C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Finally talked to a Mobil 1 oil engineer

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas g.
Another point the engineer said was about oil viscosity. 15-50 hits its high number at around 200 degrees oil temp. It doesn't get any thicker as oil temps climb. Conversely, oil temps below 200 the viscosity is proportionally less. It's a sliding scale. Oil is only as thick as it needs to be. Temp related
Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
I too want some info around effects of these temps? Where can this be found? What are max temps recommended for track use? What temp does this oil break down and need replacing? One track session w 280-300 temps?
Would 0-40w be better for these higher track temps?
PLEASE help.
Here's a viscosity calculator for oil at a given temp:

http://www.viscopedia.com/calculator...extrapolation/

I know one of the well respected Porsche race mechanics who is a part of their 24 hour endurance race programs. He said earlier on they were noticing many cars would go "almost" the distance and just before the end, blow up engines. This was obviously very frustrating for them after all the efforts. However after they increased the levels of ph/zn in the oil, engines performed a lot more reliably through the entire 24 hours.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry, but 0W-40 M1 is superior to 5W-30 in every way and this has been well established in other threads on other sites through oil analysis. The only thing about 0W-40 is that it starts to shear back thinner some when run for much higher mileage intervals. So long as you are changing every 6k or less no reason not to run 0W-40. For longer change intervals in warmer climates 10W-30 is just barely thicker than the 5W-30 and is also a better choice the 5W-30. GM has to allow for the customers running cars in some very cold climates when they make blanket recommendations.

I run high mileage 10W40 in my 14' CTS-V, but it has a 416 stroker fully modded at 15psi so it consumes thinner grades too fast under higher boost.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:26 PM
gnharley
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil & Truth

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Well I heard from a GM engineer and great friend yesterday that after GM completely converts the Corvette to mid-engine, the following generation will go back to front engine with round tail lights.
Also Spherical Chrome Muffler Bearings , I'm told........
Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Options to Mobil 1 0w-40

Originally Posted by djnice
If you are going to beat this horse do you also want to consider other brands of oil have better additive packages, and deal with high temperature better?
At the Mobil 1 0w-40 price point, knock yourself out. Is available at my local Walmart for just over $5.00 a quart. I am listening!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Sorry, but 0W-40 M1 is superior to 5W-30 in every way and this has been well established in other threads on other sites through oil analysis. The only thing about 0W-40 is that it starts to shear back thinner some when run for much higher mileage intervals. So long as you are changing every 6k or less no reason not to run 0W-40. For longer change intervals in warmer climates 10W-30 is just barely thicker than the 5W-30 and is also a better choice the 5W-30. GM has to allow for the customers running cars in some very cold climates when they make blanket recommendations.

I run high mileage 10W40 in my 14' CTS-V, but it has a 416 stroker fully modded at 15psi so it consumes thinner grades too fast under higher boost.
OK, so I see what you've written above and please forgive me, I'm a little slow with your statement. If 0W40 is so far and away superior to 5W30 in this application (engine, C7 Z06) and with this engine oil weight it shouldn't affect any Federal emissions obligations and with the oil pricing being equal (or close enough)....why hasn't GM Engineering changed the "recommend oil fill" to 0W40? I believe we are talking about a Z06 that is used in the normal, street driving type application....occasionally wrung out on the street, rarely tracked, just normal operation of a 650 HP car (oh boy!). Is your background in automotive engineering or petroleum chemistry/engineering? I'm not setting you up here, I am serious...how can you substantiate the accuracy of your statement? If you can, I'll switch in a heartbeat. I think we should hear what your credentials are, to accept your findings. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:57 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
OK, so I see what you've written above and please forgive me, I'm a little slow with your statement. If 0W40 is so far and away superior to 5W30 in this application (engine, C7 Z06) and with this engine oil weight it shouldn't affect any Federal emissions obligations and with the oil pricing being equal (or close enough)....why hasn't GM Engineering changed the "recommend oil fill" to 0W40? I believe we are talking about a Z06 that is used in the normal, street driving type application....occasionally wrung out on the street, rarely tracked, just normal operation of a 650 HP car (oh boy!). Is your background in automotive engineering or petroleum chemistry/engineering? I'm not setting you up here, I am serious...how can you substantiate the accuracy of your statement? If you can, I'll switch in a heartbeat. I think we should hear what your credentials are, to accept your findings. Thanks!
They don't recommend the 0W-40 because the extra lubricants in the additive package of this particular oil formulation could possibly shorten the life expectancy of the catalytic converters under warranty!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

OK, that makes complete sense if the European Corvettes don't have catalytic converters.... or do they? I live in PA, what the hell do I know about Corvettes shipped to Europe or the Middle East, etc!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Kamran
Pro

Under ask Tadge section, Answered: Changing Oil for Track thread, Tadge said:

"As for the Mobil 1 0W40, it was not available when we validated these engines and, in its currently available formulation, it also contains more phosphorous and ash than we specify. So, even if we validated the 0W40 for track use, we would still have to recommend reverting to a DEXOS 5W30 for daily street use."

Last edited by Kamran; 03-20-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kamran
Under ask Tadge section, Answered: Changing Oil for Track thread, Tadge said:

"As for the Mobil 1 0W40, it was not available when we validated these engines and, in its currently available formulation, it also contains more phosphorous and ash than we specify. So, even if we validated the 0W40 for track use, we would still have to recommend reverting to a DEXOS 5W30 for daily street use."
Kamran, thanks very much for taking a moment and providing this information. For me at least, this really does clear up the discussion. It's been my experience over the last 35 years, if a bottom end failure occurs in an engine during the warranty period, one of the first things the manufacturer wants is to have an oil sample taken and analyzed by a certified lab for oil grade/type and viscosity. If the failure is a "lack of lub" failure (which is a "catch all" comment, whether the engine was low on oil or the oil was the wrong spec to properly lubricate the engine, both considered "lack of lub" failures), warranty will typically be denied. I'd rather stay with the manufacturer's published spec, just to be sure of warranty coverage. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Kamran
Pro

Kamran, thanks very much for taking a moment and providing this information. For me at least, this really does clear up the discussion. It's been my experience over the last 35 years, if a bottom end failure occurs in an engine during the warranty period, one of the first things the manufacturer wants is to have an oil sample taken and analyzed by a certified lab for oil grade/type and viscosity. If the failure is a "lack of lub" failure (which is a "catch all" comment, whether the engine was low on oil or the oil was the wrong spec to properly lubricate the engine, both considered "lack of lub" failures), warranty will typically be denied. I'd rather stay with the manufacturer's published spec, just to be sure of warranty coverage. Thanks!
U'r welcome!
Always stay ahead of game by having your oil tested anywhere between 500-1500 miles for a base line and at next oil change. Thereafter test your oil every couple of oil change. Cost is $30 per oil test and gives you a heads up if things are going south. Also if all ok, you have proof to show GM everything was moving along just dandy!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Great info here:

http://http://www.speedtalk.com/foru...hp?f=1&t=31363
Old 03-24-2017, 02:27 PM
gnharley
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yeah, because we should just take every statement without facts at face value as long as it's negative.
" The Sky is Falling "
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Okay, now let's discuss which windshield washer fluid we should use or which car wash soap is GM approved. Sometimes these discussions just get ridiculous.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I fretted with all these same concerns at the beginning with my 2015 Z06/Z07 and finally decided on the best answer just before doing my first oil change . . . I installed 10W40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD

The highlighted is not true, Mobil 1 5W30 has a viscosity rating of 10.6 cSt at 100°C while Mobil 1 10W30 has a viscosity rating of 10.2 cSt at 100°C. At lower temperatures, Mobil 1 5W30 has a slightly lower viscosity than Mobil 1 10W30 relatively speaking...but you want a lower viscosity at lower temperatures so the oil will flow to the critical engine parts quicker, this makes the 5W30 a better choice than 10W30 while 0W30 would be the best.

As a side note, the dexos1 oil specification does not allow any 10W30 to be approved. This makes consideration of 10W30 a moot point as it would void your warranty.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:43 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you don't get an oil overheating warning and power reduction you don't have to worry. GM knows where the danger point is and will make sure the engine will shut down if the oil gets too hot. They are not looking out for you they are looking out for themselves and want to minimize claims.

So far I have only seen oil temps into the mid 270s which seem to be fine to me. Far better than the 319 degrees I used to see on my C5 Z06 and low enough that the oil overheat light on my 86 wouldn't come on either, even though it ran dyno oil.

My stock C6Z would run 260 oil temp all day long at the track but I am pretty sure that 275 isn't an issue either.

Bill

To our knowledge, the oil temperature sensor for the Z06 stops reading at 311. We have never had any warnings, or shut downs due to oil temp like water temp, trans temp, or blower pump throttle shut down.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Gspeed, what your thoughts on the best oil to run street verse track?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally talked to a Mobil 1 oil engineer

Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Best oil, GM warranty aside? There are several. We like motul 300V due to the base stock, and the detergents it has, keeps everything clean, yet well protected. Redline is a great oil, so is Driven/Gibbs, and Brad penn.

There are several other oils as well, but those are the 4 that come to mind.

Oil choice is just an opinion, when youre dealing with these oils. They are all good, for sure.
The following users liked this post:
djnice (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:38 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Who has had a "moment on track" and went ka~boom? I'm curious as I don't remember seeing any cases of LT4's letting go on track.\.
I did. '15 Z07 7 speed, 1400 miles, stock everything, 5W-20 oil. Sold it in favor of a new ACR for track use.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 04-04-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM
davester
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Probably old news, but instead of paying $9.40 per quart for 15-50 Mobile 1 I ordered on line from Walmart in 5 gal jugs. A little over $25 per jug. This will be the third year of track events on my 2015. It goes in for fluid changes, pads, and short shifter install Friday. Love these cars!

Quick Reply: Finally talked to a Mobil 1 oil engineer