a thousand at some random point in the future (not quite sure when, haven't had an issue yet) in my Mustang but it would be a bit more in a 'vette.

Last edited by AlexRD; 03-29-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:32 AM
AlexRD
Advanced

Originally Posted by mowe
Driving a manual in traffic sucks no matter what the scenario.

I drive in Atlanta traffic daily... I know.

The clutch is very light and once warm the gears are very easy. It has tall gearing so you can stay in 1st or 2nd all day.

Would I like an auto... Sure but not on the weekend or at the track. I row my own gears....
How do you feel about the clutch slipping in sub-idle speed traffic? That's my second concern. I don't want to wear my clutch out because I decided to drive it in the city or got stuck in a traffic jam.
The following users liked this post:
#1c6 (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

He tells his thoughts. scroll forward to the 25 second mark if your in a hurry.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pressions.html
Old 03-29-2016, 01:50 AM
vampire81
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

i was surprised how light is the clutch in the new Z06, and with lots of torque, it's fairly an easy MT car to drive in traffic

Get notified of new replies

To How does the manual Z06 drive in traffic?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:41 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by AlexRD
This is helpful for me - That's the main concern I have with the Z06 in manual. I drive my Mustang a lot and I get caught in those traffic situations where you're cruising along at a slow walk's pace and I'm concerned about the clutch specifically for that reason. What's the solution? I just kind of presumed I'd have to replace the clutch for a thousand at some random point in the future (not quite sure when, haven't had an issue yet) in my Mustang but it would be a bit more in a 'vette.
It may be a thousand or so in a Mustang, but I seriously doubt it's a thousand in the C7. Assuming someone else does the work, it'll be more like $2K. While you shouldn't expect to need a new clutch soon, even in stop-and-go traffic, especially since you have done it all the time in different cars, it is dependent on how you drive. Wherever you live, there must be indie Corvette shops; call and ask one how much a stock clutch replacement (stock parts) would be for your Z. A dealer will, of course, be more since they usually use higher labor rates.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM
Mikeyfitz
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The rev matching alone makes me want to pick one up in manual after I finish building the ZR1 lol.

Drove my buddies C7Z around for a bit and the manual is very very smooth
Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexRD
How do you feel about the clutch slipping in sub-idle speed traffic? That's my second concern. I don't want to wear my clutch out because I decided to drive it in the city or got stuck in a traffic jam.
I don't slip it much. It really gets going on its own.

Quick Reply: How does the manual Z06 drive in traffic?