C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Washing your Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree. I did this tonight and start to finish was 1 hour.

TIP: always do the wheels first

If you want the definitive documentation on this subject, search the C7 General section for the GlenE method. He's done an awesome job of writing it up.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:34 PM
hotrodwest
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

We have pretty hard well water here in central Texas. I started out with softened water which wasn't much better, added DI and that really helped but not very cost effective. Last year we added a rain water catchment system that collects water off of the roof. Now I can wash my cars on a nice sunny hot day with no water spots. I use a pressure washer on minimum pressure and blow off with compressed air. Works great. I only do a complete wash 3-4 times a year. The rest of the time wipe it down with a duster and then wipe it with detailer or wet cloth.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Some of the car washing processes you guys have posted are quite interesting to say the least. I gave my new Z06 (with Xpel front wrap) its first wash yesterday. Very involved. Bucket of clean warm water with Griots Classic Car Wash, lamb's wool mitt and two fluffy bath towels. Took 45 minutes and it came out perfect. Didn't notice any difference in drying the areas with Xpel to the areas without Xpel.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I drive mine through the car wash. Dealer takes trades without any washing technique questioning. oh, 3 minutes.

Last edited by jaden61; 02-23-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Firemedic301
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
It takes me damn near 2 hours to wash and dry the car, I am major OCD when I clean it. I recently had a water softener installed at our home, what a huge difference with no water spots. One trick I use to get most of the water off the car is my leaf blower , it only takes one microfiber cloth after that to completely dry it.
I completely second the LEAF BLOWER. It blows all the residual water out of the lugs on the wheels, every vent, the grill, and the mirrors!!! Works like a dream.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:28 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I paid $580 for a year of 5 washes a month. More than worth the hassle braving the winter and wasting time doing it myself. I drop it off at the mall where they wash it in the garage and I get my haircut or do some shopping and it's done in 30 mins.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

^^^^^^ Interesting. I need to look around for a similar service.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 PM
ralexand
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MRink79553
Love Xpel Ultimate Wrap with an Opti Coat Plus, some bucks yes, but 15 minutes to wash/dry, (1 ounce of Opti Wash/Dry, 2 gallons water, wipe/dry, done!! no scratches, in fact just had a large rock hit the roof on the expressway and nothing!!

Right! That's what I do with waterless car wash
Old 02-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 457 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Just ride dirty...it's easier...lol
Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Just ride dirty...it's easier...lol
Like the vette in your avatar?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 AM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerZ
I second the use of Adams detailing products. The car wash soap and detail spray are awesome. Adams also has a wheel cleaning tool that allows you to access the inside of the barrel and also the caliper. While the car is still wet, I apply the detail spray then micro fiber towel dry. This eliminates all water spots and leaves a great shine.
I use Adams products the same way and this method is the quickest and best I've seen in my many years of owning and showing Corvettes.
The first time I used their products on my 10 year old bright red Mercedes CLK I was absolutely blown away with the results I achieved in 30 minutes using the above procedure. The key is the big microfiber drying towel. Use it first on the glass,no need to seperatley clean and dry the exterior windows!

Go to their website [http://adamspolishes.com] for outstanding videos on every aspect of detailing a car.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Xpel Ultimate is amazing. You won't have to wax and will never see swirls appear from simply wiping it off. 2 coats of cQuartz Finest on top of the XPel is wicked...but short of that, I think many would be just as happy with a much cheaper self application of Blackfire crystal seal.... very simple, self-leveling and it lasts.

I have never waxed my car in two years. Up until last fall, I never touched it with anything other than a hose and towel. I use Chemical Guys Super Suds Grape now. I also use Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer spray every now and then. This is her after 40000km/26000 miles...

Last edited by AllFlash; 02-25-2017 at 12:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AllFlash:
Is2scooby (02-27-2017), oldC5 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 03:07 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
I paid $580 for a year of 5 washes a month. More than worth the hassle braving the winter and wasting time doing it myself. I drop it off at the mall where they wash it in the garage and I get my haircut or do some shopping and it's done in 30 mins.
Thanks for this suggestion! I found something very similar, and based on your description it's likely the same place.
Conveniently close to home too.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:21 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
I enjoy washing mine and I know I'm not going to swirl it up.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:09 AM
tailbiter
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use caution when washing/cleaning near the air intake openings over the rear wheels. I wedged the tip of my left pinky finger in there two months ago while wiping polish off and broke it at the last joint. It tore off a piece of the bone and the tendons attached to it. Hand surgeon said it was inoperable, spent 6 weeks in a splint and am left with a partially frozen finger. I'm not complaining....... just a word to the wise. At least I can still hold onto a golf club.
The following 2 users liked this post by tailbiter:
AK JOEY (02-26-2017), Darkvet (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:10 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by tailbiter
Use caution when washing/cleaning near the air intake openings over the rear wheels. I wedged the tip of my left pinky finger in there two months ago while wiping polish off and broke it at the last joint. It tore off a piece of the bone and the tendons attached to it. Hand surgeon said it was inoperable, spent 6 weeks in a splint and am left with a partially frozen finger. I'm not complaining....... just a word to the wise. At least I can still hold onto a golf club.
Damn, that's brutal man. I think I'll leave my vents dirty from now on.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Damn, that's brutal man. I think I'll leave my vents dirty from now on.

Right?? How would you even get your finger in there?

You know, tailbiter, Q-tips could help in those areas.

Get notified of new replies

To Washing your Z

Old 02-26-2017, 02:38 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Naysayers will be naysayers...and will believe wet washing a car is bad for it. Haven't got a single car that doesn't get wet washed regularly...and oddly enough, they still all look great and run perfectly.

When the paint starts to show wear...I get it glazed and polished.

The End
Old 02-26-2017, 06:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Naysayers will be naysayers...and will believe wet washing a car is bad for it. Haven't got a single car that doesn't get wet washed regularly...and oddly enough, they still all look great and run perfectly.

When the paint starts to show wear...I get it glazed and polished.

The End
Glaze and polish just fills in the scratches. And then it washes out and you're back living in swirltown. I prefer not to have them at all.

It really depends on the color. If your car is white or silver, you can wash it with a brillo pad and it'll still look decent. But if it's black, that's a different story.

I've got 5 black vehicles (though I've never had a black Vette), and they run the spectrum from "Never been washed in 10 years, only dusted" to "Daily driver that I take through the drive-through carwash".

If you parked them next to each other it'd be obvious which is which, except maybe during the week after a good cut and polish. But 2 weeks in it'll be apparent.

So I agree in fact, but not in principle :-)

I paid $580 for a year of 5 washes a month.
I like that idea - if the car came with an "Always clean" option for $75 a month, I would have taken it.

Last edited by davepl; 02-26-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 PM
nvydvr
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I opted to buy a detailing blower that blows filtered air so there is less chance of sandblasting the car... is it necessary? Probably not, but I feel better about it and it works awesome!!! Other than that I recommend a two bucket wash and a strainer at the bottom of your bucket.

Last edited by nvydvr; 02-26-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Washing your Z