C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Painted wheels... Yuk

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Cowboy Troy
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Painted wheels... Yuk

What's up with the painted wheels? I don't like them at all. They look dirty to me. I guess it's a matter of taste and I'm old school. I realize they are very popular right now. My Chevy dealer tells me that glass black is the most in demand.

I like...

Gold and diamonds for my women
Leather for my fine furniture
Crystal for fine drink ware
Silk for my naughty women
CHROME for my fine rides

But that's just my opinion...
The following 4 users liked this post by Cowboy Troy:
Frodo (06-30-2016), j43w1 (06-28-2016), robertbruce (06-29-2016), Sooo Bad (06-30-2016)

Popular Reply

06-27-2016, 11:04 PM
Muscles
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Troy
What's up with the painted wheels? I don't like them at all. They look dirty to me. I guess it's a matter of taste and I'm old school. I realize they are very popular right now. My Chevy dealer tells me that glass black is the most in demand.

I like...

CHROME for my fine rides

Chrome? Lol. Does that come with a CD changer as well? Do you like looking at the reflection of your bell bottoms in them? No other manufacturer of sports cars offer chrome wheels. In my opinion it is what keeps this cars image down as an old fart car. This car has some nasty stereotypes associated with it and it's usually because its fan base refuses to adjust its styles with the times.

Drive what you like, but painted wheels are much more modern. Do you see Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini offering chrome? Time to update your school clothes son....

G
Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 PM
Muscles
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I like...

CHROME for my fine rides

Chrome? Lol. Does that come with a CD changer as well? Do you like looking at the reflection of your bell bottoms in them? No other manufacturer of sports cars offer chrome wheels. In my opinion it is what keeps this cars image down as an old fart car. This car has some nasty stereotypes associated with it and it's usually because its fan base refuses to adjust its styles with the times.

Drive what you like, but painted wheels are much more modern. Do you see Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini offering chrome? Time to update your school clothes son....

G
The following 10 users liked this post by Muscles:
Ahmed_otb (06-28-2016), BigBird440 (06-28-2016), Dr. ice (06-30-2016), Forujames (06-28-2016), ManuelCarrillo3 (06-28-2016), sam90lx (06-28-2016), Stingray23 (06-28-2016), T-Z06-J (06-30-2016), VictorBarron (06-27-2016), yellow1974 (06-28-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:25 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,402 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Chrome has kind of lost its luster when shinny bumpers were phased out. Not hate'n as they look good on classic cars, and it's obviously a personal choice, but I like the painted wheels on my Z06.

Oh, BTW, I think this topic may have been discussed before but I'm giving your thread a bump since it's your first...
The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016), yellow1974 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:38 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I ordered my Z06 with the cheapest wheels since I was buying some Forgeline VX1's anyway. It came with the Pearl Nickel-painted aluminum wheels and I was actually very impressed about how good they looked. I'm 55 and I was even looking past the Chrome Wheels but whatever makes you happy. I ended up with a brushed Clear finish.
The following users liked this post:
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:40 AM
Cowboy Troy
Instructor

I like...

CHROME for my fine rides

Originally Posted by Muscles

G
I apologize if I sounded offensive. Everyone is entitled to their own choices as long as they are legal. I notice that whenever any US car Mfgr. Takes any model to a car show, they bolt on the chrome wheels.

Also, i know that they would rather use painted wheels because chrome in general has many environmental concerns. They have eliminated almost everything that used to be chrome except wheels. If I had to buy a new car with painted wheels I would simply replace with aftermarket chrome and give you my painted rejects. See... I am a nice guy.

And I almost forgot...

Global warming ...or is it getting colder?
We are running out of oil ...someday
Germany and Italy won WW2
Sour Krout sandwich n pasta goo better than apple pie any day
Europe is the world leader
Dammned dumb United States

I could care less what the radicals in Europe think about cars. I wouldn't drive a foreign car if someone gave it to me. I'm old school, you see. I hear they are passing laws over there prohibiting internal combustion cars.they wanna go SOLAR. That ought to make for some real speed demons.

I've heard the chrome vs. painted wheel discussions before. I am new to this board but not so new to the world. But, I do respect your opinion.

I hope we can remain e-friends with different opinions. We apparently both like Corvettes. I know I do.

There is always a CHROME paint option.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

I like...

CHROME for my fine rides

Silk is mighty fine, especially if there's a nice, straight seam down the backs of their legs - but that's much too classic for today's inked generation.

Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 AM
Cowboy Troy
Instructor

Originally Posted by STStingray
Chrome has kind of lost its luster when shinny bumpers were phased out. Not hate'n as they look good on classic cars, and it's obviously a personal choice, but I like the painted wheels on my Z06.

Oh, BTW, I think this topic may have been discussed before but I'm giving your thread a bump since it's your first...
Thanks for the bump. I do like Arctic white with white gloss wheels. I could live with that. I also find Yelow with Gloss Black kinda beginning to wear on me. I still like chrome better though. I'm a bit older and change does not come easy, but I am trying.

I wish they would bring back bumpers too.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Cowboy Troy
Instructor

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Silk is mighty fine, especially if there's a nice, straight seam down the backs of their legs - but that's much too classic for today's inked generation.

Or better yet... fishnet
Old 06-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Cowboy Troy
Instructor

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
I ordered my Z06 with the cheapest wheels since I was buying some Forgeline VX1's anyway. It came with the Pearl Nickel-painted aluminum wheels and I was actually very impressed about how good they looked. I'm 55 and I was even looking past the Chrome Wheels but whatever makes you happy. I ended up with a brushed Clear finish.
I've seen the nickel paint on a Z06. I do like that and could live with it because it kinda resembles chrome. I'm just an old fart set in his ways.
Maybe the black wheels will grow on me and I will change my mind. I didn't like the C7 body style when I first saw it, but now I love it.

Good luck n best wishes
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

And I almost forgot...

Global warming ...or is it getting colder?
We are running out of oil ...someday
Germany and Italy won WW2
Sour Krout sandwich n pasta goo better than apple pie any day
Europe is the world leader
Dammned dumb United States

I could care less what the radicals in Europe think about cars. I wouldn't drive a foreign car if someone gave it to me. I'm old school, you see. I hear they are passing laws over there prohibiting internal combustion cars.they wanna go SOLAR. That ought to make for some real speed demons.

I've heard the chrome vs. painted wheel discussions before. I am new to this board but not so new to the world. But, I do respect your opinion.

I hope we can remain e-friends with different opinions. We apparently both like Corvettes. I know I do.

There is always a CHROME paint option.
WTH?

Your most recent mental health diagnosis, what is it?

Knowing may help put the above post into perspective.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Muscles
Chrome? Lol. Does that come with a CD changer as well?

G
What is nice about CDs is that the music is full frequency, unlike the music that is typically downloaded today.

I miss CD changers as they offered lossless music without the intermediate step of transferring to a "more modern" medium.

But, as long as we are smart enough to transfer onto the USB stick using a lossless format, we can still enjoy music at a high level of quality.
sunsalem (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
What is nice about CDs is that the music is full frequency, unlike the music that is typically downloaded today.

I miss CD changers as they offered lossless music without the intermediate step of transferring to a "more modern" medium.

But, as long as we are smart enough to transfer onto the USB stick using a lossless format, we can still enjoy music at a high level of quality.
Not to sound like a jerk but it is a sports car and CDs scratch, skip, etc. but let's face it everything is auto tuned so it's not like you know what they really sound like even at concerts.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

I am old school (65) and really like my AW with black wheels. Nearby neighbor has a silver Z06 with some kind of silver looking wheels. He says he likes mine much better as do I.
Each to his own.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I hate black wheels. You can't see the design of the wheel at all, they might as well be Mickey Mouse Ear fascias . But, this will fall on deaf ears being in the minority.
The following 3 users liked this post by LowFlight:
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016), Firemedic301 (06-28-2016), Frodo (06-30-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Buy what you like. But remember that black and chrome offer some real problems. Black is just paint and can look banged up after a while. With chrome wheels if you hit a rock and the chrome plating chips you have to get a new wheel since it cannot be retouched. Both types of wheels appeal to a different age group. The young guys favor the black wheels and the older guys favor the chrome. Neither is a bad choice if thats what you want.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 06-28-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyson Diver
I hate black wheels. You can't see the design of the wheel at all, they might as well be Mickey Mouse Ear fascias . But, this will fall on deaf ears being in the minority.
I don't like black wheels either, for the same reason as you. But the chrome wheels on a Z06, with them being so intricate, end up looking like this:

The Spectra Gray wheels are a great alternative and look fantastic in person:

The following 2 users liked this post by Speednet:
Cowboy Troy (06-28-2016), gurneyeagle (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:18 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nadovedan
Not to sound like a jerk but it is a sports car and CDs scratch, skip, etc. but let's face it everything is auto tuned so it's not like you know what they really sound like even at concerts.
No problem, you don't sound like a jerk at all.

You sound like:
1) someone who listens to much different music than I do - I don't listen to auto-tuned music;
2) someone who possibly takes different care of their CDs - mine aren't scratched and they don't skip, and
3) someone who possibly goes to a completely different sort of concert than I would .

Yep, it's a "sports car" - a really great one with a fairly decent sound system that will reproduce good music well. But it's like my brother computer ancients used to say: "Garbage in, garbage out". IOW, music is as good or as bad as the sound source (musician and his/her production values) and the machinery chain used to present it.

I have listened to mp3 files from my son's phone on great sound systems and for me (yep, just for me) it was a bit like ordering a diet coke with a perfectly aged, prepared, and elegantly served sirloin at a five star restaurant. It's ALL wrong. In his defense: he's young but he gets a bit smarter every day, so he'll figure it out pretty soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted wheels... Yuk

Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

You do realize you don't have to pick between chrome or black. There is a big, wide world of wheel finish options out there ranging from silver (not chrome) to brushed aluminum with myriad - damned near infinite - levels of tinted powder coat. And that's before you even get to the notion of other colors.

Peruse an HRE catalog for example, and you'll quickly see that limiting your range of decision to black or chrome provides a stunted view at best.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
You have a pic of those wheels?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 AM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,158 Likes on 532 Posts

This is prob the 4367th Thread on this

Quick Reply: Painted wheels... Yuk