C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Heater core replacement

My Z06 is in the shop. It has a leaking heater core.
Anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Saw one being replaced its a bear top supercharger removed and dash.
Wasn't a pretty sight I would not want my car tore that far apart unless it was a real good self conscious tech.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

On my previous 14' Z51 3LT I began getting odor in cabin. Dealer had to remove dash to get heater core out & it did have a very tiny pin hole leak causing the smell. Was nervous about the dash but what ya gonna do?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

yeah, in my 74! Good luck.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 AM
09CyberGrey
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
My Z06 is in the shop. It has a leaking heater core.
Anyone else experienced this?
What year is your Z and how many miles?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the leak was caught early. If your carpet got damp you might need to be concerned about long term smell issues. As far as tearing the dash apart they are made to come apart and the dealerhsip has the tools to do the job. Other than space differences it isn't any different than doing the same repair on any other GM car.

Bill
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

My one suggestion would be to be very diligent about checking for squeaks and rattles when the work is done, since it is an invasive repair and I think a lot of the dash comes apart. Because the "squeak and rattle" warranty is only good for one year, you need to report any new problems related to the repair promptly.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:23 PM
bub
Safety Car

Update: The dealer has had the car for a week now and has the heater core on order. The Service Advisor told me that they have consulted with the GM TAC (Technical Advisory Center) - check it out on a Google search for GM TAC - for consulation with the repair.

Dealer is a Hendrick dealership, so that gives me some piece of mind that it will be done right, or that if I experience any squeaks and rattles after the fact, they will make it right.

Told them to take their sweet time (they gave me a loner not that I needed one, but I have put 500 miles on that Impala in a week!) and let them know that I appreciated them getting GM TAC involved.

I believe that I caught it very early as I barely smelled it on a Saturday during the first real Fall drive with the heater even on, and scheduled the car on the following Monday with little driving in between - just basically enough heater core running time to demonstrate the issue to the Dealer Service Advisor.

My car is a 2015 Z06 (VIN ending in 1515 (December 2014 build). 5,050 miles.

Last edited by bub; 11-12-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:29 PM
bub
Safety Car

I got my Z06 back Friday the 11th, and the problem appears to be fixed. While it was in, I also had the dealer do the air bag SW recall, PDR SW update, top latch/pin TSB, and courtesy service oil change...

The entire dash, seats and center console had to come out. The intercooler on the supercharger did not (as someone above had mentioned). The dealership replaced some parts during re-assembly that they broke going in.

Test drive showed no obvious squeaks and rattles, but there is an area of the dash that rattles a bit when you tap on it, so I will have dealer re-look at that area and replace some minor blemished items I noticed after a thorough inspection today.

All in all, the process was slow, taking 4 weeks start to finish (likely due to all the replacement parts they ordered). They are mailing me the service ticket for my records , but I suspect if this was not done under warranty it would run into the thousands of $.

Suggest that anyone who suspects this may be an issue with their car get it taken care of before warranty expires.

Last edited by bub; 11-12-2016 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (11-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 10:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
I got my Z06 back Friday the 11th, and the problem appears to be fixed. While it was in, I also had the dealer do the air bag SW recall, PDR SW update, top latch/pin TSB, and courtesy service oil change...

The entire dash, seats and center console had to come out. The intercooler on the supercharger did not (as someone above had mentioned). The dealership replaced some parts during re-assembly that they broke going in.

Test drive showed no obvious squeaks and rattles, but there is an area of the dash that rattles a bit when you tap on it, so I will have dealer re-look at that area and replace some minor blemished items I noticed after a thorough inspection today.

All in all, the process was slow, taking 4 weeks start to finish (likely due to all the replacement parts they ordered). They are mailing me the service ticket for my records , but I suspect if this was not done under warranty it would run into the thousands of $.

Suggest that anyone who suspects this may be an issue with their car get it taken care of before warranty expires.
jeez. glad it turned out OK for you.

squeak probably a broken clip or misaligned fastener etc?

Tough that with all the little tech pieces etc causing issues in new cars nowadays the old "heater core" rears its ugly head

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 11-12-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:04 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's one job I don't envy! Mine has been gurgling at startup. Anyone know if there's a bleed procedure for it?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Wasn't a pretty sight I would not want my car tore that far apart unless it was a real good self conscious tech.
z51vett
Doug
Its always ugly and traumatic to see your baby in that stage of repair. Better not to look....lol

Clif
Old 11-17-2016, 04:54 PM
bub
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
jeez. glad it turned out OK for you.

squeak probably a broken clip or misaligned fastener etc?

Tough that with all the little tech pieces etc causing issues in new cars nowadays the old "heater core" rears its ugly head
The rattle was coming from the dreaded center vent. Easy fix, vs. going "back in"....
Old 11-17-2016, 04:56 PM
bub
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MindBend
That's one job I don't envy! Mine has been gurgling at startup. Anyone know if there's a bleed procedure for it?
Noticed this same gurgling after the repair.

Assume the air will eventually work itself out as the core has a natural high point to it from what it looks like per the online parts manual...
Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM
bub
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z51vett
z51vett
Doug
After studying my service ticket, I can now confirm that yes, the supercharger did have to be removed to access the core connections at the firewall.

That said, repair turned out fine, short of having them replace a door sill trim plate that apparently got scratched when the seats came out to take out the dash...

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core replacement

Quick Reply: Heater core replacement