C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer service drove over 150 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 AM
L8T8
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
GM has talked about making Corvette its own brand before, but the Board rejected it.
Life will push them to reconsider imo. But, even if that does not happen, separate "processing" and upgraded services would make a heck of a difference.

Last edited by L8T8; 05-05-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm not sure that you have any recourse. Would I be upset if it was my car? Absolutely. I'm not that tech savvy, but I do think I'd try to find out where the car was driven . . . if that's feasible. I do know one thing. If someone couldn't rationally explain why my car was driven that far, I'd never go back to that dealership again.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
I agree. This isn't a limited production lambo or Ferrari or something. Yes it's a bit of BS but nothing to go nuclear over.
For some of us this is our Aventador SV and 458 Speciale. We all value all of our cars differently. I guess for you it has to be those cars for you to go nuclear about.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DJackman
For some of us this is our Aventador SV and 458 Speciale.
This.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM
sharkgrey
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do any of you leave the car in valet mode when dropping it off at the dealer? Is it possible?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

For some of us this is our Aventador SV and 458 Speciale. We all value all of our cars differently. I guess for you it has to be those cars for you to go nuclear about.
When I said rare lambo or Ferrari I'm talking about the 3-10mm versions where 2-3 are made. Just speaking to the value of those 150 miles - max a few hundred bucks. It's total BS but not worth allowing it to dominate my life and thoughts.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:07 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkgrey
Do any of you leave the car in valet mode when dropping it off at the dealer? Is it possible?
Every time! And I let the guy who runs the service ramp know that it is on when I hand the car over. The recorder starts up each and every time they start the car. I played it back for the General Manager at the local chevy dealer that I no longer use. Some airhead was out doing burnouts with a new, zero mile, set of PSC2's. He thought it was funny right up to the moment they fired him.

Last edited by BWFitz; 05-06-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:07 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it doesn't affect your ownership experience any more than it already has. I can't offer you any guidance because I really don't know what I would do. I know it wouldn't end well. I have been a car guy since the early 60s and then at least back then they would disconnect the speedo so what you didn't know wouldn't hurt you.
The few times I had to leave a Corvette at a dealer (waiting for parts) I would be a wreck until I got it back. When I moved back to RI 15 years ago I was referred to Paul Masse Chevrolet in East Providence R. I. and had my service done there. After a couple of visits I was so comfortable with the service and attitude about my Corvettes & other cars that I have no worries leaving my cars there overnight etc. The first time I left my car there my wife kept asking me why I was so relaxed while my Vette was in the shop. We all complain about bad dealer service, as we should when we experience it, but sometimes when a dealer constantly goes the extra mile we don't really spread the word. Human nature I guess. The only way I can contribute to this thread is spread the word about one outstanding dealer and hope it helps another forum member.
Good luck on getting some satisfaction about the miles on your Z. Mike
The following users liked this post:
DavidJ1_99 (06-08-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 PM
hucktyson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the oil isn't really a big deal. Even though they are covered for 2 years I'm pretty confident that my 30 years of working on and building race cars has my mechanic skills far beyond some snerd at a car dealer . I've met the " mechanics " at car dealers and none of them would be turning the wrenches on the race cars I trust with my life ...
Old 05-16-2016, 12:13 AM
JMLS
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Its been said a bunch already I'm sure, but I would definitely fight for some compensation on tires+clutch.

A few years ago, both my father and I had our C6Zs at GM in Bakersfield CA for a overall check they needed to do to sign off on for an extended GMPP warranty we were getting on both our cars. As soon as the two morons took off in the cars for a test drive in both cars at the same time, we knew it would be bad. They were gone maybe 20 minutes. We walked over to the garage and (I kid you not!) I could smell clutch from 40 yards away. Checked the oil temps, 210, and they were on the freeway on a cool day with no traffic. Odds they were racing like -10000

Supposedly both those guys were fired, but who knows. The world is full of disrespectful idiots and that is why I can count, on one hand, the number of people I would let drive my car.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by hucktyson
I've met the " mechanics " at car dealers and none of them would be turning the wrenches on the race cars I trust with my life ...
I completely understand...I don't know the last time a met "car mechanic" who impressed me.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:25 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

This news actually made headline on an apps called Carbuzz a few days ago. Some people are asking which dealership.

Last edited by DJackman; 05-16-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Front page coverage

What a joke. Thought the front page would benefit from your cautionary tale though...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...mile-joy-ride/
Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

About two years ago i shipped my c6z06 from germany to cali (military orders, military contractor). The car was a month delayed (took an act of congressman to track the car). When the car came, it was filthy (i had mint jsb, with about 600hp) and had extra 300 miles on it. Tires were shot (u could see tire shreds in wheel wells), clutch was almost gone, brakes were burnt, no oil in the engine (dip stick was below low), and the bumper looked like something was hit. Needless to say, after some fighting with them, they payed up an amount i could live with ($10k+).

Last edited by kotik; 05-26-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:35 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

This news actually made headline on an apps called Carbuzz a few days ago. Some people are asking which dealership.
When bad dealers are discovered they should be outed by members.
Nothing would serve fellow Corvette enthusiasts more.

Originally Posted by kotik
About two years ago i shipped my c6z06 from germany to cali (military orders, military contractor). The car was a month delayed (took an act of congressman to track the car). When the car came, it was filthy (i had mint jsb, with about 600hp) and had extra 300 miles on it. Tires were shot (u could see tire shreds in wheel wells), clutch was almost gone, brakes were burnt, no oil in the engine (dip stick was below low), and the bumper looked like something was hit. Needless to say, after some fighting with them, they payed up an amount i could live with ($10k+).
If it happened to me, someone would have to hide my shotgun.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:51 PM
ea327
Drifting

Received 703 Likes on 402 Posts

Is it just me, or does anyone think that RC000E is all talk?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

I had a 1989 Infiniti Q45 that I had serviced in Las Vegas. I got a call from the police department that someone complained that my vehicle was in an uncontrolled spin down Decatur Blvd in traffic and were concerned about intoxicated driving.

I told them that my car was in for service and that they should call the Infiniti dealer.

To my surprise upon arriving that day to the dealership my car was not wrecked.

They gave me nothing for the incident and my vehicle had the magical Ferris Bueller valet miles on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer service drove over 150 miles

Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I know I don't have a Z, but I make my appointment and I sit there and wait for my car at the dealership, I make a day out of it. I don't have many nice things left, my C6 is all I got so I take care of like it were a C7Z.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr.Nubain:
NSC5 (05-26-2016), sunsalem (05-26-2016), ZenicaPA (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
I know I don't have a Z, but I make my appointment and I sit there and wait for my car at the dealership, I make a day out of it. I don't have many nice things left, my C6 is all I got so I take care of like it were a C7Z.
You are treating your car like you should which means your C6 is going to be in nicer shape than many C7Zs in a few years. Pride of ownership isn't and shouldn't be reserved just for the newest and latest anything.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:55 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I'm surprised there is so little talk of Valet Mode.

I record every moment of travel with my PDR, and any shop that has my car gets it in Valet Mode.

I think it's silly that it doesn't record the audio, but it captures everything on video and locks the screen and glovebox.

It does not however, change anything related to power or performance- which was alluded to in an earlier thread. It also does not tell the driver that they are being recorded, which some people might view as a pro and some as a con.

Quick Reply: Dealer service drove over 150 miles