C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MGW install problem - gearstick collar stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 03:14 AM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default MGW install problem - gearstick collar stuck?

To take care of some issues with sloppy gear feel at the track, I've ordered the MGW shifter - however, straight away I have a problem with the instructions - when turning and droppping the gearstick collar, the gearstick boot came free of the collar.

The collar doesn't want to rotate and resists vertical travel as well - has anyone had this issue before? I am not particularly eager to jam a flathead in there and see if that loosens it.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:33 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

If you have a large set of channel lock pliers, wrap a rag around the collar and try twisting with the pliers. Mine was really tight as well
Old 09-02-2016, 03:37 AM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
If you have a large set of channel lock pliers, wrap a rag around the collar and try twisting with the pliers. Mine was really tight as well
Found a dirty old monkey wrench and got it going on this advice - cheers! Hope I can get this o-ring rubber band re-assembled on replacement in a few.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:51 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

There's a trick to lift up on it gently while turning. Takes very little force and can be done with two fingers.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
There's a trick to lift up on it gently while turning. Takes very little force and can be done with two fingers.
Thanks for the advice - I will be doing mine this weekend!!
Dan
Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Same problem when I installed mine. It was seized. Had to put channel locks on it to remove, bitched-up the collar and it came off the boot. The good news is that you can get a replacement boot for like $55 from the discount outfits online! Not to worry.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Just about to finish putting everything together but noticed a bit of an irregularity - the MGW shifters in ordering pictures and the tutorials all have the gear **** rod mount offset 45 degrees and down - mine is instead vertically aligned with no offset. Is anyone else's like that? I think it might be possible to change the position with some disassembly but if it's not necessary I won't bother.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:17 AM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by slobbergoat
Just about to finish putting everything together but noticed a bit of an irregularity - the MGW shifters in ordering pictures and the tutorials all have the gear **** rod mount offset 45 degrees and down - mine is instead vertically aligned with no offset. Is anyone else's like that? I think it might be possible to change the position with some disassembly but if it's not necessary I won't bother.
Just received mine and it is also vertically aligned v the 45-degree offset. I'm installing this weekend and will report any issues.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM
slobbergoat
Advanced

Originally Posted by ryryokeefe
Just received mine and it is also vertically aligned v the 45-degree offset. I'm installing this weekend and will report any issues.
Good to know - I will see how mine goes as well.

One more thing - I've had to keep the centre console panel attached to the electrics (I had hung a bungee cord from the roof to keep it out of the way) - unlike in the video, the two major electric plugs have plastic ladder plugs locating them, which definitely aren't going to wiggle out. Is there any danger in just cutting the ladder plugs off? It doesn't seem like the cables would have any way of working their way into unwanted areas - I could ziptie them if necessary.

The reason I am looking to do this now is that some of the mounting plate shims are apparently made of iron and weren't properly galvanized in the factory - they have a dusting of rust which I would like to scrape off and hit with some rust killer. But this won't be very doable with the console still in the way.

Last edited by slobbergoat; 09-02-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW install problem - gearstick collar stuck?

Quick Reply: MGW install problem - gearstick collar stuck?