C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?

I have never really focused on my leather interiors before, but the leather dash on my 3LZ baking in the sun has me wondering if I should protect it, and my though would be if I put conditioner on the dash, I should do the other leather surfaces as well. I have some Adams "GM" leather conditioner. Has anybody used this on their 3LZ interior? Does it make the leather shiny or slippery? I am just interested in protecting and preserving the leather....I don't want that armorall shininess/slipperiness.

First world problems.....

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I leather honey mine about once every three months, then wipe with meguirres wipes before outings or shows
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...her-upholstery

"The protective, plastic surface of vinyl-coated leather makes it virtually care-free. There’s no need to use a leather conditioner, since it won’t be absorbed."

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-01-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools...her-upholstery

"The protective, plastic surface of vinyl-coated leather makes it virtually care-free. There’s no need to use a leather conditioner, since it won’t be absorbed."

Thanks. It is my understanding that the "Mulan" leather of the 2LZ is vinyl coated/bonded leather, but that the Napa leather of the 3LZ is "real" leather and is not plastic or vinyl coated.........thus my question. I could be wrong, though....
Old 08-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Both versions of C7 leather are coated.

Originally Posted by 6104696
Thanks. It is my understanding that the "Mulan" leather of the 2LZ is vinyl coated/bonded leather, but that the Napa leather of the 3LZ is "real" leather and is not plastic or vinyl coated.........thus my question. I could be wrong, though....
Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

And yet treatment with Zaino leather in a bottle leaves the leather softer, more flexible, looking great and the interior smelling like new leather. I really don't care if its coated or not. The product works as intended on the leather seats, dash steering wheel and console. I've seen what 5 year old C6s look like that have not been treated....yep, time for a new vette. Exactly what GM wants.

Just because its 'coated' does not make it sealed or that a good conditioner will not be absorbed. It plainly does.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

From an automotive leather manufacturer: http://www.eagleottawa.com/about-leather/leather-care/

Originally Posted by jcthorne
And yet treatment with Zaino leather in a bottle leaves the leather softer, more flexible, looking great and the interior smelling like new leather. I really don't care if its coated or not. The product works as intended on the leather seats, dash steering wheel and console. I've seen what 5 year old C6s look like that have not been treated....yep, time for a new vette. Exactly what GM wants.

Just because its 'coated' does not make it sealed or that a good conditioner will not be absorbed. It plainly does.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
From an automotive leather manufacturer: http://www.eagleottawa.com/about-leather/leather-care/
And your point? You are spouting web sites about generalities.

I am telling you what works and how from first hand specific experience.

Vinyl is a plastic material as well and yet protectant / conditioners of the correct type keep it working and looking new for many years even in direct sunshine.

Last edited by jcthorne; 08-01-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

I worked as a program manager for an OEM seat manufacturer for several years. The supplier of the leather stated to me several times that conditioners are ineffective and to use the cleaning method recommended by them and the OEMs. If you want to spend money and put in effort to apply conditioners that is certainly your prerogative. I will go with what the leather manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted by jcthorne
And your point? You are spouting web sites about generalities.

I am telling you what works and how from first hand specific experience.

Vinyl is a plastic material as well and yet protectant / conditioners of the correct type keep it working and looking new for many years even in direct sunshine.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

I worked as a program manager for an OEM seat manufacturer for several years. The supplier of the leather stated to me several times that conditioners are ineffective and to use the cleaning method recommended by them and the OEMs. If you want to spend money and put in effort to apply conditioners that is certainly your prerogative. I will go with what the leather manufacturer recommends.
Do as you wish. Its your car. I was just relating to you and others here what works and I have seen first hand. I have no dog in this fight. The OEM suppliers and GM have a vested interest in proclaiming the lowest possible maintenance requirements and selling you replacements.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Sorry, I don't believe the OEMs are downgrading the maintenance instructions in order to sell replacement parts, sell new cars or to reduce maintenance costs. When I worked on seats there was constant pressure from the OEMs to make the seating surface more robust. This is the reason coated leathers were invented. There is much better wear and resistance to staining with the coated leathers. I know of no OEM or leather manufacturer who commends anything but mild soap and water for cleaning.

Last edited by Boiler_81; 08-01-2016 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry, I don't believe the OEMs are downgrading the maintenance instructions in order to sell replacement parts, sell new cars or to reduce maintenance costs. When I worked on seats there was constant pressure from the OEMs to make the seating surface more robust. This is the reason coated leathers were invented. There is much better wear and resistance to staining with the coated leathers. I know of no OEM or leather manufacturer who commends anything but mild soap and water for cleaning.
why do the seats dry out and crack? I have an 05 light grey int and i treat to keep it from cracking..am I doing something wrong? I use leather cond from Oreillys......
Old 08-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

I am not an expert on leather, I am passing information from the leather suppliers I worked with. I do know they insisted the best care for automotive seats was keeping the surfaces clean with mild soap and water.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Mulan leather could never be sold as leather, only marketed through car seat sales. They are garbage leather strips chewed up and bonded together and, if you look real close, they do not have a leather grain. It would be similar to weiners being marketed a true beef. It can also be described as spam.

Having said that, I have heard and read many complaints where people didn't like the wear of their NAPA leather after awhile, or even the suede inserts, whereas mulan leather appears to wear very well.

I had this exact conversation at a car show yesterday, in fact, where a 3LZ owner showed me how loose the leather on his seat had become where he sits... I wonder if this is really common? At first, I was a bit pissed I never knew what Mulan was as I would have went with NAPA...but not so sure anymore. Obligatory interior pik... 20k miles...

Last edited by AllFlash; 08-01-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The leather used today is coated. Nothing can penetrate the top coat. Don't believe it ? Place a few drops of water of your seats and watch it sit there. All the fancy conditioners you apply are a huge waste of money. If it makes you feel good spend your money on these things but they do nothing but add a nice smell to the plastic coated top.
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AllFlash
Mulan leather could never be sold as leather, only marketed through car seat sales. They are garbage leather strips chewed up and bonded together and, if you look real close, they do not have a leather grain. It would be similar to weiners being marketed a true beef. It can also be described as spam.

Having said that, I have heard and read many complaints where people didn't like the wear of their NAPA leather after awhile, or even the suede inserts, whereas mulan leather appears to wear very well.

I had this exact conversation at a car show yesterday, in fact, where a 3LZ owner showed me how loose the leather on his seat had become where he sits... I wonder if this is really common? At first, I was a bit pissed I never knew what Mulan was as I would have went with NAPA...but not so sure anymore. Obligatory interior pik... 20k miles...
The Mulan on my 2LZ looked and felt like the standard (cheap) leather that came on my mid-grade suburban LT's. Looks fine (though not particularly smooth or supple) when new, but starts to look like stretched shiny vinyl once it got worn.

The Napa leather in my 3LZ looks and feels like the upgraded leather in my two Cadillac CTS-V's. Smoother and more supple, and wore very well for the 5-6 years of ownership of each CTS-V (about 35K miles on each car when sold). Much better than the cheaper Suburban LT leather. I hope the Napa wears the same as the CTS-V leather.

I am small and light and don't squirm around in the seat, so maybe that has something to do with it, but the cheaper leather showed wear after a few years where the upgraded leather did not.

YMMV.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The leather used today is coated. Nothing can penetrate the top coat. Don't believe it ? Place a few drops of water of your seats and watch it sit there. All the fancy conditioners you apply are a huge waste of money. If it makes you feel good spend your money on these things but they do nothing but add a nice smell to the plastic coated top.
I like the smell so I will keep spending my money. Leather In A Bottle by Zaino.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
jcthorne (08-02-2016), The Yav (08-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?

Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 AM
JonaOhana
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Boo yah!

Originally Posted by 6104696
I have never really focused on my leather interiors before, but the leather dash on my 3LZ baking in the sun has me wondering if I should protect it, and my though would be if I put conditioner on the dash, I should do the other leather surfaces as well. I have some Adams "GM" leather conditioner. Has anybody used this on their 3LZ interior? Does it make the leather shiny or slippery? I am just interested in protecting and preserving the leather....I don't want that armorall shininess/slipperiness.

First world problems.....

Thanks in advance.

There is a product called boo yah leather conditioner, it will leave your leather feeling soft and moisturized - 3lz corvette leather comes a bit dry from the factory - compared to P-cars, put this stuff on - be a bit generous with it like a pea sized amount per square foot and work it into the leather a bit in circular motions then let it dry, you will see the results the next day , really cool product leaves leather soft to the touch , no gloss or oily look or feeling - just perfectly moisturized leather.

Interesting , as I'm writing this , the product has a different name now I liked the name boo yah better... Link below

https://www.amazon.com/Kevian-Clean-...ywords=Boo+yah

Last edited by JonaOhana; 08-02-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

One point that has not yet been raised is the fact that Adam's Leather Conditioner has UV protection so if you believe that at least some of the sun damage to leather over time is from UV, the applying this conditioner should help.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaron
One point that has not yet been raised is the fact that Adam's Leather Conditioner has UV protection so if you believe that at least some of the sun damage to leather over time is from UV, the applying this conditioner should help.
Won't matter since as soon as you sit in the seat if will rub off on your clothes since it will not be absorbed in the plastic coating.

Quick Reply: Leather conditioner on Napa Leather?