C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tadge speaking to us at Carlisle-IC changes and help for existing Z06 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 04:03 PM
gonzala
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by -Eric-
I guess if the solution is: supercharger lid and secondary cooler sold to me at GM cost + I pay the install, then I might be happy with that. That's better than just leaving 15 and 16 owners out in the cold on their own. You're never going to get a perfect solution, but this sounds better than no solution. All I really want is help in making the car capable of running on the track in hot weather for more than a couple of laps without going into limp mode. (very embarrassing BTW)

P.S. A calibration for high octane at the track would be bitchin too!
I totally agree!!
Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

While some of you guys may wet your pants with glee thinking you are going to get your 2015 and 2016 cars upgraded for free you really have to do a reality check. The bean counters do not report to Tadge and any comments he makes are really just comments. Sure he may like to offer upgrades to previous owners but this opens a door to future improvements as well. Those of you that are hard core track guys that can prove you have cooling problems will probably be in line for something but if you are just a street car driver your enthusiasm may be short lived.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:11 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

To be honest, I'm almost more excited about a "race calibration" for the computer. I drag race and haven't had any issues with limp home mode but she def starts to get hot after 3 passes. I ran 5 gal of 100 octane yesterday at the track and ran my best times ever. Some extra timing with a GM tune would be really cool!! Love this damn car.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
I believe the final numbers will reveal some surprising stats. Certainly the ratio of ZO6 vs Stingrays are much higher than Team Corvette ever expected.

As of April 22nd, Chevrolet has produced 37,048 Corvettes for 2016 and the final count when production ends in June will be somewhere between 38,000-40,000 according to Harlan. That will eclipse the 37,288 that Chevrolet sold in model year 2014 and it may end up being one of the highest production model years in the modern history of the Corvette.

The breakdown in production numbers between the Corvette Stingray and Z06 is 65% (24,007) Stingrays produced vs 35% (13041) Z06s and the breakdown among body styles is 80% coupes and 20% convertibles. For Stingray buyers, 81% are opting for the 8-speed automatic transmission while 71% of Z06 buyers are checking that box.
Production and sales are two different things. They can produce a million corvettes but if they sell less than 30,000 it is meaningless.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...orvette-sales/

Sales are down over 20% this year - hence the enormous sales discounts occurring presently. No one was getting these kind of discounts in model year 3 of the C5 or C6 - that's a fact.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Are you really glad he enjoys his car?
Alternate reality? Sounds like more sour grapes from the want-to-be crowd that visits here periodically . We know the C7 and C7 Z06 are the best Corvette's yet!
I am glad. It's perfect and there was nothing wrong with 2015 and 2016 Z06s. Best Corvettes ever... hell best car ever. Don't listen to the haters and jealous trolls - 99% never overheat - they are prefect and so good with no problems that 100% of 2017s are getting improved and modified cooling solutions.

It's cheerleaders like this that probably kept the overheating solution off the table for as long as it took GM to own up to it. No reason they couldn't have implemented them at the start or for for the 2016 model year - except overwhleming denial from fanbois. Sales dip and enough bad press and voila - changes to the upcoming year with retroactive upgrades for previous "perfect" model years. You know for the imaginary problem that doesn't exist.
The following 7 users liked this post by Hirohawa:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-29-2016), b4i4getit (08-28-2016), FSTFRC (08-29-2016), JoesC5 (08-28-2016), johnglenntwo (08-28-2016), sam90lx (08-28-2016), Xanthophyll (08-29-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Well, we can agree it will be regulated somehow! ;)

Originally Posted by ktoonsez
Well I hit limp mode many times last season so if they do store that its in there for sure. The only way you will see them go that route is if they are going to do the whole thing for free, which is just not going to happen unless Obama-care stands for corvette-care . I watched it again and it sounds like its going to be what I had said earlier with you bringing them your old parts and then they give you the new (from what he, said fully assembled). Only time will tell, they need to start building 2017 first though, lol, then a few months after that I'm sure we will here what the deal will be
It's certainly hard to get behind a giveaway concept.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,161 Likes on 533 Posts

Amazing that they did a giveaway for the cts v guys then. There was a tsb for a blower rattle that caused no other issues and people blowers were replaced under warentee. Amazing I know.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:12 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
Amazing that they did a giveaway for the cts v guys then. There was a tsb for a blower rattle that caused no other issues and people blowers were replaced under warentee. Amazing I know.
To be fair it did cause an issue. They issued the TSB once they found shaft debris from the isolator rubbing caused seal failures in the blower. That being said, overheating is plenty of an issue as well.

Last edited by spearfish25; 08-28-2016 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deerfeeder (08-29-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM
ktoonsez
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
It's certainly hard to get behind a giveaway concept.

Yes I agree I do not see any kind of give away happening at all, as I had said in my first post I believe they will give us a "discount" of sorts on the parts and thats about it, it would be to expensive to replace up to thousands of these parts on there dime completely.

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
I bet you a thousand dollars the AUTOS still overheat at the track within 15 minutes.Any bets??????
Originally Posted by thebishman
Depends on who's driving, but for many owners I'm sure you're correct.
Bish
Most definetely agree here on "who's driving". I will for sure be in the group of people still overheating but hopefully a little closer to a solution that an expansion tank and bigger radiator could cure and using pure water and some water wetter, something allong those lines. Rather than having to go the 9,000 aftermarket cooling route with body modification

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-29-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

So is is worth the savings to jump on a remaining 2016 and chip in for the new goodies at some point or buy a 2017 at sticker.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzala
Here is my personal example of GM and local Dealer stepping up to keep me a happy customer... and how this forum is monitored by the good folks at GM. I had a 2008 C6 with a transparent roof. Over some time, it started to get spider cracks in the roof. There was a thread about it in this C6 Forum and some GM service reps were on the forum monitoring this issue. Well, those of us that had the issue were able to correspond with the GM service team and we agreed to get a new transparent roof at the dealer for $400. Yes, it was not free but considering they go for $1200 plus and I had it for several years on my car, I thought that was a very fair solution. I am sure others here over the years have had similar success stories.. and some not so successful.
:
Had a similar resolution from GM a few years back. We sat and talked about my car's issue with the dealer being part of the conversation. The net result was GM steeply subsidized cost of the part to me, dealer taking a small haircut on their labor rate. This on a car that was well out of warranty. We all behaved well and took care of an issue fairly.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
To that guy. I apologize. I thought something was better than nothing. Wasn't expecting that to happen for sure. I taped a bunch from the stands of the information session but too much back talk so I didn't post it.
No need to apologize to that d_ck. Its personalties (or the lack thereof) which gives corvette owners a bad reputation.

Thanks for your effort. Its truly appreciated!
The following 2 users liked this post by RACE U:
deerfeeder (08-29-2016), Tonygxp (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:16 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

if it is just the cover and hood blanket swap I will do it myself if they give me the parts.no big deal,have already taken the cover off to clean out the oil.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Guys, let's get back on topic. We can't all shoot with pro equipment. I know what you're all trying to get to. But in this instance, I think we are lucky to get the video we have.

Thanks for getting back on topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
Hemi Dave (08-29-2016), Tonygxp (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by ktoonsez
Most definetely agree here on "who's driving". I will for sure be in the group of people still overheating but hopefully a little closer to a solution that an expansion tank and bigger radiator could cure and using pure water and some water wetter, something allong those lines. Rather than having to go the 9,000 aftermarket cooling route with body modification
i know of at least one Z06 A8 that this did not help. Customer of my friend's shop. I delivered the car with him. That was when I decided I NEEDED a C7Z lol...

it Had LT's coated in and out, big radiator, tank and a few other things only gained him a couple laps.

So the Lid fix will be up for a good challenge in the A8's..

Originally Posted by lordofwar
if it is just the cover and hood blanket swap I will do it myself if they give me the parts.no big deal,have already taken the cover off to clean out the oil.
See Callaway's approach. using the BIG 2300 and it protruding through the hood (which Tadge explained isn't possible with today's pedestrian/injury standards). But it makes you wonder if they're cars would run cooler with the extra cooling effect in conjunction with the larger displacement blower working more efficiently.

My friend noticed the smaller blower's issues early on, he called it and i'm sure plenty others with automotive tech backgrounds have as well.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-29-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 AM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

See Callaway's approach. using the BIG 2300 and it protruding through the hood
My friend noticed the smaller blower's issues early on, he called it and i'm sure plenty others with automotive tech backgrounds have as well.
Yet, stupid people continue to add TVS1900 superchargers to their cars today,
while the larger/superior TVS2300 is available for a few dollars more. What morons.

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
It's cheerleaders like this that probably kept the overheating solution off the table for as long as it took GM to own up to it. No reason they couldn't have implemented them at the start or for for the 2016 model year - except overwhleming denial from fanbois. Sales dip and enough bad press and voila - changes to the upcoming year with retroactive upgrades for previous "perfect" model years. You know for the imaginary problem that doesn't exist.
BINGO!!!!
An ongoing problem on forums until almighty GM changes their public statements, and then the fan bois change their position in lock step with their god GM, but never apologize to posters who they've been harassing who've been sounding the warnings for years.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 08-29-2016 at 12:30 AM.
deerfeeder (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I hope the "tilted" bricks, etc. really work (especially for the > 70% of Z06 owners who have A8s) so we can put this stuff behind us and can start talking about other things...

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-29-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Bad Dad (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:57 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Production and sales are two different things. They can produce a million corvettes but if they sell less than 30,000 it is meaningless.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...orvette-sales/

Sales are down over 20% this year - hence the enormous sales discounts occurring presently. No one was getting these kind of discounts in model year 3 of the C5 or C6 - that's a fact.

I am glad. It's perfect and there was nothing wrong with 2015 and 2016 Z06s. Best Corvettes ever... hell best car ever. Don't listen to the haters and jealous trolls - 99% never overheat - they are prefect and so good with no problems that 100% of 2017s are getting improved and modified cooling solutions.

Same mundane crap. Skip Skip Skip. Hilarious.

Sales are finally dropping off going into 4th year production and yet still selling 20+ thousand more Vettes than Porsche do 911s in the USA and all you can do is point the finger? Im not sure if you grew up under a rock but most cars drop off in sales going into 4th year production. Do have any idea how many C7s have sold since launch? Its been sales success for GM... Period. Im sure SRT wished they could say the same. And if there are good discounts to be had this late in the year to move stock for the new 17s then thats great news to anyone that wants a 16. Simple.

Also GM offering a solution for track day owners is better late than never. Or is damned if you do damned if you dont in your books.

Last edited by GP1224; 08-29-2016 at 06:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GP1224:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-29-2016), Lavender (08-29-2016), tail_lights (08-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Tadge speaking to us at Carlisle-IC changes and help for existing Z06 owners!

Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

See Callaway's approach. using the BIG 2300 and it protruding through the hood (which Tadge explained isn't possible with today's pedestrian/injury standards). But it makes you wonder if they're cars would run cooler with the extra cooling effect in conjunction with the larger displacement blower working more efficiently.

That is a European regulation, not a USA regulation. Even then, there is a loophole in that the hood deflection regulation doesn't apply to low volume imports(For the 2016 MY, GM exported 398 Stingrays and 564 Z06's to Europe).

AS for the BIG 2300 that Callaway uses, the TALL height is for the design of the intercooler that Callaway uses. It has three bricks with one in the center, directly above the outlet port of the supercharger's rotors.

It's not the larger diameter(~1/2") of the 2300 that's is the problem(both Edelbrock and Magnuson offers 2300 superchargers that fit completely under the stock C7 hood), it's the design of the intercooler on the Callaway that makes it so tall, that they have to cut a hole in the hood.

Originally Posted by spearfish25
So one really needs a whole new supercharger manifold just to angle the bricks? It would be nice if a couple of shims in the back of the bricks along with the new lid was all that's needed.

Two problems with "just adding shims in the back of the bricks".

One is that the bricks have to be designed so that no air can pass around the brick, instead of passing through it. The current design has the bricks bolted tight against a machined surface in the cast aluminum supercharger housing(manifold).

Second is that at the front of the bricks are two tubes(with O-rings) that carry the coolant through the bricks. Tilting the rear of the bricks upward, means the tubes will not align with the ports in the coolant crossover at the front of the supercharger.

Thus, there are other design changes that have to be made vs "just adding shims in the back of the bricks".

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-29-2016 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon).
Old 08-29-2016, 06:28 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by GP1224
Same mundane useless crap. Hilarious.

Sales are finally dropping off going into 4th year production and yet still selling 20+ thousand more Vettes than Porsche do 911s in the USA and all you can do is point the finger? Im not sure if you grew up under a rock but most cars drop off in sales going into 4th year production. Do have any idea how many C7s have sold since launch? Its been sales success for GM... Period. Im sure SRT wished they could say the same. And if there are good discounts to be had this late in the year to move stock for the new 17s then thats great news to anyone that wants a 16. Simple.

Also GM offering a solution for track day owners is better late than never. Or is damned if you do damned if you dont in your books. G
GP, go back and read some of it's crap from when the C7 was introduced if you want a good laugh. From my perspective, ten years on the forum or not, said person has reached troll status in my book.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeyTX:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-29-2016), Lavender (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:56 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
GP, go back and read some of it's crap from when the C7 was introduced if you want a good laugh. From my perspective, ten years on the forum or not, said person has reached troll status in my book.
Yep. Crazy that someone can be so consumed and angry over a car. Nothing new to see here - just copy and paste comment after comment. Same crap said 2 yrs ago.

Last edited by GP1224; 08-29-2016 at 06:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GP1224:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-29-2016), Lavender (08-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Tadge speaking to us at Carlisle-IC changes and help for existing Z06 owners!