C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil Consumption 1,600 miles/quart: Normal or a Problem? Chevy Response Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:51 PM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rd16rr
i guess i was a tad off in saying 1qt per 1000miles - it was confirmed yesterday, that i use about 2qts per 1000miles

33,000 miles and counting....and i don't care about the oil consumption

never did check the plugs, but dealer offers to do anything i want at this point...i just dont feel the need to have them digging into the engine...maybe the new Mid-engined convertible will be out soon, and i can think about a trade in
Not Normal. Should be no usage. Major engine problem.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

This is great information overall. I noticed the later part of the reply references the LS4. Does this info apply to the LT4 and other more recent engines, or just the LS4?

Originally Posted by Rd16rr
Chevy's response per 01-06-01-011T Information on engine oil consumption guidelines states in essence:
1 quart evey 2,000 miles is acceptable unless driven aggressively
1 quart every 500 miles is acceptable if driven aggressively which means over 3,000 rpm by chevy's guildelines.

So i was told since i have take the rpms over 3,000 that the 1 quart per 500 miles standard applies.

.....and here:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain that their vehicle has been using approximately 1 quart of oil every 500-1,000 miles. In most cases, the customer will advise that this did not start until the engine accumulated approximately 30,000 miles or more. In some cases, the customer may note that this is more apparent when driving at highway speed. In rare instances, a SES light and engine misfire may be encountered with a P0300 DTC.

Upon inspection, an oil fouled spark plug(s) may be noted. In most cases, static compression and cylinder leakage testing will appear normal. Excessive oil may or may not be found in the intake manifold.

In most cases, this is the result of stuck oil control rings. Generally, the stuck oil control rings are the result of excessive oil on the cylinder walls. The excessive oil can come from the PCV system and/or the AFM pressure relief valve in the oil pan.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If this concern is encountered, follow the steps below:

•Visually inspect the entire engine and the underside of the vehicle for any evidence of oil leaks and repair them as necessary.
•If the vehicle has an engine misfire due to a spark plug that is obviously oil fouled, skip to step 3 since this proves that it has an obvious oil consumption concern. If not, perform an oil consumption test as outlined in the latest version of oil consumption of 01-06-01-011 to verify the concern before proceeding to step 3. Allow the vehicle to sit on a level surface with the engine off This PI was superseded to repair described in this PI. Please discard PIP4814A. for at least 10 minutes to allow the entire engine to drain back to the oil pan before checking the engine oil level and adding oil.
Compare the oil consumption test results to one of the scenarios below to determine further direction:

If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles and no low oil light has been experienced, no repairs should be performed as this should be considered acceptable oil consumption as outlined in the latest version of 01-06-01-011.

If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles but the customer has experienced a low oil light, check for proper oil level sensor operation.

If oil consumption is More than 1 quart every 2,000 miles, proceed to step 3.

•Perform the PCV inspections outlined in the latest version of PIP4492.
•Check for any obvious valve seal concerns and repair as necessary.
•If the steps above are followed without isolating the cause of this concern, this is most likely the result of AFM pressure relief valve oil accumulating on the bottom of the cylinders when active fuel management is enabled. Over time, this may eventually lead to the stuck oil control rings, poor ring sealing, and increased oil consumption.
Procedures are being developed to repair this by cleaning the oil control rings and redirecting the AFM pressure relief valve oil away from the cylinder walls. The related parts and procedures should be available during the 2011 calendar year but an exact date is not available at this time. As soon as the repair becomes available, this PI will be updated with additional details, or a separate bulletin will be released. Also note that the AFM shield described in the latest version of 10-06-01-008 will not fit the LS4 engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption 1,600 miles/quart: Normal or a Problem? Chevy Response Inside