C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Test & Tune fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Default Test & Tune fun

After a month and a half of rain in Northern California, we had clear skies yesterday. I met my buddy Richard (ls2scooby) at Sacramento Raceway for a test and tune session. We both have 2016 Laguna Blue 3lz Z06s. Later in the day we were able to line up against each other We have similar bolt-on mods; Halltech, Borla x-pipes, Hoosiers 315x18 drag radials. I have a Granatelli tank and skinnies. Here is a time slip of our run. I wish we could have taken a video of two identical LG Z06s going down the strip with near identical times. 60's were marginal. I'm not sure leaving at idle gives the best 60'. I've cut low 1.60s and a 10.59 by footbraking with the rpms up and I'll be doing that the next time out. It sure doesn't help with reaction times! I am the car on the right.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 383vett:
ajrothm (02-26-2017), Is2scooby (02-26-2017), Kouasupra (02-26-2017), SterlingDrive (02-26-2017), UBNZO6D (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
After a month and a half of rain in Northern California, we had clear skies yesterday. I met my buddy Richard (ls2scooby) at Sacramento Raceway for a test and tune session. We both have 2016 Laguna Blue 3lz Z06s. Later in the day we were able to line up against each other We have similar bolt-on mods; Halltech, Borla x-pipes, Hoosiers 315x18 drag radials. I have a Granatelli tank and skinnies. Here is a time slip of our run. I wish we could have taken a video of two identical LG Z06s going down the strip with near identical times. 60's were marginal. I'm not sure leaving at idle gives the best 60'. I've cut low 1.60s and a 10.59 by footbraking with the rpms up and I'll be doing that the next time out. It sure doesn't help with reaction times! I am the car on the right.

Willie, congrats on your new PB. You guys must have been pretty much side by side almost all the way down the track. Very
Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Nice pass!! I bet that did look cool, two identical cars, running identical times.

Its weird how things changes as they go down the track. He had .03 on you in the 60', yet you had .05 on him in the traps with basically the same mph..

Neat stuff...cars are running damn good. Have you ran it on the stock wheels to compare the mph to the skinnies?

I know skinnies have always been worth at least 2 mph on all of my cars, I've not tested them on the Z yet.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Willie, yesterday was great fun. I bet everyone was confused about how "that blue Z06 kept running so often" until they figured out there were two of us. ;-)

Alas there is no external video - but here's my PDR from that run where I take the time at the end to apologize for redlighting you!

BTW - your 133+ mph run at the beginning of the day was a big end barnstormer! I've been combing the 'net shopping for skinnies ever since.

Last edited by Is2scooby; 02-26-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Great times! Congrats!!

Man, I wanted to run so bad yesterday but my car is on the bodyshop getting stripes. :-(
We had awesome air here yesterday, like less than 200DA.

Either of you guys running increased octane?
what was the DA?
Did you get the cars fully cooled down?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Drag Times is showing DA at -342. I run half a can of Torco mixed with 1/4 tank of 91. I believe Willie runs a bit of race gas splashed in with his California Pump Swill. :-)

I think this might be the tail end of the good weather here so didn't want to miss our last opportunity to get some good times before 110 degree days are upon us.

I let the car sit for an hour with the hood up in 55 degree temps between runs.

Would love to see those stripes when they're done.

Last edited by Is2scooby; 02-26-2017 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 PM
ACS55
Pro

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Drag Times is showing DA at -342. I run half a can of Torco mixed with 1/4 tank of 91. I believe Willie runs a bit of race gas splashed in with his California Pump Swill. :-)

I think this might be the tail end of the good weather here so didn't want to miss our last opportunity to get some good times before 110 degree days are upon us.

I let the car sit for an hour with the hood up in 55 degree temps between runs.

Would love to see those stripes when they're done.
Sounds like you know all the tricks!!
Awesome times!! Congrats!!
I am so disappointed that I didn't get to run this weekend. Arghh..

next weekend is projected to be warmer here :-(. Our DA was less than 200 and I don't believe we will see that again until December.

Are you going to leave it as is, or start modding some more?
Is2scooby (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by Les
Willie, congrats on your new PB. You guys must have been pretty much side by side almost all the way down the track. Very
Thanks Les. A video of the two clones would have been great.

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Nice pass!! I bet that did look cool, two identical cars, running identical times.

Its weird how things changes as they go down the track. He had .03 on you in the 60', yet you had .05 on him in the traps with basically the same mph..

Neat stuff...cars are running damn good. Have you ran it on the stock wheels to compare the mph to the skinnies?

I know skinnies have always been worth at least 2 mph on all of my cars, I've not tested them on the Z yet.
Thanks ajrothm. I have always thought skinnies are good for a tenth or two at the track. I haven't run the Hoosiers with street fronts. I think Richard has a really strong car considering our near similar times and with me having skinnies and an icy Granatelli tank.

Originally Posted by ACS55
Great times! Congrats!!

Man, I wanted to run so bad yesterday but my car is on the bodyshop getting stripes. :-(
We had awesome air here yesterday, like less than 200DA.

Either of you guys running increased octane?
what was the DA?
Did you get the cars fully cooled down?
Thanks AC555, We've all been envious of your quarter mile times. I ran 4 gallons of 91 with 2 gallons of 100 octane unleaded race gas.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice runs and times, takes a few ingredients to get these cars to perform like that, Congrats to both of you!!
Is2scooby (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

that 315 30 keeps the rpms nice going thru the traps short tire
Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 PM
ACS55
Pro

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
that 315 30 keeps the rpms nice going thru the traps short tire
Yes I truly believe they (315-30-18 Hoosier DR's) help a lot. John (1QuickZ) turned me onto those, after he did all of the testing .

The help provided by members on here has been overwhelming, and I am so very thankful for that!!

Is2scooby (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

i need to get out there and run my car. My chevy ss 4 door sedan is faster then my z06 found that out last night from a 50 roll vs eachother. Sonoma opens up soon so first my vett then my ss im taking out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by NORCAL-SS:
Is2scooby (02-26-2017), UBNZO6D (02-27-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 11:48 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Nice runs and times, takes a few ingredients to get these cars to perform like that, Congrats to both of you!!

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
i need to get out there and run my car. My chevy ss 4 door sedan is faster then my z06 found that out last night from a 50 roll vs eachother. Sonoma opens up soon so first my vett then my ss im taking out there.
2 day race this weekend. Tony. Wednesday night starts on the 15th. I told Richard to contact you for the front skinny combination. Thanks for setting me up with the front and back rollers.

Last edited by 383vett; 02-26-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Is2scooby (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Are you going to leave it as is, or start modding some more?
That's the $64,000 question for many of us, isn't it? ;-)

I'm torn. I would really like to extract the performance out of the car that I know is lurking there - but the car is only 9 months old with 3k miles on it and I'm trying to keep the warranty intact until I'm convinced that the major powertrain components are solid. That, or as some of my friends are telling me, I'm just being overly cautious (then again they're not going to foot the bill if something big pops).

Since the good weather is almost invariably done for this year, I'll probably stay at this mod level for the next 6 months or so then do a pulley, flex fuel (e40) and tune with the hopes of getting into the single digits next winter. I'll probably need a set of skinnies too...

If that setup won't get me a 9.99 timeslip I'm not sure it'll be worth doing and throwing the warranty away, as the car already runs mid-10's and is quite frankly too much for the street on the MPSS so the only upside for me is a single digit hero run. :-)

In any case, the performance out of these cars is just mind blowing. I grew up at a time when the fastest car in school bragged about running 12's but most likely could only show a 13.50 timeslip if pressed. Now we have Corvettes that can run 10's off the showroom floor. It's a great time to be a gearhead!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Yes I truly believe they (315-30-18 Hoosier DR's) help a lot. John (1QuickZ) turned me onto those, after he did all of the testing .

The help provided by members on here has been overwhelming, and I am so very thankful for that!!

Agreed. Thanks for all your efforts and willingness to share your results 1QuickZ!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
That's the $64,000 question for many of us, isn't it? ;-)

I'm torn. I would really like to extract the performance out of the car that I know is lurking there - but the car is only 9 months old with 3k miles on it and I'm trying to keep the warranty intact until I'm convinced that the major powertrain components are solid. That, or as some of my friends are telling me, I'm just being overly cautious (then again they're not going to foot the bill if something big pops).

Since the good weather is almost invariably done for this year, I'll probably stay at this mod level for the next 6 months or so then do a pulley, flex fuel (e40) and tune with the hopes of getting into the single digits next winter. I'll probably need a set of skinnies too...

If that setup won't get me a 9.99 timeslip I'm not sure it'll be worth doing and throwing the warranty away, as the car already runs mid-10's and is quite frankly too much for the street on the MPSS so the only upside for me is a single digit hero run. :-)
This is EXACTLY where I am at right now. I want to do minor bolt ons/meth/flex E85 so bad right now its not even funny....However I also want to keep the warranty for a bit longer just because of the flakeyness of these diffs/trannies, even on stock cars. Originally, I told myself to wait two years before I would mod, now I'm 5 months, 2500 miles in and its killing me knowing there is so much "low hanging fruit" waiting there for me to get, relatively cheap..

I may try to make it a year but...for no more then what I drive it, I still won't rack up many miles even in a year or two, I'm almost ready to say F it and mod it, I may as well enjoy it when I DO drive it, and I'd enjoy another 100+rwhp...
Old 02-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
This is EXACTLY where I am at right now. I want to do minor bolt ons/meth/flex E85 so bad right now its not even funny....However I also want to keep the warranty for a bit longer just because of the flakeyness of these diffs/trannies, even on stock cars. Originally, I told myself to wait two years before I would mod, now I'm 5 months, 2500 miles in and its killing me knowing there is so much "low hanging fruit" waiting there for me to get, relatively cheap..

I may try to make it a year but...for no more then what I drive it, I still won't rack up many miles even in a year or two, I'm almost ready to say F it and mod it, I may as well enjoy it when I DO drive it, and I'd enjoy another 100+rwhp...
You, sir, have a sickness. Unfortunately, if there's a cure I'm not aware of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Test & Tune fun

Old 02-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 383vett

OUSTANDING ***** and Ls2scooby you guys are freaking flying on those mostly stock C7 Z06 A8 machines!!

It is also very cool to see that you guys almost ran identical et and trap speeds that is outstanding!! Based on the reaction time I assume Ls2scooby won that particular race?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-27-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Is2scooby (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Thanks Jimmy! Considering I redlit Willie (inadvertently) I did cross the finish line .236 seconds before him but would have lost if it was a race. Willie is a seasoned bracket racer and I'm just a test and tune hack so I was trying to cut as much of a light as I could, but turned it red instead.

I could have sworn that I was flooring it when I saw the 3rd yellow come on but when reviewing the PDR it looks like I left when the 2nd yellow went out instead. Oh well. I'm no pro, that's for sure. ;-)

Last edited by Is2scooby; 02-27-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
OUSTANDING ***** and Ls2scooby you guys are freaking flying on those mostly stock C7 Z06 A8 machines!!

It is also very cool to see that you guys almost ran identical et and trap speeds that is outstanding!! Based on the reaction time I assume Ls2scooby won that particular race?
Thanks Jimmy, The .236 seconds that Richard finished in front of me equates to about 2 1/4 car lengths at that speed. Miss you on the forum. How is the monster Viper doing?

Quick Reply: Test & Tune fun