C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Suntek and Modesta coating

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Elohim1
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Suntek and Modesta coating

My detailer has talked me into going with Suntek clear bra and Modesta bc-05 Ceramic coating on the exterior.

I have previously used Xpel , Opticoat and Cquartz. Have had good results with these products.

Anyone used the Suntek and Modesta combination ?

or just Modesta ?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Elohim1
My detailer has talked me into going with Suntek clear bra and Modesta bc-05 Ceramic coating on the exterior.

I have previously used Xpel , Opticoat and Cquartz. Have had good results with these products.

or just Modesta ?
My entire car is wrapped in an xpel/suntek combo. Because I track mine, I used xpel ultimate on the most damage prone areas, bumper, hood, rockers and brake ducts. The rest is done in suntek which apparently has better optic clarity. Looking at the fender to hood, I cannot distinguish between the two.
The following users liked this post:
Elohim1 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Elohim1

or just Modesta ?
Yes, I have Suntek film on the entire car and Modesta BC-05 on top of the film. I had the detailer perform paint correction before applying the film. Also BC-06 heat coating on the wheels to help protect paint from both heat and brake dust. Superb results!
Elohim1 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Elohim1
Advanced

Originally Posted by arturox2
Yes, I have Suntek film on the entire car and Modesta BC-05 on top of the film. I had the detailer perform paint correction before applying the film. Also BC-06 heat coating on the wheels to help protect paint from both heat and brake dust. Superb results!
Glad to hear this.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I have used Suntek on both C7's on the advice of an installer I trust implicitly, but only on the vulnerable surfaces.

I get covering the whole car but I cannot understand why you would worry about paint correction and then apply a sealant over the film?

I am not criticizing your decision just don't understand it. (I paint corrected, partial SunTek, sealant on not film'd areas).

Pics?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

also can you buy Modesta and apply your self our is it avail. thru dealers/detailers only?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Elohim1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Florida2000
also can you buy Modesta and apply your self our is it avail. thru dealers/detailers only?
You need to take it to a professional. IR lamps are used to cure.

r00t61 (09-04-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 02:20 AM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Suntek and decided against my initial plan of coating it in Modesta after seeing the wrap only look. I would suggest waiting to see how you feel before adding the coating. It also ruins the "self healing" properties of the film.

Last edited by l888apex; 06-26-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Elohim1 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Elohim1
Advanced

Originally Posted by l888apex
It also ruins the "self healing" properties of the film.
That statement appears to be questionable.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by l888apex
I have Suntek and decided against my initial plan of coating it in Modesta after seeing the wrap only look. I would suggest waiting to see how you feel before adding the coating. It also ruins the "self healing" properties of the film.
Still self-heals.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Florida2000
I have used Suntek on both C7's on the advice of an installer I trust implicitly, but only on the vulnerable surfaces.

I get covering the whole car but I cannot understand why you would worry about paint correction and then apply a sealant over the film?

I am not criticizing your decision just don't understand it. (I paint corrected, partial SunTek, sealant on not film'd areas).

Pics?
The paint correction helped with paint imperfections. The Modesta BC-05 provides protection (sacrificial layer) to the surface of the film without impacting its self-healing properties. It also provides a significantly higher level of shine/gloss than the Suntek naturally shows. The Modesta is easy to maintain, doesn't attract dust, and water just runs off of it.

I've found that pictures don't really do much--too many variables like lighting, color of car, resolution of camera, etc. The shine on the car in post #9 is representative.

Last edited by arturox2; 06-28-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suntek and Modesta coating

Quick Reply: Suntek and Modesta coating