C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Looking at the pics in this thread of the stock vs ported TB, the ported on looks much smoother and almost shiny. The stock one shows some fine casting or machining porosity. Most of what I have read indicates that a slight surface roughness help to break up the air/fuel molecules, improving atomization.

If you search various manifold and cylinder heads manufacturers tech and FAQs, most recommend not polishing intake paths which can reduce flow and performance. Blending port shape and improving short turn radii are beneficial, but not polishing. Any benefit from porting is likely from enlarging and blending shapes. Eliminating the smooth, polished look and bead blasting would likely improve flow additionally.

It could also be that the photos reflect light more, making the ported version appear polished.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 AM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^ The throttle body doesn't come into contact with the air fuel mix. Fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-17-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM
07Softail
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Said info would be correct wayyyyyy back in the days of carburetors but the DI is what it is Direct Injection into the combustion chamber and the swirled combustion chamber design will facilitate an awesome combustion event. There is a really neat article on the thousands of hours that GM spent on the combustion chamber design of the new DI engine.

RT
Old 03-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Guys,

"Polishing" a parts surface does nothing to improve flow (just adds "bling"). The whole "porting and polishing" phrase is a vestige of the 60's honestly when alot less was really known about the science of airflow.

In fact most pro's that study airflow all agree a slight texture could help as it helps create whats called a boundary layer.....that is a very slow moving layer of air close to the surface of the component air is flowing thru (intake port, TB, etc.). That provides a "cushion" (for lack of a better word) for the the much higher speed air to rush over. You can see this if you probe the port (or TB) for a velocity profile....its very slow moving as you position the probe towards the perimeter/outer edge (almost nothing right at the edge) and as you move the probe further inward (towards the center of the item your checking) the velocity increase is huge. The bulk of the air being moved is mostly utilizing 85-90% of the cross section of the part your checking.

My TB's are finished with a certain grit roll and then I have an additional step which smooths the finish to the touch dramatically.....it actually "feels" smoother than it may look in pictures or live for that matter. I have been using this same process for years now and it works extremely well.

Also more proof regarding airflow and smooth surfaces versus slightly textured.....think golf ball.....if a perfectly smooth sphere would carry greater distances, all major golf ball manufacturers would make theirs perfectly smooth yet clearly that's not the case. The ball will travel further with slight facets in the ball which helps create the boundary layer around the ball I was discussing in the paragragh above

Google "Boundary layer of air" for those of you wanting a more technical description or explanation about if any of you have an interest. There is alot to read about if you're so inclined

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 03-17-2017 at 06:20 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
Bigeasyvette (03-29-2017), george vee (03-17-2017), Harbgrogan (11-15-2019), Is2scooby (03-17-2017), phantasms (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 PM
AK JOEY
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Well once you used the golf ball to explain it I even caught on.....HAHA

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-17-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

So..... would a hammer work to dimple my TB

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,190 Likes on 542 Posts

Tonyyy. When's the restock? Can't wait to get mine
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS DAMM
Tonyyy. When's the restock? Can't wait to get mine
Shipping a good amount by the middle and tail end of this upcoming week.....your TB should be in that group!

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 03-19-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Installed mine last week and it is a keeper! Throttle response and roll-in was great, especially at the track. I believe it picked of some hp/tq but not completely sure b/c I went to a different track... prep was not great like my favorite place to race. Got the LS7 on the CTSV and this puppy on the C7Z. Great work Tony!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I want one
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Just another very well satisfied (thrilled!) customer who installed Tony Mamo's polished T/B. Installed last week and then had the car Ceramic pro'd. The car runs great, seems to have completely eliminated ( or very close to it!) the hesitation. Glad I purchased it, well worth the money. Thanks Tony!!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:54 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Order one....I will refund your money if you have any issues or port something special just a tad more conservative for you if required.

I think your going to have no issues with my standard TB but in the event you do you will have options including a full refund of the part. You have all to gain and nothing to lose

PM me if you would like to get something going

-Tony
I have recently installed Tony's ported TB, at the same time as doing a borla X-pipe as well. I am also installing a wideband o2 sensor at the same time, so that i can keep a close eye on the AFR. I have not run the car since these mods yet, as it is not fully reassembled as of yet.

Previously, I have been running a Halltech CAI, tric, Torco, and Drag Wheels/Tires. My car was very strong before the last round of mods (has run a best of 10.38 in +97 DA).

While my car is torn down, i am also installing a bunch of cooling mods, Dewitts radiator, oil cooler, improved oil thermostat, LMR HX, LMR HX tank, LMR thermostat. The cooling mods will be adding 40 +/- lbs of coolant and parts to the front of the car (sadly), but i am preparing for the hot Texas summers and considering these mods a solid foundation and preparation for future possible pulley/tune mods.

After all of the talk about "going too lean" with the combination of mods including CAI, X-pipe, PTB, etc.... i decided to install the wideband for safety's sake. I will be providing feedback after i get it together and do some monitoring.

Andy

The following users liked this post:
george vee (03-22-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:45 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Just ordered my ported TB from Tony yesterday. I don't even have the car yet, but I knew that I wanted to do his TB along with a green filter and Borla X-pipe as the first mods. I doubt I'll do much beyond that because the Z is already way more car than I need, but I figured for a few hundred bucks these mods would be worth it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Just ordered my ported TB from Tony yesterday. I don't even have the car yet, but I knew that I wanted to do his TB along with a green filter and Borla X-pipe as the first mods. I doubt I'll do much beyond that because the Z is already way more car than I need, but I figured for a few hundred bucks these mods would be worth it.
Your mod list seems solid, I'm leaning the same way but really want to drive the car for a few hundred miles before I do anything
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

17 Z M7...Received my TB from Tony today. Shipped exactly when he said it would. Took maybe 10min to install. Couldn't be happier with the improvement. No more hole in the rev with a light throttle blip leaving from a stop (the main reason I ordered it). As others have said, throttle feels linear through all gears and just plain feels the way it should... Thanks Tony.... Great work Man!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 PM
sofast
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I received mine this past week. It was well packaged when received. I installed it this AM and started the car - no codes appeared. Unfortunately I did not have the time to take it for a drive today but hope to do that sometime during the week. So far I am very happy with the product. Tony has been great to deal with too!

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo Ported TB installed

Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ordered. Will install and review comparing it against my current Katech PTB...and will probably list KPTB for sale on the cheap if anyone's interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by phantasms:
george vee (03-28-2017), Z0Sick6 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I ordered as well... for the price this mod seems like a no brainer! can't wait to get and install
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just received and installed mine today, big difference in all around performance and throttle feel. Tony's work is top notch! It's a no brainer guys.

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Ported TB installed