C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

LT5: If the GM LF3 were 6.2L.... 725hp!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Well, we'll see. The interesting thing about that technology if and when it gets into circulation is that I think the same basic unit could be applied to any engine, with the only real variable to consider would be the weight of the valve. I think that the test engine is a modified Volvo engine. Koenigsegg buys its engines from BMW. I doubt if they plan on substituting four cylinder Volvo engines into their cars. I can't think of any other single advancement that improved engine performance as much as what they are claiming, and with CAFE standards getting to a point where the standards are probably unobtainable with current technology, I think something like this would be a high priority.

I don't quite understand the attitudes about Koenigsegg, though. They are small, but the cars they build are far more advanced than what Chevrolet builds, with the possible area of electronics being the exception.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Koenigsegg buys its engines from BMW.
What engines are you talking about? Their V8s are modified Ford mod motors.

They are small, but the cars they build are far more advanced than what Chevrolet builds, with the possible area of electronics being the exception.
GM could build 5 cars a year with a bunch of new technology if they wanted to but unlike Koenigsegg they are in the business of selling a lot of cars and those cars have to be reliable. Koe****segg is a great salesman, hell he got people thinking that One:1 was the fastest thing on earth without rolling onto a track lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFHay

GM could build 5 cars a year with a bunch of new technology if they wanted to but unlike Koenigsegg they are in the business of selling a lot of cars and those cars have to be reliable. Koe****segg is a great salesman, hell he got people thinking that One:1 was the fastest thing on earth without rolling onto a track lol.
I don't remember ever hearing Ford associated with them, but I haven't been been to a dealership recently. And I think they are building a bit more than five cars a year, but why the disparagement? They are a niche manufacturer marketing to extremely rich clientele who are looking for an alternative to the prosaic Ferrari or Lamborghini. And their cars are very fast.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't remember ever hearing Ford associated with them, but I haven't been been to a dealership recently.
They'll tell you now that the engines are their own. They tweaked the platform for their needs but it is still based on the mod motor.

And I think they are building a bit more than five cars a year, but why the disparagement? And their cars are very fast.
Because they aren't in the same league, at all. It is much, much easier to try out ideas or methods of manufacturing at their level because they won't have to deal with the same kind of backlash when problems arise.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

They'll tell you now that the engines are their own. They tweaked the platform for their needs but it is still based on the mod motor.

Because they aren't in the same league, at all. It is much, much easier to try out ideas or methods of manufacturing at their level because they won't have to deal with the same kind of backlash when problems arise.
I think a lot of people would argue that this is one of the benefits of being small, the agility part. I have never heard the term agility applied to GM. But, amazingly, I still own more Chevrolets than Koenigseggs.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Heck even Aston's V12 is based on a 2 decade old Ford. Small companies simply can't afford to build an engine from scratch that is competitive. Lotus buys Toyota engines, McLaren buys Ricardo engines and so on. Koenig is not even on the same level as these guys.

Tuners will also make you cars that are stupid fast because they can bypass the grueling reliability tests that big producers have to abide by.

Koenig is lucky that his buyers don't drive the car over 12k miles a year like I do, and track it every month. I can't imagine how many times you'd have to tow a Koenig from the track. 2 years of tracking now and I only had to tow the car once.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page news!

Interesting, thought the front page would think so too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...t5-in-the-zr1/
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Nurburgring!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:43 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Speaking of the Ring....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...cid=spartanntp
The following users liked this post:
johnglenntwo (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

It is on Boys!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
As a former Viper owner, I admit to a love affair with the car.
However, this Ring thing seems kinda dumb and pointless to me...let Ben Keating or Dodge pay for it.
Imagine if some Corvette guys wanted to do something like this with the Z06.

There is a small group of owners I refer to as the on-line Viperistas, who seem to have devoted their lives to standing on mountain tops and yelling "mine's bigger than yours!" to anyone and everyone.
Of course, no one except them really cares.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

The relationship between displacement and power is not linear.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
The relationship between displacement and power is not linear.
Truth.

F1 currently runs 1.6L V6 turbo hybrids that will be putting out over 1,000 combined HP this year.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:32 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default This guys conflicted! LOL

Originally Posted by sunsalem
As a former Viper owner, I admit to a love affair with the car.
However, this Ring thing seems kinda dumb and pointless to me...let Ben Keating or Dodge pay for it.
Imagine if some Corvette guys wanted to do something like this with the Z06.

There is a small group of owners I refer to as the on-line Viperistas, who seem to have devoted their lives to standing on mountain tops and yelling "mine's bigger than yours!" to anyone and everyone.
Of course, no one except them really cares.
He absolutely loves racing, but, he can't see the merits in another Vette/Viper show down at The Ring, finally with matched purpose.
HELL MY FREIND FORD CAN EVEN MAKE IT NOW!!!
They could all go together one minute apart for track time efficiency!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: LT5: If the GM LF3 were 6.2L.... 725hp!