C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The leather used today is coated. Nothing can penetrate the top coat. Don't believe it ? Place a few drops of water of your seats and watch it sit there. All the fancy conditioners you apply are a huge waste of money. If it makes you feel good spend your money on these things but they do nothing but add a nice smell to the plastic coated top.
I disagree. I can watch the conditioner soak in and darken the leather as its absorbed. The plastic coating may repel water but most conditioners are not water.

Keep repeating what you have heard and ignore what actually works.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I use Adam's Conditioner on my Napa leather and agree that there is some benefit/absorption; certainly not as much as with uncoated leather, but some.
The following users liked this post:
6104696 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The leather used today is coated. Nothing can penetrate the top coat. Don't believe it ? Place a few drops of water of your seats and watch it sit there. All the fancy conditioners you apply are a huge waste of money. If it makes you feel good spend your money on these things but they do nothing but add a nice smell to the plastic coated top.
PB2 cleaner followed by PB2 from Malco is what I use to.

Rubber gaskets don't soak water either but they get hard and the PB2 will soak in and soften it the same thing with the seats.

You can take a 1967 Corvette dash board rock hard . It will ALSO brings back hard stiff WIPER BLADES just soak in the PB2 on for 1 week spraying on the PB2 every day and the material softness will return

The coated leather story doesn't matter the PB2 product DOES
soak in. I was turned to it by a leather and vinyl shop 30 years ago.
The shop bought it by the drum.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-03-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
I disagree. I can watch the conditioner soak in and darken the leather as its absorbed. The plastic coating may repel water but most conditioners are not water.

Keep repeating what you have heard and ignore what actually works.
You must sell the stuff. If it won't absorb water molecules it won't absorb an oil product either. Its either porous or its not. Read your manual.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Mig233
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I see all the back and forth...the only fact that I can discern is that the leather is cheap. Undisputed.

I have two products that I used for the interior of my vehicles and they are both excellent: Vinlex for vinyl and Lexol for leather. But our leather has a vinyl coating. So my question is this:

Which one or combination of the two should I use on my 3LZ interior seats, dash, door panels etc?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnpars
why do the seats dry out and crack? I have an 05 light grey int and i treat to keep it from cracking..am I doing something wrong? I use leather cond from Oreillys......

they do not "dry out and crack"

over time, they develop creases from weight/pressure and then those cracks fill with dirt, which sands its way through the coating then leather.

Keep them clean and it won't happen.

Last edited by Spacewalker; 11-06-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

And yet treatment with Zaino leather in a bottle leaves the leather softer, more flexible, looking great and the interior smelling like new leather. I really don't care if its coated or not. The product works as intended on the leather seats, dash steering wheel and console. I've seen what 5 year old C6s look like that have not been treated....yep, time for a new vette. Exactly what GM wants.

Just because its 'coated' does not make it sealed or that a good conditioner will not be absorbed. It plainly does.
I have always used Zaino.Works good for me and I love the smell.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I have always used Zaino.Works good for me and I love the smell.
anyone who thinks conditioners get absorbed into your seat skins or dash should do a simple test. Take a single drop of water, and put it anywhere on any leather or vinyl surface of your interior. The water drop should remain a drop of water. If it is absorbed into the leather or vinyl, you have already destroyed the waterproof sealer that all C5 interiors are protected by. If you use a disulfide product, many are, it will remove that coating over time. I asked maguires to release an MSDS REPORT, they did not comply..I could make them release one but because they refused, I won't even attempt to test one of their products on my car. Silicones and disulfides ( which are acid anhydride ). and automotive leathers and vinyls are not the best product to use on your car. Lots of marketing and hype.. these manufacturers want to get that coating ( seat ) off your leather and vinyl so your car will be dependant on their product, which look great after you reapply them.
Sorry for the long winded post... just some things you should know.
Bill aha ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

And yet treatment with Zaino leather in a bottle leaves the leather softer, more flexible, looking great and the interior smelling like new leather. I really don't care if its coated or not. The product works as intended on the leather seats, dash steering wheel and console. I've seen what 5 year old C6s look like that have not been treated....yep, time for a new vette. Exactly what GM wants.

Just because its 'coated' does not make it sealed or that a good conditioner will not be absorbed. It plainly does.
Best stuff that ive ever used .

Clif
Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 PM
pingiii
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Suede like inserts in my C6 GS

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I am not an expert on leather, I am passing information from the leather suppliers I worked with. I do know they insisted the best care for automotive seats was keeping the surfaces clean with mild soap and water.
Hi, I just got a C6 Grand Sport with the two tone seats. The outer edges are shiny leather but the seat and back inserts are like a brushed/suede material. How do I clean this and what if anything should I put on it to protect it from stains and wear? I live in FL so I'm a little worried that sweating will cause stains that I can't get out.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696
I have never really focused on my leather interiors before, but the leather dash on my 3LZ baking in the sun has me wondering if I should protect it, and my though would be if I put conditioner on the dash, I should do the other leather surfaces as well. I have some Adams "GM" leather conditioner. Has anybody used this on their 3LZ interior? Does it make the leather shiny or slippery? I am just interested in protecting and preserving the leather....I don't want that armorall shininess/slipperiness.

First world problems.....

Thanks in advance.
The answer is yes you should protect it.

With a sun shade or car cover. (or a dash cover, but they are tacky).

You can clean all the "leather" surfaces with a damp cloth . (I use distilled water in a spray bottle).

Stubborn stains, Adams leather/interior cleaner is great, especially the steering wheel and shift ****.

For carpet, I use Folex.

Last edited by Florida2000; 01-18-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Roastum1
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

303. Use sparingly.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:47 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll stick with what the manufacturer says and I will also ignore the tin hat "GM wants you to ruin your interior by using a damp cloth" conspiracists.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Gentlemen, this is an age-old argument! At the end of the day, you must make your own decision that you're most comfortable with. There are MANY great suggestions in this thread. Read it and decide what is best for you and your car.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:46 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Here's another interesting idea for leather. I wish it came in smaller size.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

My issue with my Kalahari interior (and that of my BMW's Cognac) leather is Blue Jean dye transfer. Has any found something really good to clean this off? I have used Lexol and I believe that warm water with a little mild soap would work as well. But it still is difficult to get all off completely. Once clean I use a cheap auto parts store tan seat cover. Not pretty but it does minimize the dye transfer. Take it off for shows. --Bob

Quick Reply: Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?