C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 PM
nrotik
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why??

So.. Been married to my wife for 6 years and prior to her I have had corvettes.. My wife was raised to respect everyone as her father was a civil rights attorney for the city of Detroit.. I have owned corvettes before her and since.. But since.. She never understood why I would never take the corvette out to dinner.. Bar.. Leave it in a parking lot, etc.. Unless I could see it..

Well prior to my wife I tried taking it places and have had it spit on.. Soda poured on it.. Cars parked so close I can't get in..

So tonight.. My wife wanted me to take the z to an upscale restaurant ..where I did not see anyone under 21 there.. Parked the car up front.. In a parking space next to a Ford Edge and a Honda Accord..

I just had an intuition when we left.. And told her as we were walking up to my car.. What did someone do??

Well ... No bull...t!! There was the restaurants complimentary candy mints.. All chewed up.. Spit all over my hood and windshield..

The wife asked me .. Why.. I can't answer why..

Today my wife learned that a..holes exist and will do things for no reason..
The following 2 users liked this post by nrotik:
everjeff (04-30-2016), Fastmikefree (05-01-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Note to self - never go to Michigan.

I'm in Georgia and have had a lot of modded sports cars and have never had anyone do any of those things. The only thing I got were compliments here and there.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

I could only imagine that income disparity would be the reason. But even then it's a 'thin' reason as anyone from any walk of life can appreciate something special.

I saw a Pagani Huayra in the flesh 3 weeks ago. I was floored by its beauty and intricate engineering. It's a masterpiece. Never would I think about touching it let alone deface it.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 PM
Saintd
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in Michigan and on several occasions I've parked my vehicles in the far corner of the parking lot and come out to some ***** parked right next to me, usually far too close. I've even had them open their door into my car and leave severe creases and have the ***** to not move thier vehicle. Yes I've absolutely retaliated, I've seen people flick cigarettes into open car windows while walking and punched them in the side of the head.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (05-01-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 11:12 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
Note to self - never go to Michigan.

I'm in Georgia and have had a lot of modded sports cars and have never had anyone do any of those things. The only thing I got were compliments here and there.
Yeah really!

This is an unfortunate situation not to be expected in general, especially at an upscale restaurant, but I guess anyone can be a victim of disrespect, and I certainly understand your reluctance to take your car out...

Not that it would matter, but it would be interesting to see if the restaurant had any surveillance footage... Not much you could do, but if it was an employee you'd have some leverage... maybe have them pay to get your car detailed, or some other form of compensation.

It would definitely put a damper on what otherwise would have been an enjoyable evening.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 PM
CharlieK1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have had random acts of jealousy... spit, parked so close I could not get in..... i hope I don't catch anyone ... because I will lose my gun license!!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

That's a great life lesson for your wife. Simple reality unfortunately. There's no way to stop it but at least you can minimize your risk as you have done in the past. I do the same thing. Be thankful no damage was done.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

To the OP, that's awful. Really.

Locally in Chicago, I've experienced the occasional car parking too close and once had an orange juice dumped on my '08, but chalked it up to jealousy at a primal level.

Gratefully, in the Chicago area Porsches and Teslas are probably more prominent and it's not unusual to see a Maserstti, Ferrari, Viper or occasional Lambo...as a result a C7 doesn't get unnecessary attention.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-29-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by nrotik
upscale restaurant
Ford Edge
Honda Accord
Complimentary mints
Gonna point out the obvious what's wrong here.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluestreak63:
Blvdbrawler (05-01-2016), BOBSZ857 (05-01-2016), Movie Muscle (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:13 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Yep, I understand

Sorry that you were a victim of envy. It's ugly when that happens and I don't think it's going to get better any time soon.

I too won't park the Z unless it's with a well comped lot attendant or it's pretty much close to my table if it's during a meal out. I usually have to take the other car, the low-key daily driver, out for dinner or social events.

There are some upscale communities where a Z isn't envied or resented but those communities are the exception, not the rule.
WzUpDoc (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 AM
commander112
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Where the hell do you live and visit? I live in suburban Detroit and hang in Royal Oak, Ferndale, Downtown and Midtown Detroit typically 5 evenings a week and have NEVER had anyone **** with my car. My car has sat in parking lots at the JLA for Wings games and has been left on the streets in front of bars in Corktown, Cafe De Mongos and Northern Lights (not great, secure places) and never a worry. I can leave it with the top down in RO or Ferndale too. My previous Vette and three CTS-V's before never had an issue either. Is it karma getting you for something in your past?
Bischof (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 02:51 AM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I feel sorry for those that can't drive there car anywhere and not have to worry about somebody purposely damaging it. I haven't really heard of incidents like that in Colorado. Of course here you can smoke pot and "open carry"....not at the same time though.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Bischof
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by commander112
Where the hell do you live and visit? I live in suburban Detroit and hang in Royal Oak, Ferndale, Downtown and Midtown Detroit typically 5 evenings a week and have NEVER had anyone **** with my car. My car has sat in parking lots at the JLA for Wings games and has been left on the streets in front of bars in Corktown, Cafe De Mongos and Northern Lights (not great, secure places) and never a worry. I can leave it with the top down in RO or Ferndale too. My previous Vette and three CTS-V's before never had an issue either. Is it karma getting you for something in your past?
Ha! You beat me to it.
I live in the the Detroit metro area as well and no one's ever messed with my car.

I typically park further out in the lot when I go to stores and more times than not I'll come back to find someones parked next to me, but never so close to be obnoxious. I chalk it up to someone taking the chance to look over the car before going into the store.

Maybe the OP needs to stop parking diagonally across three spaces?

Last edited by Bischof; 04-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 AM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in Michigan about 10 years ago someone spit chewig tobacco all over my BMW X3. Really a shame.

But Miami isn't much better, 2 years ago someone sprayed mustard all over mine and my buddy's BMW M3. Had to get the hood wet sanded because the acid ate through the clear coat. Cost me $1500.

The vette has been lucky (knock on wood). I've only see a few hand prints. People probably taking photos.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:25 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

SE PA here. So far, almost a year and a half of ownership and drive to places all the time. Mostly get people just loving the car. Went to Philly for the Donor Dash a couple of weeks ago... nope... didn't take the car LOL
Old 04-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

One word: Detroit. There's a reason you can buy a house there for $2.00

Last edited by Paulchristian; 04-30-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 AM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had 7 corvettes (6 z06s) an M3 and I have an M4 now. Ive never had anything done to any of my cars. I park them where ever and never give it a second thought. Could some of this stuff because you guys park way far away from other cars in the parking lot? Maybe that brings attention to it. I know when I see a car parked all by itself far away from other cars, I shake my head. I would never do anything to anyone's car though.

Last edited by UmCanesZ06; 04-30-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why??

Old 04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I always park in right field or next to a handicap spot
Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 AM
ckzo6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegeneral101
When I was in Michigan about 10 years ago someone spit chewig tobacco all over my BMW X3. Really a shame.

But Miami isn't much better, 2 years ago someone sprayed mustard all over mine and my buddy's BMW M3. Had to get the hood wet sanded because the acid ate through the clear coat. Cost me $1500.

The vette has been lucky (knock on wood). I've only see a few hand prints. People probably taking photos.

Sorry op this is one of my fears of buying a Z. I'm originally from the Detroit area where did this happen?

Remember this is Detroit it used to be when I was a kid you would get a lot of flack for not driving American. back in the 80's and 90's I remember dealerships and owners of Japanese car getting their tires slashed. Not saying that is ok behavior but a large portion of the population has something to do with auto manufacturing.

Chris
Old 04-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Listen up.........

Azzholes are everywhere......and they can travel too.............

Thank goodness you weren't keyed............
The following 2 users liked this post by Hemi Dave:
Fastmikefree (05-01-2016), VictorBarron (04-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Why??