C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Aftermarket blind spots monitor?? GM should have included it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 02:12 PM
MK4sup_isF
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Aftermarket blind spots monitor?? GM should have included it!

After a couple of close calls in two months. I searched for solution for our blind spots when changing lanes. This maybe the cleanest solution, GPS activated optional too. What do you guys think?

The following 2 users liked this post by MK4sup_isF:
dar02081961 (06-26-2016), Gonzo (06-29-2016)

Popular Reply

06-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Can you see the side of your car in your side mirrors?
Can you see a car in your side mirrors that is also visible in your rearview mirror?

If the answer is yes to either question, you're doing it wrong.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:18 PM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

for that kind of money its a no brainer,

i think a 12k hyundai has them now,

also like to add power folding mirrors !!! and adaptive cruise control,
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (06-29-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Darn all these years with out them! How do I manage?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

You can either do that, or learn how to set up your mirrors.
juanvaldez (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Can you see a car in your side mirrors that is also visible in your rearview mirror?

The following 6 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
conlaurant (06-25-2016), juanvaldez (06-26-2016), NSC5 (06-25-2016), PLRX (06-27-2016), RoketRdr (06-25-2016), Ryan427 (06-27-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson

What he said. I can't for the life of me understand why people focus their side-view mirrors down the side of the car. You can already see that focus area in your rear-view mirror. Need to focus your side-view mirrors outward to the point where it slightly overlaps the focus of your rear-view mirror. i.e. when the vehicle coming from behind you leaves the rear-view mirror focus it is immediately picked up in the side-view mirror. Adjusting your mirrors this way removes any blind spot and gives you full rear and side view in your mirrors.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I just got back from a 1,600 mile trip to TN/NC and I spent a lot of time on the first part of the trip trying to find these blind spots since this complaint shows up so often on the Corvette forums. Normally with large city multi-lane bypass routes I stay in the "fast" lane most of the time but going around Indianapolis I spent a lot of time in the inner lanes watching vehicles and purposely varied speed so to change their relative spacing so I could try to make them disappear from view. With my mirrors adjusted as they should be there was no problem always seeing vehicles behind me and in the adjacent lanes.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NSC5
I just got back from a 1,600 mile trip to TN/NC and I spent a lot of time on the first part of the trip trying to find these blind spots since this complaint shows up so often on the Corvette forums. Normally with large city multi-lane bypass routes I stay in the "fast" lane most of the time but going around Indianapolis I spent a lot of time in the inner lanes watching vehicles and purposely varied speed so to change their relative spacing so I could try to make them disappear from view. With my mirrors adjusted as they should be there was no problem always seeing vehicles behind me and in the adjacent lanes.
with the hood closed there's a blind spot to the engine

with the top up there's a blind spot to high noon

people call a blind spot anywhere they can't see just by turning their head but they sure love their cars "exterior styling."
Old 06-25-2016, 04:55 PM
MK4sup_isF
Racer

Good for you don't think there are blind spots. I for once would rather have extra safety than none. My other cars don't have this and I have been fine for all of these years. That doesn't mean I didn't get a close call once in a while. This is for those split second changing to left left lane in particular. Where I don't have time to check all of my mirrors. Just a quick glance in my left mirror and a quick glance to my left rear. I always look but I found it is beneficial to have an extra safety feature light there for you just in case.

I would rather have an not need than then need and not have.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been impressed with the side mirrors on the C6's and C7's. Our VW is terrible and they are bigger.

I agree with the set up instructions. Here is what I do to get them close.

-head firmly on the head rest looking straight

-adjust the mirror until you can just see the rear fender flare by just moving your eyes slightly left or right

-then move it a couple if ticks until the fender disappears from view

That sets up the lateral view, then adjust height and you should be good.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by MK4sup_isF
Good for you don't think there are blind spots. I for once would rather have extra safety than none. My other cars don't have this and I have been fine for all of these years. That doesn't mean I didn't get a close call once in a while. This is for those split second changing to left left lane in particular. Where I don't have time to check all of my mirrors. Just a quick glance in my left mirror and a quick glance to my left rear. I always look but I found it is beneficial to have an extra safety feature light there for you just in case.

I would rather have an not need than then need and not have.
I have had several cars with Blind Spot Assist and my wife's Mercedes has it now. Was it nice to have and made me feel warm and fuzzy? Sure. Did it save me from crashing into people? No.

There is a cost associated with everything that goes on a car and manufacturers literally measure pennies on production costs when they are targeting a base price. If the focus groups or owner groups dont make it a high priority then it isn't going to make it on the car.

GM is not selling cars they happen to produce, lots of effort and expense goes into building what people want to buy. I understand BSA is something you'd like to have, nothing wrong with that, but 1 opinion on it, especially when you bought one anyways, isn't a very heavy one.

No need to be mad about it.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:05 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

[QUOTE=MK4sup_isF;1592492996]After a couple of close calls in two months. I searched for solution for our blind spots when changing lanes. This maybe the cleanest solution, GPS activated optional too. What do you guys think?

The first week I drove my Stingray the blind spots were the first thing I noticed compared to my previous Vettes. I wrote this up in my initial eval of top 25 fixes to GM for the Stingray in Nov 2013. I understand about the mirror adjustment, always look twice, and every other technique out there. That said I cant count the times I was surprised, no startled to see a car in my blind spot. The situation occurs most when maneuvering in 3+ lanes of traffic. Bunch of close calls. If any car I have driven needs this mod its C7's and Camaro's. In my opinion even the best driver would be well served by blind spot capability in either of these cars.

From the aspect of driver awareness and safety this should be a priority for GM.

Last edited by dar02081961; 06-26-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:07 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
What he said. I can't for the life of me understand why people focus their side-view mirrors down the side of the car. You can already see that focus area in your rear-view mirror. Need to focus your side-view mirrors outward to the point where it slightly overlaps the focus of your rear-view mirror. i.e. when the vehicle coming from behind you leaves the rear-view mirror focus it is immediately picked up in the side-view mirror. Adjusting your mirrors this way removes any blind spot and gives you full rear and side view in your mirrors.
I teach this method all the time to people who answer yes to the questions in the post above. They absolutely agree it works 100% but in the end, they decide to continue doing it wrong because that's what they're used to...simply amazing.

I would be very hesitant to buy the kit above based on the cheap price, obviously made in China, and poor grammar. Even if those problems didn't exist, I still wouldn't buy it because I'm not going to depend on a light and sensors to tell me no car is there. I'm glad GM left that nanny off...
skank (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:25 AM
MK4sup_isF
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper

I teach this method all the time to people who answer yes to the questions in the post above. They absolutely agree it works 100% but in the end, they decide to continue doing it wrong because that's what they're used to...simply amazing.

I would be very hesitant to buy the kit above based on the cheap price, obviously made in China, and poor grammar. Even if those problems didn't exist, I still wouldn't buy it because I'm not going to depend on a light and sensors to tell me no car is there. I'm glad GM left that nanny off...
Large amount of components of any cars now a day are made in China. Just the way of cost cutting.
I'm not talking relying on it for every lane change. It's for one of those rare moments when you need to make a sudden lane change. When you only have a split second to glance behind your left shoulder. It is good to have a light on that side to let you know. Just incase you didn't see. It's 3 things that may help you instead of two (side mirror and glance to your side). Safety in numbers

I rather have and not need than need and not have. I can careless for power folding mirror or adaptive cruise control.

All cars have blind spots. Some are more than others. I just want to minimize my chance of getting into an accident. I love this Z and would like to drive it everyday, instead of in the bodyshop
Old 06-26-2016, 08:09 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

It's all the posters around here who THINK that they are such accomplished drivers, that there are no blindspots in the cars and that they can drive around all day long being perfectly safe without incident. Same people who think that automatic transmissions in these cars are a sacrilege and that real drivers should only be driving a stick...

I'll take blindspot and curb assists any day of the week. No matter how good I may think I am, cameras give me the view I need and take out out all of the guesswork. For those are too cool to admit it...go and spend your money fixing the damage you incurred by being cool, rather than smart.

These devices will eventually be mandated by the gov'ts, because they DO reduce accidents and fatalities. They would not even be offered if they did'tt assist the drivers.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
It's all the posters around here who THINK that they are such accomplished drivers, that there are no blindspots in the cars and that they can drive around all day long being perfectly safe without incident. Same people who think that automatic transmissions in these cars are a sacrilege and that real drivers should only be driving a stick...
People who don't think the Corvette not having Blind Spot is a big deal also drive manual transmissions? You sound very insecure about your driving abilities.

Oh yeah, my Z06 is an automatic and I don't care about Blind Spot. It's not about being an "accomplished driver" it's about knowing the basics before adding extras. The point is, if your mirrors are pointing at your rear wheels then you have bigger problems than a lack of a warning light. If you STILL are crashing your car and everything else is properly set up, regardless of your brain power, coordination, and body mechanics, then you better get something other than a Corvette anyways.

But hey, it's a "free country" so you are afforded the right to buy whatever car you want, right?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:15 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

People who don't think the Corvette not having Blind Spot is a big deal also drive manual transmissions? You sound very insecure about your driving abilities.

Oh yeah, my Z06 is an automatic and I don't care about Blind Spot. It's not about being an "accomplished driver" it's about knowing the basics before adding extras. The point is, if your mirrors are pointing at your rear wheels then you have bigger problems than a lack of a warning light. If you STILL are crashing your car and everything else is properly set up, regardless of your brain power, coordination, and body mechanics, then you better get something other than a Corvette anyways.

But hey, it's a "free country" so you are afforded the right to buy whatever car you want, right?
Pretty soon they will put the "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!" backup warning on the Corvette like they have on the Volvos.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket blind spots monitor?? GM should have included it!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Darn all these years with out them! How do I manage?
Can we not have this debate again?

You have no need or want for it, other drivers do.
If you felt that way about the radio, should GM not include one?

BSA has uses beyond blind side avoidance, it can also make exiting a tight garage easier, as my Cayenne has demonstrated to me.

Just recognize others may want features you don't.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
Can we not have this debate again?

You have no need or want for it, other drivers do.
If you felt that way about the radio, should GM not include one?

BSA has uses beyond blind side avoidance, it can also make exiting a tight garage easier, as my Cayenne has demonstrated to me.

Just recognize others may want features you don't.
Sounds more like Park Assist. Most BSA do not function at parking lot speeds.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Sounds more like Park Assist. Most BSA do not function at parking lot speeds.
Your correct, I forgot all about that...

The audible alerts sound very similar and I mistook one for the other.
I also like the visual on the screen of the car and how close the garage sides are. Very useful until I can widen my damn garage doors!

There is still zero valid reason to suggest a safety device designed to fill the void of human error isn't a logical idea. Mirrors are great, even more so when properly aimed but the human element is still the unknown. A person can be distracted, tired or something enters the "blind spot" very suddenly. Even with mirrors aimed so this blid spot is visible to the driver from the mirror, if you just looked at the mirrors and saw nothing then you'd not be expecting something to be there a fraction of a second later and you can't spend all your time looking at mirrors or else you'd have a new blind spot.

BSA has its purpose, don't know those that recognize this.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket blind spots monitor?? GM should have included it!