C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Based on ZL1 1LE I'm gonna wager the Corvette mule is gonna be

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
According to Chevrolet, it is the "most track-capable Camaro ever."
This time I'm inclined to believe them.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

According to Chevrolet, it is the "most track-capable Camaro ever."
.........worthy a third reply!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:30 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Has there been an equivalent / similar designation to Camaro 1LE designation in Corvette's history?
Could L88 fit in for the big wing C7?

The wing on the ZL1 1LE has this "X" on the endplate...

I think the X is there as a nod to the 2010 Camaro SS.X.

Last edited by Lavender; 02-25-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:44 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
I think the X is there as a nod to the 2010 Camaro SS.X.
is there something painted over or covered up before the "X" ? Looks like it in those photos.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:40 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I'm thinking the C7 counterpart we've seen in photos may receive the new more efficient Eaton 2650cc rotor package. Eaton said the new rotors would debut in an oem however that could be the new 800+ HP Demon with AWD.
A.) The Hellcat (Demon) blower is an IHI unit, not an Eaton
B.) The Demon is not AWD
S.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Why is the Camaro ZL1 1LE released before a super Corvette model that's been prowling the testing world? The ZL1 is barely hatched on hitting the streets and they're already adding track packs.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Awesome ride...amazing achievement...still I'll never own a car with a big *** rear wing...I just don't care how great it is for the track...I draw the line on these crazy huge rear wings..

I am sure I'm alone in this but I prefer styling that doesn't go that far racer..

The Ford GT, the Ferrari f488 styling is preferred...although at a much higher price point.

I wish these spoilers and wings were able to be deleted for a savings...

I would imagine the in your face styling is quite popular these days...

I don't mind the wide fenders of the hellcat demon....it's more along the lines of airplane like wings on the cars trunk...

Insane and excellent performers though so I guess the wings are legit...

I just imagine coming back to my car that had a big wing like that being ripped off when parking in NYCity for the day...or at movie thether in Jersey at night..
Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 AM
G fix needy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Why is the Camaro ZL1 1LE released before a super Corvette model that's been prowling the testing world? The ZL1 is barely hatched on hitting the streets and they're already adding track packs.
The plant closing is probably causing delays. I hope the suspension & brakes follow the same route for "SuperVette/ZR1"

"The spool-valve Multimatic DSSV Formula 1-inspired absorbers replace the ZL1’s Magnetic Ride Control and help to shave 60 pounds off the car’s curb weight. The shocks are also threaded and allows the addition or subtraction of up to 20 mm of ride height all the way around.

In the braking department, the standard ZL1 binders carry over with the front six-piston, monobloc Brembos clamping down on a two piece 390 mm diameter rotor up front and a four piston calipers biting on 365 mm rotors out back. Head honcho Al Oppenheiser said that they decided to forgo the carbon ceramic brakes with the ZL1 1LE due to the substantial size of the current braking system, rendering it virtually fade-free in any condition and added that the addition of carbon ceramics would just make the car more difficult to live with and not offer much in the way of actual performance gains."

Last edited by G fix needy; 02-25-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Awesome ride...amazing achievement...still I'll never own a car with a big *** rear wing...I just don't care how great it is for the track...I draw the line on these crazy huge rear wings..

I am sure I'm alone in this but I prefer styling that doesn't go that far racer..

The Ford GT, the Ferrari f488 styling is preferred...although at a much higher price point.

I don't mind the wide fenders of the hellcat demon....it's more along the lines of airplane like wings on the cars trunk...

I just imagine coming back to my car that had a big wing like that being ripped off when parking in NYCity for the day...or at movie thether in Jersey at night..

I'm with you 100% on the clean styling front.
Even if the aero is added on, my eye appreciates a look that is integrated and fluid; purposeful for improving the vehicle's performance. Something like...

And yes, unfortunately, it tends to come at a much higher price point.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by G fix needy
The plant closing is probably causing delays. I hope the suspension & brakes follow the same route for "SuperVette/ZR1"

"The spool-valve Multimatic DSSV Formula 1-inspired absorbers replace the ZL1’s Magnetic Ride Control and help to shave 60 pounds off the car’s curb weight. The shocks are also threaded and allows the addition or subtraction of up to 20 mm of ride height all the way around.

In the braking department, the standard ZL1 binders carry over with the front six-piston, monobloc Brembos clamping down on a two piece 390 mm diameter rotor up front and a four piston calipers biting on 365 mm rotors out back. Head honcho Al Oppenheiser said that they decided to forgo the carbon ceramic brakes with the ZL1 1LE due to the substantial size of the current braking system, rendering it virtually fade-free in any condition and added that the addition of carbon ceramics would just make the car more difficult to live with and not offer much in the way of actual performance gains."
IIRC, the cars saves 60 pounds by using the DSSV shocks, lighter 19 inch wheels, lighter rear glass, and fixed rear seats (instead of folding ones). It's not just the suspension that saves that much weight.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

This car definitely confirms there will be no current gen high HP (NA) track capable GM car. Z28 and N.A. ZR1 can now be laid to rest. All the ME stuff can be laid to rest as well, since the 80s this concept has been beat to death. I'm still interested to see what the camo Corvette is. A Z07 was supposed to be THE track car. I'd expect a ton of aero, better cooling, slightly bigger blower.
Big times for American car lovers, this Camaro is legit, the Demon looks interesting and whatever the Vette team has in store. I'm sure Ford has something in the cut with that joint A10 auto, that thing will be ridiculous in auto form.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

The spoilers and wings can be deleted for a savings simply by getting the ZL1 without the 1LE track package. As you know, the car will be slower at the track but it'll still be a beast. A true track rat would have to have the 1LE package but not everybody is a track rat. If nothing else, I look forward to seeing them ripping around the track. They're going to be impressive.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks awesome and no doubt it will be great.

Not giving this up for it though.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I am sure I'm alone in this but I prefer styling that doesn't go that far racer.....

I understand the large group that doesn't want aero, but you can already order these versions of a Camaro that meets your exact needs:
base coupe
base convertible
ss coupe
ss convertible
1le
zl1

FINALLY, a track rat gets ONE version... and it doesn't prevent you from ordering a wingless version.

Just like the moaning about the new corvette mules with aero. you can already order:
stingray coupe
stingray convertible
stingray z51 coupe
stingray z51 convertible
grandsport coupe
grandsport convertible
z06 coupe
z06 convertible

The track rats are FINALLY getting an aero car that doesn't replace any of the versions above yet people (not you) are whining about it because they want a z06 without aero that already exists
Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
A.) The Hellcat (Demon) blower is an IHI unit, not an Eaton
B.) The Demon is not AWD
S.
Thanks for the clarification S
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/breaking-...camaro-zl1-1le

So we’re just going to get straight to the point: you know that sixth-gen Camaro everyone has been catching glimpses of testing everywhere from the Nurburgring to mid-America? Yeah, turns out that was actually the ZL1 1LE, a vehicle which Chevrolet took the wraps off tonight at the hallowed grounds of the Daytona International Speedway to a crowd of automotive journalist that we just so happened to be a part of.

In a move that shocked even a room full of well informed industry professionals, Chevrolet doubled up on two of its most iconic performance brands by combining the 1LE with the veritable ZL1. While we were shocked when Jeff Gordon rolled the car in—yeah, did we mention Jeff Gordon was driving it—we weren’t surprised to see a new performance variant of the Camaro, though we and almost everyone in the industry was expecting that we would see the debut of the Z/28. But this car did not disappoint us.

“The track-focused 1LE package offers progressive levels of performance across the Camaro lineup, from the V6 1LE to the SS 1LE,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “But with the new ZL1 1LE, the progression takes a quantum leap — this is the ultimate track-day Camaro.”

So lets get down to what you are probably reading this article for in the first place, the specs. The ZL1 1LE is a drastic departure from the standard ZL1, even if its looks might not show it. In fact, it has enough go-fast goodies to have it lapping the Milford Proving Grounds three seconds faster than the standard ZL1—you know the “standard” ZL1 that lapped the Nurburgring in just 7:29.60 seconds. The biggest change for the car is probably the addition of Multimatic DSSV shocks. If they sound familiar, that’s because they were originally piloted on the fifth-gen Z/28 and recently shook up the mid-sized truck market when they debuted on the Colorado ZR2.

The Multimatic Formula 1-inspired absorbers replace the ZL1’s Magnetic Ride Control and help to shave 60 pounds off the car’s curb weight. Chevrolet says that they estimate the car to weigh in at a svelte 3,820 pounds. The car lost additional weight with the use of a fixed rear seat, thinner rear glass, and lighter wheels. Other than that, the ZL1’s interior remains unchanged with the 1LE. You still get Apple Car Play, heated and cooled seats, and power everything.

Other suspension changes include anodized, adjustable camber plates that allow for up to -3.7 degrees of camber to be dialed in up front. The shocks are also threaded and allows the addition or subtraction of up to 20 mm of ride height all the way around. The front shocks are also hard mounted at both ends, removing the annoying rubber bushings that would normally deflect under the conditions that these things are liable to see. The control arms also utilize double ball joint construction which adds a lot of strength and stability to the equation. A three way adjustable stabilizer bar out back allows you to dial in under- or over-steer depending on track conditions, though camber is fixed at the rear at -1 degree.

The engine also remains unchanged, albeit with the updated supercharger lid that was implemented on all 2017 LT4s, ensuring that the mill is constantly getting crisp, cool air no matter the operating considerations. Some how 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque will have to suffice—and we doubt many will find much to complain about the 6.2-liter, direct-injected bullet. The ZL1 1LE is also only available with the six-speed manual, which is how we prefer it but we were somewhat surprised to see that they won’t be offering it with the track-capable 10-speed automatic.

In the braking department, the standard ZL1 binders carry over with the front six-piston, monobloc Brembos clamping down on a two piece 390 mm diameter rotor up front and a four piston calipers biting on 365 mm rotors out back. Head honcho Al Oppenheiser said that they decided to forgo the carbon ceramic brakes with the ZL1 1LE due to the substantial size of the current braking system, rendering it virtually fade-free in any condition and added that the addition of carbon ceramics would just make the car more difficult to live with and not offer much in the way of actual performance gains.

One of the largest changes on the ZL1 1LE, other than the spool-valve Mutlimatic absorbers, is literally where the rubber meets the road. Chevrolet tells us that they have been working with Goodyear for three years now to develop a tire that is more capable then any piece of rubber that has ever shod a Camaro. Which is impressive considering the standard ZL1’s Goodyear Supercar F1 tires are some of the best you can get your hands on. The new tires are massive Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3Rs, measuring P305/30ZR19 up front and P325/30ZR19 out back, making them the largest tires ever bolted to a Camaro. They are wrapped around new, light weight, forged aluminum wheels, 19X10 up front and 19X11 at the rear.

Brand new aero pieces are the main visual indicator that what you’re seeing isn’t your standard ZL1. The typical flat black elements from the 1LE, such as the hood and door mirros, carry over but have been applied to as the grill, new aero pieces, and wheels as well. The large carbon fiber wing out back sits at a 10 degree down angle and provide 300 pounds of downforce at the rear of the car—more than double that of the standard ZL1 spoiler. The stanchions that attach the wing to the rear deck lid are also hollow to save weight and the wing has a subtle X marking at either end. Dive planes, more commonly referred to canards, adorn the front of the car and provide additional downforce. The brake duct intakes, as well as the entire grille, have been redesign and are much more aggressive at grabbing atmosphere to stuff through one of the nine coolers on the car or redirect to the cars brakes.

Another big change for the 1LE is the addition, or rather subtraction, of the rear cradle bushings. The stock rubber units have been ditched in favor of solid mounting the cradle to the car’s chassis. All of these improvements combine to bring the car’s skid pad number up to an unbelievable 1.10 g. This car will literally be able to rip your face off whether it’s accelerating, braking, or turning.

“The new Camaro ZL1 1LE offers the supreme track experience,” said Mark Dickens, executive director, Chevrolet Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsports Engineering. “It’s the pinnacle of Camaro performance and advances the 1LE’s nearly 30-year legacy of uncompromising, track-tailored capability.”

Unfortunately for us, the ZL1 1LE is a 2018 model which means it won’t be available for sale until sometime this summer. However, ordering one will be pretty easy as it is just another option box to tick on the order sheet—though they wouldn’t share with us how much the 1LE option will cost as they’ve yet to put 2018 pricing together.

So, were we disappointed that the ZL1 1LE wasn’t a Z/28? Not at all! This capable performer will be thrilling us until the General sees fit to bestow a Z/28 upon us.

“We’ve always said that we’ll bring a Z/28 to market if the formula for one looks right, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility,” Oppenheiser said.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/biggest-e...story-on-track

Biggest Event In Corvette History On Track

Everyone’s seen the spy photos, heard the rumors, witnessed the growth of the Bowling Green plant, and seen the uncovered documents straight from GM. Its true–Corvette is on the cusp of something huge.

And, now, there’s yet another reason for us to get excited– a complete close-down of Bowling Green and a halt to vehicle production for up to four months. Sure, that may not sound like good news, but we think it definitely is. Just like the other recent announcements from Chevy, this is just another step in the right direction.

It seems this has been planned for a while, too, as Corvette inventory across the U.S. is pretty high at the moment. For the 2017 model year, the last time to order is April 13th, and the last day of production is June 2nd. So get your orders in!

So what does this mean?… According to CorvetteBlogger, a plant spokesperson said that when the plant resumes production following the closure, Chevrolet will begin to build the 2018 model year. Could it be what we’ve all been waiting for? Will it be a Corvette or a Cadillac? One thing’s for sure, its closer than it has ever been before.

Get notified of new replies

To Based on ZL1 1LE I'm gonna wager the Corvette mule is gonna be

Old 02-25-2017, 01:12 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I doubt there's a Z28 at this point. This is basically everything the last gen Z28 (lighter, DSSV shocks, aero upgrades) except now it's an option package for the ZL1.
Al Oppenheiser (the Camaro Chief Engineer) mentioned at the reveal tha the Z28 RPO and moniker is reserved for naturally aspirated Camaros...(ref. Camaro6.com).

I gotta tell you guys. The new Camaro is catching the base Vette. We just bought a new 1SS 1LE for my son, and it is a spectacular pony car.

Last edited by bub; 02-25-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The BIG news is that it's not available with the NEW 10 speed automatic transmission. I wonder why, since the base version ZL1 was?

Does this news somehow forecast what will be available/not available on the 2018 Corvette?

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

ZL1 1LE:

I love the ZL1, not too crazy about the 1LE.... But It does have an intended purpose, and no doubt, its bad ***.

Last edited by ajrothm; 02-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Based on ZL1 1LE I'm gonna wager the Corvette mule is gonna be