C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I just recently had a fasterproms aux intercooler tank installed. The factory fill port you guys are using for pulling a vacuum is eliminated with this tank. Since the tank sits below the level of the supercharger and is also intended to be used to run ice for drag racing looks to me like there is no way to remove all the air in this system. The tank instructions say to fill system using tank to near top and keep adding fluid until tank level quits going down when running pump. I am thinking of re-installing the factory fill and bleed port, filling tank to top above return line in tank and then pulling the vacuum and continuing to add fluid through the factory fitting. I don't intend to use Ice at track so the tank lid threads can be sealed with Teflon tape pipe thread sealant and the o-ring Jeremy uses. Any thoughts on this????
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart
I just recently had a fasterproms aux intercooler tank installed. The factory fill port you guys are using for pulling a vacuum is eliminated with this tank. Since the tank sits below the level of the supercharger and is also intended to be used to run ice for drag racing looks to me like there is no way to remove all the air in this system. The tank instructions say to fill system using tank to near top and keep adding fluid until tank level quits going down when running pump. I am thinking of re-installing the factory fill and bleed port, filling tank to top above return line in tank and then pulling the vacuum and continuing to add fluid through the factory fitting. I don't intend to use Ice at track so the tank lid threads can be sealed with Teflon tape pipe thread sealant and the o-ring Jeremy uses. Any thoughts on this????
You can run the factory port with the fasterproms tank. Here is mine. And as for air in the system... A trapped air pocket isnt the end of the world in the aux tank. Honestly, the trapped air in the factory tank also isnt a big deal, but it is a sign that there is air elsewhere (ie intercooler bricks) which is why we all fight to limit that. No air in the factory tank is a confirmation there is no air elsewhere.

Last edited by atljar; 10-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
You can run the factory port with the fasterproms tank. Here is mine. And as for air in the system... A trapped air pocket isnt the end of the world in the aux tank. Honestly, the trapped air in the factory tank also isnt a big deal, but it is a sign that there is air elsewhere (ie intercooler bricks) which is why we all fight to limit that. No air in the factory tank is a confirmation there is no air elsewhere.
Thanks for the picture that is exactly what I intend to do. Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I assume Jeremy Fomato runs his Z06 without the factory fill and bleed port as the instructions say to remove it. Since the line with the factory port is higher than the return to the Fomato aux tank what stops the coolant from the SC coolant bricks and the return line from gravity feeding into the aux tank and the air in the top of the aux tank from moving back up into the return line and possibly into the bricks. The factory intercooler system is a sealed system and once you get all the air out problem solved but with a system that has a large air pocket in the top of the aux coolant tank which is located just below the level of the SC intercooler lines looks to me like that air is going to move back up into the return line when the pump shuts down. I must be overthinking this because guys are draining the aux tanks to fill with ice and coolant at the track and don't seem to have air lock problems. At any rate I am considering completely filling the aux tank and sealing it and then making this system into a sealed closed system with additional coolant capacity.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:59 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jstewart
Thanks for the picture that is exactly what I intend to do. Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I assume Jeremy Fomato runs his Z06 without the factory fill and bleed port as the instructions say to remove it. Since the line with the factory port is higher than the return to the Fomato aux tank what stops the coolant from the SC coolant bricks and the return line from gravity feeding into the aux tank and the air in the top of the aux tank from moving back up into the return line and possibly into the bricks. The factory intercooler system is a sealed system and once you get all the air out problem solved but with a system that has a large air pocket in the top of the aux coolant tank which is located just below the level of the SC intercooler lines looks to me like that air is going to move back up into the return line when the pump shuts down. I must be overthinking this because guys are draining the aux tanks to fill with ice and coolant at the track and don't seem to have air lock problems. At any rate I am considering completely filling the aux tank and sealing it and then making this system into a sealed closed system with additional coolant capacity.
So long as you keep the top entry tube of the Aux tank submersed in coolant, air wont track back up and into the intercooler bricks. That gives you maybe 2 inches of leeway in the top of the aux tank to play with. If you are running ice, I would surely make it a point to be adding ice and water at the same time you were draining to keep the system bled and ensuring the level never drops past the inlet tube.

When I was vacuuming my system, I did make it a point to 100% fill the aux tank so that I wasnt fighting a big air pocket in that tank. After bleeding, I dropped it down maybe 1/2" from the cap.

Last edited by atljar; 10-23-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 PM
dxbtune
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the video at 17 minutes exactly. A homemade vacuum system to purge the system.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

I started trying to do mine with a mityvac hand pump like shown. Its a good start but I was never able to get the bubble out of the lower reservoir until I hooked up a AC machine vacuum pump.

Either way, if you slide a small piece of PCV down in your clear tube, it will stop it from collapsing under vacuum and still allow you to see what the fluid is doing.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 AM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Back from the dead LOL. Seems to me a bleeder in the reservoir is the best option for bleeding out entrapped air pockets. I seen where someone had said they put in a screw with an o-ring to bleed out the air but I never seen a pic of this or any real follow up on that.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:27 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
Back from the dead LOL. Seems to me a bleeder in the reservoir is the best option for bleeding out entrapped air pockets. I seen where someone had said they put in a screw with an o-ring to bleed out the air but I never seen a pic of this or any real follow up on that.
I did the screw and rubber washer bleed on my reservoir twice. Following the first bleed I was able to add 5oz of coolant. After some street miles and a track weekend the reservoir was down again. I did another bleed at the reservoir and was able to add 4oz of coolant.
After another track weekend in December reservoir is down a bit. ( I will post a pic of before and now).
I have no idea if the air is coming out of SC or elsewhere in the system but The 9oz of coolant added indicates some progress.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbtune
Check out the video at 17 minutes exactly. A homemade vacuum system to purge the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MDZVv78se4
The boys have grown up since then and their videography has improved as well. I remember that build. I traded messages with them a few times after they took it to the drag strip that 1 time to try to help them improve their times, but then they sold it.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (03-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Bleeding/Purging the Corvette Z06 Intercooler video