C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dead mouse found in my cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:12 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Dead mouse found in my cabin filter

Yesterday while driving home from work I had this putrid () smell all of a sudden. Thought for a nano second that it may be a fluid leak smell but quickly realized it had to be a dead mouse. WTF, yes.....WTF. Brand new Z and now this bs.

Well, this morning the smell obviously didn't get any better so I immediately went to my dealer and of course they found this fat fukermother inside the cabin air filter. After removing and replacing the filter, luckily the blower motor was clear, they sprayed some GM odor remover stuff inside the system and told me to run the AC for a while. My question to those of you who may of had this problem with your Z or any of your vehicles, one, will this smell ever completely go away, and two, would the " bounce dryer sheets " help to prevent future incidents?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Apparenty its a grim mixture of sulfur dioxides and methane gas, among other things. If they cleaned everything, plastic isn't very porous so I'm surprised you'd have much lingering in the HVAC system.

Do you have any idea where you were parked when it entered? They follow each other's trails so before the next ones get in there you may want to put out traps or poison (safely, with bait stations or whatever is appropriate to the situation) so you don't have a mouse party long term in your car!

You could look at "odor barrier" bags like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/BaseCamp-F2...words=odor+bag

or

https://smile.amazon.com/Earth-Care-...words=odor+bag

Last edited by davepl; 09-24-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I've had this happen twice, but in other cars. In each case the mouse was killed when the fan motor was activated and I could hear the critter tumbling in the motor assembly. I got to them before the carcass began to decay. Best prevention is to use traps or poison. If they are getting in your garage, try to discover how, and then make the repair to keep them out.

They like to nest in my tractor engine compartment, so I keep a mouse trap set under the hood. I doubt you will need to go to this extreme with your car.

Last edited by Wass; 09-24-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Corvette Bubs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen in my Sierra 1500. Dead baby mice in the cabin filter. Replaced filter and spayed all kinds of stuff in there. I swear I can still smell it sometimes, I don't know if its just me. lol
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Apparenty its a grim mixture of sulfur dioxides and methane gas, among other things. If they cleaned everything, plastic isn't very porous so I'm surprised you'd have much lingering in the HVAC system.
Do you have any idea where you were parked when it entered? They follow each other's trails so before the next ones get in there you may want to put out traps or poison (safely, with bait stations or whatever is appropriate to the situation) so you don't have a mouse party long term in your car!

To all, thanks for your inputs.

Dave, that statement (Bold) reminds me of the Prius scene with "Dirty Mike and the boys " in the movie "Good Guys" with Will Ferrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drENhsxhX_Q

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-24-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Box
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Two years ago I had an issue with my 2006 GMC Sierra diesel where the engine started and ran normally but wouldn't shut off with the key. I traced the problem to where mice had urinated inside the UBEC (underhood bused electrical center aka the fuse box) and created a conductive path between the switched and always hot 12 volt buses. Since then I have kept an array of traps and poison in both garages. For anyone in a rural agricultural area this is the worst time of year because harvesting activities drive the little rodents out of the fields in search of safe spaces.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Best thing is to make the mice not want to come anywhere around your cars.

Pick up some peppermint oil at Walmart and liberally apply it around your garage door(and any other place mice might be entering your garage) and around your cars on the garage floor. Apply some on the tires.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-24-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM
USMCVader
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Earlier this year I had mice get into two of our cars that are outside...where they proceeded to do much damage. About $2500 later, both vehicles were fixed, and I declared war. Have traps all over outside our house, have killed about 70 mice, and a couple other critters too. Not sure about our Vettes but other cars have some kind of soy product in the wiring, which seems like candy for mice. (I live in a forest so the best I expect I will do is keep them down a bit. Goal is to keep them out of the garage, so far seems to be working.). Safe to say I feel your pain.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Had this happen in my Jeep GC SRT a few months ago...and dealer found it. Also had it happen in my 3500 DRW a few years ago as well...
Old 09-24-2016, 08:43 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Well, that stinks!

I suspect that some further maintenance will be required to completely eliminate the smell. I recently has dog puke on an area rug and could not eliminate the smell. I used all kinds of deodorizers and carpet shampoos/cleaners. As a last resort, right before I was going to throw it away, I used Febreze spray and it actually work! GL.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:37 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Mice love to chew on rubber (wiring)! Better get a cat to lock in the garage-TEE HEE!

Get notified of new replies

To Dead mouse found in my cabin filter

Quick Reply: Dead mouse found in my cabin filter