C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First trip to the strip

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Frank Tamez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rectifyer2000
I'll wait for cooler weather, lose some tire pressure, do a more aggressive burnout and hope for better results. I did use Track mode and Race setting on one run, but used Launch Control. Terrible 60' and I got sideways in 2nd and had to lift but I'll try it again without the Launch Control. Thanks!
Just curious. What track are you running at?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I wouldn't stress too much about your times as I was there too (in the black 2007) and the tracked sucked as I spun on all 6 of my passes even with brand new 335/35/17 drag radials.

I'm not going out this week but probably will the following (weather permitting) and if you can get there early enough I have a set of drag radials that I run on my 2015 Z06 which you're welcome to borrow.
I'm trying not to dwell on it but I'm hell bent to get back and improve. What a great offer. I was planning on going next week so it would be a great experiment!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm trying not to dwell on it but I'm hell bent to get back and improve. What a great offer. I was planning on going next week so it would be a great experiment!
I'll send you a PM with my contact info so we can touch base a few days beforehand.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Frank Tamez
Intermediate

Sorry. Just looked again at your time slip.

Just my opinion... Been down the track a few times in all kinds of cars so take these opinions for what they are... Just my opinion

MPH tells you how much power your making. It changes very little with a good, bad or great 60 foot time.

60 foot time tells how well the driver and car are working and affects the 60 foot time which affects the 1320 time big time.

Always look at mile per hour to gauge improvements in the care... Always look at 60 foot times to see improvements in the car and driver.

My opinion... Based on a fair bit of experience..... Anybody want to contradict should probably google my name first.

Frank Tamez
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Frank Tamez

Just my opinion... Been down the track a few times in all kinds of cars so take these opinions for what they are... Just my opinion

MPH tells you how much power your making. It changes very little with a good, bad or great 60 foot time.

60 foot time tells how well the driver and car are working and affects the 60 foot time which affects the 1320 time big time.

Always look at mile per hour to gauge improvements in the care... Always look at 60 foot times to see improvements in the car and driver.

My opinion... Based on a fair bit of experience..... Anybody want to contradict should probably google my name first.

Frank Tamez
Some valid points, except...

I was there at the same time as him - he spun on pretty much every pass so you can't really extract any useful information from his timeslips.

As for what I disagree with, the 60ft times have nothing whatsoever to do with the driver since the car's an automatic and it literally is a case of "hop in, stab the gas and hold on". As long as the car hooks properly there's nothing the driver can do to affect the 60ft, positively or negatively.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Some valid points, except...

I was there at the same time as him - he spun on pretty much every pass so you can't really extract any useful information from his timeslips.

As for what I disagree with, the 60ft times have nothing whatsoever to do with the driver since the car's an automatic and it literally is a case of "hop in, stab the gas and hold on". As long as the car hooks properly there's nothing the driver can do to affect the 60ft, positively or negatively.
Your statement ASSUMES that as long as the car hooks properly there is nothing much else for the driver of an A8 Z to do; however, you and the OP have made it clear that the cars were not hooking well at all, in fact they were spinning the tires all over the place, so then properly smoking the heck out of the the stock tires or your drag radials is going to be of extreme importance here. Let's face it, not everybody including the OP (who is new to this) is going to know how to do that big smokey burnout b/f his trip down the 1,320. That's the BIG challenge here at this track you guys are running into even with your drag radials, getting the car to hook, SO he is going to have to LEARN how to do a big smokey burnout at least 5 seconds in the upper rpm band. Not that easy if you have no experience and then he has to figure out does he that burnout by sticking the car in drive in the mode that he is going to race in or putting it into manual mode in first gears to get the rpms up to near 6,500 to get that burnout. So getting the car to HOOK is the biggest challenge here and with most cars making big power like our C7 Zs, so you don't want to ASSUME he or your or I, are going to hook (at this same track next week)! BUT, he and anybody else will need experience how to launch their A8 car to in fact HOOK, in order to achieve an excellent 60 foot time and therefore also get a good elapsed time (E/T). Even with your drag radials he or you (or me) are going to need to do a nice big smokey burnout to get enuff heat into those drag radials to get the car to dead hook (b/c any drag racer knows its all about the 60 foot time to get a good E/T.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-03-2016 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UBNZO6D (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Frank Tamez
This is what I always understood but I wasn't sure how much traction played a part in trap speed. It will obviously slow it down some, I'm hoping by about 8-10 mph in my case because this car should be getting to 130....or so I thought!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Your statement ASSUMES that as long as the car hooks properly there is nothing much else for the driver of an A8 Z to do; however, you and the OP have made it clear that the cars were not hooking well at all, in fact they were spinning the tires all over the place, so then properly smoking the heck out of the the stock tires or your drag radials is going to be of extreme importance here. Let's face it, not everybody including the OP (who is new to this) is going to know how to do that big smokey burnout b/f his trip down the 1,320. That's the BIG challenge here at this track you guys are running into even with your drag radials, getting the car to hook, SO he is going to have to LEARN how to do a big smokey burnout at least 5 seconds in the upper rpm band. Not that easy if you have no experience and then he has to figure out does he that burnout by sticking the car in drive in the mode that he is going to race in or putting it into manual mode in first gears to get the rpms up to near 6,500 to get that burnout. So getting the car to HOOK is the biggest challenge here and with most cars making big power so you don't want to ASSUME he is or our are going to hook! BUT, he and anybody else will need experience how to launch their A8 car to in fact HOOK to achieve an excellent 60 foot time and therefore get a good elapsed time (E/T) also. Even with your drag radials he or your is going to need to a nice big smokey burnout to get enuff heat into those drag radials to get the car to dead hook.
In a stock (or mostly stock) A8 Z06 a big smoky burnout isn't really needed as the car just doesn't leave that hard.

Although I usually do a long enough one to see smoke (mostly out of habit), I've made a few passes without doing a burnout at all and my 60 ft times and ET were pretty much unchanged.

One time was when I didn't have the proper driving mode selected so as soon as the steering wheel turned even a little during the burnout the engine cut power. One or two other times I forgot to turn TC off and in both cases the car hooked just fine.

The even bigger head scratcher was the very first time I took the car to the track.

I got the tires good and hot, launched it at just over 2200RPM AND was moderately impressed with the 1.602 I ended up with. That enjoyment ended quickly after that as another guy there with his stock 2015 A8 Z06 had a 1.604 60ft launching off idle on street tires and no burnout whatsoever.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Frank Tamez
Intermediate

He needs some seat time to figure out what the car wants.

My first time down the track a couple weeks ago with my new 16 Z06 A8 didn't go great.

I had the MPH because I added 16 ounces of Torco to a full tank of gas

Filled the tank because I believed the extra weight over the rear would help me more than it would hurt.

Launched the car off idle in track mode with traction control off... Result was it spun hard about 3 feet out. I pedaled it by feathering the throttle and then rolled back into it.... Result

1.74 60
11.02@127.98

Next pass I put the car in Sport and TC off. Left at 2000 and rolled into the throttle......... Result

1.65 60
10.89@128.07

I posted this one here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-video-13.html

Notice the MPH difference. Less than 1 tenth of a MPH.

The car is at Keisen Speed in Kennewick Wa getting massaged as we speak. Hoping for 1.50s and 10.00s without headers when its done. Better tires of course.

The track was very good but I could have easily blown the tires of if I just stabbed the throttle..... Practice and seat time... That's all it takes.
He will improve if he tries different techniques and learns from the results. I only took about 2000 or so laps down the strip to be a c--t hair better than a novice . Just takes seat time.

Frank
Old 10-03-2016, 08:46 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Frank Tamez
Are you this Frank Tamez?

http://m.openjurist.org/941/f2d/770/...states-v-tamez
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Frank Tamez
Intermediate

Lol. Yep
Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm gonna go out a limb here and say he probably didn't mean that page.

Greg
Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Originally Posted by UBNZO6D
I'm gonna go out a limb here and say he probably didn't mean that page.

Greg
You mean you're not this Frank Tamez? This is more confusing than figuring out a proper launch setting....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...-makes-history
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Frank Tamez
Intermediate

Both me.

I'm not ashamed of my past.

The drag racing part is me.

The federal conviction almost 30 years ago is me.

Read both and make up your own mind.

You don't want drag racing advise? Is that it?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:43 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Both me.

I like that your honest. Not many people are these days. What matters is that you've changed and you're much more successful in something that is legal (and probably safer)
Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Both me.

We've all got skeletons - as long as you're also the drag racer, I'm listening. I'll listen to advice from anyone who knows more than me - to do otherwise would be arrogant, making me ignorant.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Good advice from the Subfloor for sure will be coming he is well respected here and has been around Corvette's a long time doing 9's in a C6 he tossed a stock ls7 in.
He knows his way around the track as well!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:40 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Good advice from the Subfloor for sure will be coming he is well respected here and has been around Corvette's a long time doing 9's in a C6 he tossed a stock ls7 in.
He knows his way around the track as well!
Oh he's legit, and helpful for sure! Also turns out to be a neighbor - who knew?

I've been on this forum a long time and it never fails to be helpful for dumba$$es like me. There's a ton of knowledgeable and experienced guys, willing to help out.

Quick Reply: First trip to the strip