C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Car Duster Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:27 PM
nekoz
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Car Duster Recommendation

Does anyone have any recommendations for a duster?
I remember the California Duster was popular back in the day. But I have heard it also scratches.

Any input?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:01 PM
SterlingDrive
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been driving black cars for 30+ years and have always used CA dusters. I typically sell my daily drivers at around 40k miles with out a scratch or swirl mark on them. Dust lightly and you should not scratch the car.

Dave

Last edited by SterlingDrive; 11-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nekoz (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 06:06 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I've got a $250,000.00 restoration on a black classic car that's 10 years old and has NEVER been washed, only dusted with the California Duster.

I'd be as skeptical as anyone, but they work and they do not scratch. That's about all I can say!
nekoz (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 06:23 PM
nekoz
Instructor

Originally Posted by SterlingDrive
I have been driving black cars for 30+ years and have always used CA dusters. I typically sell my daily drivers at around 40k miles with out a scratch or swirl mark on them. Dust lightly and you should scratch the car.

Dave
Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I've got a $250,000.00 restoration on a black classic car that's 10 years old and has NEVER been washed, only dusted with the California Duster.

I'd be as skeptical as anyone, but they work and they do not scratch. That's about all I can say!
Awesome! Thanks for your input guys!

All this pollen and dust lately is driving me crazy.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:55 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

I've used the same California Duster for 28 years on my toys and it has been excellent.

nekoz (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:40 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I have had my California duster since 1985 and it still works great.no scratches
nekoz (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:44 PM
nekoz
Instructor

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
I've used the same California Duster for 28 years on my toys and it has been excellent.

Originally Posted by lordofwar
I have had my California duster since 1985 and it still works great.no scratches
Thanks guys! I ordered the California duster along with the mini dash duster.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by nekoz
Thanks guys! I ordered the California duster along with the mini dash duster.
make sure you follow the instructions.let it sit on newspaper for the specified time before first time use.only use it on a cold car,not in the sun.go over very lightly,barely touching the car.shake out after use.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

In my opinion the california duster is the worst thing you can do to a finish. Ive used it correctly and have had scratches and swirls. You pick up one grain of sand and your done. I use a duster that works with static electricity and never touches the surface. You should never touch a dry surface anyway . Just my experience

Clif
BOBSZ06 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by z06clif
In my opinion the california duster is the worst thing you can do to a finish. Ive used it correctly and have had scratches and swirls. You pick up one grain of sand and your done. I use a duster that works with static electricity and never touches the surface. You should never touch a dry surface anyway . Just my experience

Clif
How do you explain ALL the above comments and recommendations then?

I've also been using a California duster, for 6 years. with No problems on 2 black Corvettes.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Clif
Originally Posted by randy ransome

I've also been using a California duster, for 6 years. with No problems on 2 black Corvettes.
The same reason people can drive through an automatic car wash and think their car is car show clean. I echo the sentiment about not using a duster to clean your car. You are dragging dust and dirt particles across the paint with zero lubrication. You canm create micro-abrasions in the paint using this method, even using as advised and applying little to zero pressure. Ask any true high-end detailer their opinion and I would estimate 99% say not to use one. This is one of those subjective things because so many people either don't know or don't care. One person may see a clean, shiny black car while someone else sees the halos and micro swirls.

How many of you use or have ever even heard about using a two bucket method of washing your car? I know some people who use a new wash mitt every time they wash their car... It all depends on your level of OCD.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by randy ransome

I would venture to say that location has alot to do with it. . Harsh road conditions leave debris on thr roads year round. This in turn transfers to the cars surface which in turn transfers to the duster. Nothing earth shaking ...just my observation on 2 black Corvettes from 2003 till now. I really only show my car now so detailing is what I do. And the duster is a big no no for me. If you find this not to be true then your lucky. I have had to repaint portions of the car and in my mind the duster is to blame. One good thing is that I gave my CD to my wife and it does work wonders on the furniture...lol good luck

Clif
Old 11-14-2016, 10:20 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fleming23
The same reason people can drive through an automatic car wash and think their car is car show clean. I echo the sentiment about not using a duster to clean your car. You are dragging dust and dirt particles across the paint with zero lubrication. You canm create micro-abrasions in the paint using this method, even using as advised and applying little to zero pressure. Ask any true high-end detailer their opinion and I would estimate 99% say not to use one. This is one of those subjective things because so many people either don't know or don't care. One person may see a clean, shiny black car while someone else sees the halos and micro swirls.

How many of you use or have ever even heard about using a two bucket method of washing your car? I know some people who use a new wash mitt every time they wash their car... It all depends on your level of OCD.
Would that be a 2 bucket system even if you have a screen at the bottom of your bucket that allows your brush or mitt not to touch the debris that falls to the bottom?

Clif
Old 11-14-2016, 11:17 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

I have been using a California Duster for over 20 years.....no problems!!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:36 AM
0Tunerz Store
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Pep Boys has them on sale, 30% OFF. Just ordered one and will pick up later today.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Clif
Your experience does not match mine. I've found the paraben wax picks up, coats, and isolates any debris it does pick up.

That said I use it for dust. If your car has got sand or dirt on it, you need to wash it with water or a waterless cleaner. We're only talking about dusting. But the stray sand particle has never bit me, and I have 5 black cars at the moment.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:59 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts
Default duster

"california duster is the worst thing you can do to a finish". Really??? It's wild *** biased, unsubstaniated remarks like this that reminds folks who come here looking for answers, that so much of the responses are not from "experts" but people with "opinions". Always do your own research before buying in to so many "facts" you find on here. Also a lot of bullying here as on social media. (Mine is coming now I'm sure)-Hee-Hee!

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Car Duster Recommendation

Old 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM
nekoz
Instructor

Originally Posted by lordofwar
make sure you follow the instructions.let it sit on newspaper for the specified time before first time use.only use it on a cold car,not in the sun.go over very lightly,barely touching the car.shake out after use.
I ordered the duster but but since it's not here I can't read the directions yet. What does the newspaper do?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:16 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

If you use a duster to remove garage dust they work great, that is what they were made for, but seen way too many customers wipe their cars down after driving, and the road debris and brake dust can scratch over time
Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've used a California Duster for years and never had any paint problems. The secret is not to press hard.

Quick Reply: Car Duster Recommendation