C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

PowerStop Z26 vs Carbotech 1521 Brake Dust

Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
It is always a bit intimidating on a new car, but they really made these easy. Calipers stay right on the car. Just be sure to have a small enough punch to pop the pins out. And watch how you remove the clip so install it back the same way. You likely won't have to depress the pistons. I didn't.
You are absolutely right, never has it been so simple to change pads. I did however have to squeeze on the outer pads to push the pistons back in, not much but made it easier to get the old ones out and the news one just slipped in.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 740 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51 John
Wow ]that's a great price.

Still looking for performance feedback.
Haven't seen if these perform the same or better than stock.
me too.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Most reviews I've seen around the web show consistent ratings of between 4 and 5 stars out of 5 stars. The following is some information I found about Power Stop brake pads and products (The graphs referenced in the information were not on the website where I found this information.)

Power Stop — Innovation & Research
Power Stop

Power Stop Extreme Performance Brake Rotors & Pads were first introduced in California in 1997. Over the years, Power Stop has earned a reputation for high quality by assuring tight tolerances and the best materials. Their mission is to provide the best solution for your vehicle's braking problem. Power Stop uses extensive testing to develop the best rotor and pad combination for your vehicle and driving style.

Today, Power Stop is more committed to new product development and innovation than ever before. Their demanding criteria mandates high pad bite without high temperature fade or pedal pressure deterioration. They use independent dynamometer testing to validate brake performance including pre-burnish (green) friction, high temperature brake fade, pedal pressure sensitivity, speed sensitivity and noise.

A limited range of brake rotor applications are manufactured in Power Stop's US-based facility with a larger percentage manufactured to Power Stop's specifications, blueprints and processes developed over years of experience by their manufacturing partners overseas. Each rotor is carefully analyzed for the best drill or slot pattern and modeled with CAD software.

Power Stop stands behind their brake rotors with a unique 3-year / 36,000 miles warranty against cracking (when combined with Power Stop Brake Pads purchased and installed together).

The Science Behind the Power Stop Solution:

• High carbon rotors improve temperature stability and heat transfer – Power Stop uses the finest blanks featuring G3000-grade castings from the best foundries in the world. Most foundries lower carbon to increase tensile strength and hardness. Power Stop rotors have a carbon content that is 3% more than competitive brands while maintaining 210 Brinell hardness and 250 MPa tensile strength. The microstructure is an ideal homogenous matrix of perlitic and graphite flakes.

• Castings are made from primary scrap and charcoal pig-iron without residual contamination from secondary scrap metals – Some foundries dump scrap in the material with residual elements such as Niobium, Vanadium, Molybdenum, Titanium and Tungsten. These residual materials cause the formation of uncontrolled carbides in the microstructure that weaken the casting.

• Precise machining – Power Stop rotors are carefully machined to prevent stress risers, and they are guaranteed not to crack for 3 years / 36,000 miles when combined with Power Stop brake pads purchased and installed together. (See Power Stop's Warranty for more details.) All products conform to OE dimensions for a perfect fit every time.

• Fade resistant friction – Power Stop Brake Pads are specifically engineered to hold a high coefficient of friction above 1000°. Where other pads show brake fade, Power Stop consistently delivers superior brake power verified via independent test results comparing brake performance with other leading brands. Power Stop Brake Pads deliver up to 35% more pad bite and longer pad life.

• Posi-mold brake pads – Power Stop brake pads use positive mold technology. Posi-mold pads enable consistent density as the material is hot pressed at over 6,000 psi. The result is consistent performance and low noise. All pads are asbestos-free.

• Zinc-dichromate plating – Power Stop's plating resists rust and keeps the rotors looking new. Some competitors use cadmium plating which is highly toxic and a potential cancer risk. Cadmium is banned in Europe and with all major vehicle manufacturers.

Power Stop Brake Pads Technical Data
Power Stop Premium Brakes

Brake performance can vary greatly with different brands. Some aftermarket pads lose over 50% of the pad bite at high temperature or at high speeds. Over the past 15 years, Power Stop has developed the best performing brake pads in the business.

Power Stop pads are used by premier installer shops throughout North America. They have earned a reputation for OE-quality friction and great stopping power, low dust, and noise-free.

Power Stop validates friction performance using stringent SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) tests run by independent test labs. The following data shows braking power, noise and wear results for Power Stop Evolution Ceramic compared with some popular aftermarket brands.

Noise Test Results using SAE J2521

Brake noise is caused by pad vibration. Power Stop pads feature dual layer rubber shims to dampen vibration and eliminate noise.

Brake squeal can also occur if the backing plate is loose on the caliper guides. Power Stop uses precision stamped backing plates to assure good fitment to the caliper.

This graph shows the number of noisy stops for various aftermarket brands on a Chevy Tahoe. Compared to other brake pads, Power Stop pads are exceptionally quiet. Some “premium” aftermarket pads produce annoying brake squeal one out of every four stops.

The bottom line: Power Stop pads have OE-level noise performance.

Stopping Power

Brake performance is measured by mu, the coefficient of friction. Brake pads typically lose pad bite at high brake temperature or at high speed. This loss of stopping power is called brake fade.

The next graph shows the minimum mu (pad bite) for some popular aftermarket brands. The higher the mu the more pad bite.

The graph shows that Power Stop Evolution Ceramic Pads have significantly better pad bite and shorter stopping distance.

The OE friction coefficient is normally above 0.30 even at 1500°. Power Stop’s minimum mu is 0.34. Some aftermarket brands lose more than 50% of the pad bite with mu around 0.15.

The bottom line: Power Stop has close to OE-level performance for safer, faster stops.

Pad Wear

The following chart shows pad wear during the ISO NWI 26867 test on a Chevy Tahoe.

One brand lost 42% of the pad thickness. Most pads average about 10%–13% wear during the test.

The bottom line: Power Stop pads have better than average wear characteristics.

Power Stop® Extreme Performance Brake Systems and the Bob Bondurant® School of High Performance Driving are proud to announce a breakthrough partnership to keep our roads safer and our drivers more secure.

Bondurant, considered the premier high performance driving school in the US, and Power Stop, the leader in brake kits in the US, have aligned their products and services to raise awareness of the Power Stop “1-Click Brake Kit®” system, which is set to innovate the way our cars keep us safe.

“We are honored and humbled to enter into a collaborative partnership with the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving,” states Arvin Scott, Chief Executive Officer at Power Stop.

“This partnership marks a significant milestone in Power Stop’s growth and development as the leading performance brake program in North America. Power Stop is in the early stages of developing a race track/street performance brake package, and the testing, analysis, and feedback from the drivers and staff at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving will greatly assist our engineering team in developing the safest and most reliable high performance braking for auto enthusiasts all over the world.”

Power Stop, the #1 e-commerce brake kit supplier in the United States, has signed a five (5) year agreement with Bondurant to provide rotors, brake pads, and calipers to the school in a strategic partnership. The partnership will allow the Bondurant team to test those brake assets on their 1.6 mile track, while providing constant feedback and results to Power Stop for continuous improvement of the brake system.

“The thrill of partnering with a premier brake performance brand at the school is amazing” states Bob Bondurant, Chief Executive Officer of the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.

“We offer the highest quality, most advanced training techniques in the world. On the street or on the racetrack, the capabilities of most cars are way above the capabilities of most drivers. The Bondurant school tries to even that out, and with the Power Stop partnership we will be able to improve the safety for drivers everywhere. At the school we are always looking at ways to improve the curriculum and safety of our students and this is another way of accomplishing that.”

Darren Law, Chief Operating Officer at Bondurant, is excited at the prospect of partnering with such an established name in the brake industry.

“Bondurant is very selective in its partnership agreements and after working with Power Stop, understanding their capabilities from an engineering standpoint, and knowing the positive reputation they hold within the industry, we feel this is the perfect partnership. We look forward to helping them advance and grow their product line as well as having them help us improve the performance and safety features of our cars,” he said.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51 John
Wow that's a great price.

Still looking for performance feedback.
Haven't seen if these perform the same or better than stock.
Me too I've been watching this thread for some time because of the price difference of powerstop and oem (don't care that much about dust) but still waiting for performance feedback as I track the car 5 or 6 days a year.

Oem brembo worked great for me so far and they are due for change now. Maybe the easier way to go is brembo again until someone tests these powerstop at track. Wouldn't risk testing them myself or swapping in and out oem pads before track day as some have suggested
Old 01-08-2017, 02:45 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by vette.uae
Me too I've been watching this thread for some time because of the price difference of powerstop and oem (don't care that much about dust) but still waiting for performance feedback as I track the car 5 or 6 days a year.

Oem brembo worked great for me so far and they are due for change now. Maybe the easier way to go is brembo again until someone tests these powerstop at track. Wouldn't risk testing them myself or swapping in and out oem pads before track day as some have suggested
If you make a change, be sure to use the track pads for track use. Bondurant thinks Power Stop products are worthy for their track cars...

Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

For track days, I'd definitely stick with the stock Brembo/Ferroda pads. They will stop better, not fade etc then the PowerStop pads.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
If you make a change, be sure to use the track pads for track use. Bondurant thinks Power Stop products are worthy for their track cars...

https://youtu.be/8cByi5vkpow
Interesting to know! Thanks for sharing the info
Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
For track days, I'd definitely stick with the stock Brembo/Ferroda pads. They will stop better, not fade etc then the PowerStop pads.
Yes I'm leaning towards that too. Wish there is a cheaper solution
Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran

https://youtu.be/8cByi5vkpow
You do realize this is marketing? I'm not saying they wont work for an occasional HPDE but I would not use them for dedicated track days. Powerstop pays Bondurant to use there product that means they give them FREE pads and rotors and Bondurant plaster there name on the cars and does promo adds. Hawk use to do the same before Hawk was sold. Same thing with tires you cant tell me that the Goodyear tire is better than a Michelin. Bondurant will why? because they get them for free as a sponsor that's how marketing works. Believe what you want.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Take a look at the Carbotech XP8 compound.
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Front: XP8 $306.85 Rear: XP8 $186.20
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Look for "new car take offs" for sale here on the forum. I've seen a few sets pretty cheap.

I took my pads off at 300 miles and I'm sure many others have too due to the dust.

Just start buying up take off/lightly used sets and keep them in stock.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyz28 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:15 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Take a look at the Carbotech XP8 compound.
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Front: XP8 $306.85 Rear: XP8 $186.20
I did and got interested until the part where it says 'not recommended for daily drive' which set me off since I only need the track features for few days out of 365 days of using it, hence was looking for other options and back again to oem
Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM
vette.uae
Instructor

Look for "new car take offs" for sale here on the forum. I've seen a few sets pretty cheap.

I took my pads off at 300 miles and I'm sure many others have too due to the dust.

Just start buying up take off/lightly used sets and keep them in stock.
Great idea thought about it and was going to buy a barely used set from another member but the shipping cost to UAE just takes away the whole savings! Unless the pads/shipping are really good priced

Btw if you're selling yours and can arrange shipping to uae for me please pm back (Fedex, usps, and many other couriers ship internationally)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Great idea thought about it and was going to buy a barely used set from another member but the shipping cost to UAE just takes away the whole savings! Unless the pads/shipping are really good priced

Btw if you're selling yours and can arrange shipping to uae for me please pm back (Fedex, usps, and many other couriers ship internationally)

Sorry man, I'm hanging on to mine just incase I decide to do a track day, I can throw them on for the event. I just couldnt stand the massive dust they make when street driving.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I did and got interested until the part where it says 'not recommended for daily drive' which set me off since I only need the track features for few days out of 365 days of using it, hence was looking for other options and back again to oem
I understand the XP8 is less dust than stock but may make some noise that why they are not recommended for daily and I believe your best bet would be to stick with the OE pads.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 01-09-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 AM
vette.uae
Instructor

Sorry man, I'm hanging on to mine just incase I decide to do a track day, I can throw them on for the event. I just couldnt stand the massive dust they make when street driving.
No worries you're right better keep them for track days. Good luck :thumb:
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 AM
vette.uae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I understand the XP8 is less dust than stock but may make some noise that why they are not recommended for daily and I believe your best bet would be to stick with the OE pads.
Yes I guess so. Thanks Adam

Get notified of new replies

To PowerStop Z26 vs Carbotech 1521 Brake Dust

Old 01-11-2017, 06:56 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

its very simple,powerstops a must for street,great price and stopping and NO ugly crappy brake dust.if you want track days switch back to stock pads.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 PM
tiborrules
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
its very simple,powerstops a must for street,great price and stopping and NO ugly crappy brake dust.if you want track days switch back to stock pads.
For z06 iron rotor cars, has anyone had any fade or pedal drop issues with their stock pads while running hard on the track? And I emphasize running hard. Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 AM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Sometimes the old pad will leave some of the friction material behind on the rotor, especially if the original pads were burnished. Highly doubt you have this problem after 2900 miles. If the rotors look good, just replace the pads, pump the brakes and go.
This right here "pump the brakes "... I spaced and didn't pump the brakes. Put the car in reverse with my foot on the brake, car started moving backwards. Fortunately I turned the wheel to the left in a split second of unconscious thought and missed crashing my 17 GS into my 07 C6.

Last edited by berk4422; 01-19-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PowerStop Z26 vs Carbotech 1521 Brake Dust