C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is GM ever going to let the '15/'16 owners know what the deal is??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:42 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Whether or not you track is not the question how much trade in value did we lose because of all the bad press from over heating. How about a 4000 dollar voucher for trade in.
z51vett
Doug
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you sell it privately I don't think you will lose anything unless a track oriented guy is interested. The reality is that most people do not have a clue about the overheating issue. If you are trading it in you will lose anyway since dealers don't like getting trades unless they steal it from you.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:22 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

How many of you that have posted have actually had a heating problem with your car? I've overheated one car and seen others overheat but so far my M7 hasn't overheated. Mine is a 2015 and when I was at VIR last year a 2016 that was following me had overheating, reduced power, and even backfiring. It was loud enough that I could hear it behind me at track speeds. It started smoking and he pulled off the track. My car was running fine. His car was an A8 not an M7. I did keep my car in higher gears than I normally would have because that seemed to help with the car I was driving that overheated but my car didn't seem to be getting hot at all. It's almost like pot luck whether your car heats or not. It doesn't make sense on a mass production vehicle unless something is different on the cars that heat. Food for thought.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:57 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Looks like mustang owners didn't wait nearly as long:
http://shiftinglanes.com/2017/03/she...suit-bullshit/

Wonder if we'll have to go that far to hold Tadge to his word.

Last edited by RandomTask; 03-27-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Satch0922
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Consumer fraud? LMFAO that's a good one, good luck with your class action.

I don't like that the A8s are having an issue with heat at the track anymore than you guys and I sure wish they would have done a better job on the cooling system from the beginning but it is what it is. I hope that GM will give us 15-16 guys a break on pricing for cooling system upgrades but I certainly don't expect anything for free. If you are serious track rat you should be doing the LG or G-speed cooling upgrades anyways since that will certainly have a better cooling affect than just using the OEM 17 parts.

If you guys really think that the Z06 is the only car that gets hot during track events you really haven't been at any track events.
This ^^^^

I am not a track guy, but have friends that are. They trailer their Vette to the track, do their own mods and mechanic work (or have mechanics that do it for them....certainly not the dealer). As a former motocross racer, even the best bike built needs work when they are brand new. Reminds me of riders complaining that an $8000 dirt bike needs grips, tires, suspension set up and chains/sprockets before it truly "race ready".

Enjoy the car, and remember, you torched the resale value the day you tracked the car.
The following users liked this post:
360Lemans (03-28-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 03:42 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Yeah I don't understand he already said something would be offered.
It's plain and simple. Tadge lied about making this right. Period. End of Story. And GM and Tage don't need any defenders on this forum. He was recorded saying there was a fix coming for all of our 15s and 16s. If it's not happening, or hasn't happened by the corvette museum bash, I plan on asking him in the during his dog and pony show in front of everyone at the session. He has a lot of nerve to show his face at these events for solvedcorvette owners and prospective buyers. If it's resolved by the time of the Bash, there will be no reason to bring the issue up, except giving Tadge and GM a big thank you for resolving the issue.

Last edited by RACE U; 04-02-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:28 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

And some would say "you should have done your due diligence", or that you "knew this issue was out there".

In my case, the answer was really no, that's not true. I have an A8, and as I recall, the first of the A8's came out in the early part (early 2015, when it was still winter time). I ordered my car in June of 2015 (it is a 16 model year). Relatively speaking, there was not that much data out there at that time to support the claims about the A8 issues.

The only thing I do remember, is the A8's came out a little later than originally anticipated, and it was discussed on the forum that during the delay in its release GM was testing the heck out of it in Florida. Maybe that should have been a red flag, but at the time it wasn't.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:05 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

It's not whether or not I have ran hot it's the illusion that buyers will have and dealers knocking off trade in value because of this precieved problem real or not. I thought about a 17 when the fire sale was going on then I thought wait for 2018 model to see what's up.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-02-2017, 10:24 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
It's not whether or not I have ran hot it's the illusion that buyers will have and dealers knocking off trade in value because of this precieved problem real or not.
Do you really think a dealer would reduce a trade value based on this issue? I find that highly unlikely, I'd say age, mileage, and condition will play a much more significant role in determining value.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Do you really think a dealer would reduce a trade value based on this issue? I find that highly unlikely, I'd say age, mileage, and condition will play a much more significant role in determining value.
It will have no effect on dealer trade in value.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
It will have no effect on dealer trade in value.
Not True at all. Dealer trade in prices are affected by numerous factors such as a car being in demand and also wholesale auction values. if you were looking for a used vette would I be more inclined to purchase on that has KNOWN problems with cooling or one with this "semi-sorted" out?

To say otherwise is just obtuse.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:57 AM
vntgmbk
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by funz06
Just thinking out loud after reading some of the latest posts....................I think we brought this on ourselves, at least a little bit. For example, why did we all buy the C7's, including the Z06's, when the paint jobs were so bad? I remember with the 2014's and early 2105's, the orange peel could easily be seen from 20 to 30 feet away in the dealer show rooms------yet, we still bought the cars. For the most part we wouldn't have done that for our daily drivers---we would have moved on to another model, etc. However, it was a corvette and we went along.

Why did we buy the Z06's when we knew the paint on the sides was going to get chipped from the road debris---like the C6 Z06's?

We did the 90+% of us that don't track the car buy the Z06 knowing we can't get all season tires to fit the damn car----so for us in the colder climates, we are limited to using the car 6-7 months of the year with the track tires---it is land boat?

Similar thinking with the cooling, once the problems surfaced with the 2015 Z06's, we still went ahead and bought them anyway--same with the 2016's.

GM went into bankruptcy, and the reasons why are many------e.g., poor products (we had 3 Caddies with problems they couldn't solve---electrical; 13 water pumps in about 12 months; burning a quart of oil with every few hundred miles); poor customer service (they did not care at all with our car problems-----end result is that my wife swore off GM products and this also impacted our childrens' thinking).

I know when they emerged from Chapter 11 their service didn't improve, nor did their big company bureaucracy when it came to common sense. For example, I needed a new trunk panel for my 2008 Z06. THREE times they shipped one out in a flimsy cardboard box---maybe an eighth of an inch thick---tops. So 3 times the trunk came in broken. The body shop was on the phone with GM in Detroit---speaking to the folks in the warehouse for the 3rd and 4th shipments------oh yea, no next day delivery to help the customer out. In fact, for the last two shipments, since it was 'near' the end of the day in Detroit, they wouldn't pick the trunk from the inventory until the next day---it was near time to go home. So 3 trunks were broken---ends all smashed, etc. and nobody cared. Meanwhile the body shop owner showed me how 3-4 other manufacturers sent their body parts------all bubble wrapped; very thick cardboard--almost like wood; etc., etc.

Bottom line, GM does what it does because they can---we let them. We still buy the corvettes--------they can ignore the few that do complain because they are making money off the model anyway---no reason to spend money to fix problems as only a few will switch to another car------comes down to money and not reputation, customer service, or product quality.......in their eyes, anyway.

I love my 2015..............best vette I have owned. I don't track it though............................also don't think GM has changed one iota from their pre-bankruptcy days..............too big to care about the customer.

And I had my caffeine......................don't know what triggered the above rant.......sorry in advance...............
Great Post! Thanks for taking the time to type what so many of us are thinking! Bottom line until Corvette sales drastically drop off where it really hurts GM, they will continue to be the OLD GM and never consider putting the customer first or focusing on customer satisfaction. They look at sales out the door and revenue coming in. I am sure behind closed doors they snicker at what they can get away with in the Corvette Community. Sad but true.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:48 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm one of those that drives my car all year round. I have fun with it but don't continually beat it. Over 2 years now and over 10,000 miles. Love it. Never overheated but then never tracked. Not sure if adding the Callaway package helped but so far too much fun.

Last edited by hootowlc7; 04-03-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:51 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Ford GT350 owners filed a class action lawsuit today re: overheating the transmissions and differentials in their cars. Apparently neither comes stock with a cooler and they need to be added to successfully track the cars.
The 16' GT350 had the track pack (engine, trans and rear end coolers) as an option. In 17' those were added as standard.

The problem with that lawsuit is people tracking those cars without the Track Package. If they were planning on tracking it, they should have bought one with the optioning track package.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:53 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The 16' GT350 had the track pack (engine, trans and rear end coolers) as an option. In 17' those were added as standard.

The problem with that lawsuit is people tracking those cars without the Track Package. If they were planning on tracking it, they should have bought one with the optioning track package.
Except the Track Pack REMOVED the other luxury items which in 2017 can now be kept with the additional coolers. After reading about the suit I decided to go on the Ford site and check it out. It's ambiguous. I can certainly see how GT350 buyers wouldn't realize they're missing essential coolers when they opt to keep things like Sync, a rear view camera and power seats.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The engine output and handling of these cars is increasing faster than the drivetrains can keep up.

But the fact remains that promises were made to 15/16 owners. Some may have even purchased after those promises were made assuming GM would stand by their word. (There's a laugh!)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Ford GT350 owners filed a class action lawsuit today re: overheating the transmissions and differentials in their cars. Apparently neither comes stock with a cooler and they need to be added to successfully track the cars.
Originally Posted by spearfish25
Except the Track Pack REMOVED the other luxury items which in 2017 can now be kept with the additional coolers. After reading about the suit I decided to go on the Ford site and check it out. It's ambiguous. I can certainly see how GT350 buyers wouldn't realize they're missing essential coolers when they opt to keep things like Sync, a rear view camera and power seats.

Yeah, I hear you. But if I had any plans on tracking one, I'd sure as hell get the track pack and just live without those other luxury ipoptions. Thankfully, Ford fixed that in 17'.

Get notified of new replies

To Is GM ever going to let the '15/'16 owners know what the deal is??

Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Spacewalker
But the fact remains that promises were made to 15/16 owners.
No such promises were made by anyone. You can watch that video as much as you want; if you somehow interpret what Tadge says as a promise, then there's probably little I can do to help you. All he said was, "We're working on" it. He gave no time line, he gave no inkling of what it might cost, nor did he promise it would actually appear. Just that they're working on it.

Folks really have to readjust their expectations or they're at risk for disappointments.
CPhelps (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Stingray and GS A8 issues and Z06 over heating issues......
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 PM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
No such promises were made by anyone. You can watch that video as much as you want; if you somehow interpret what Tadge says as a promise, then there's probably little I can do to help you. All he said was, "We're working on" it. He gave no time line, he gave no inkling of what it might cost, nor did he promise it would actually appear. Just that they're working on it.

Folks really have to readjust their expectations or they're at risk for disappointments.
This is just a bunch of double talk to try to calm the masses. When the chief engineer of the corvette program states that a parts swap is in the works, people take him at his word. It was not like it was the lacky carwash boy at a dealer stating this. It is the chief engineer of the entire corvette program!

The masses want to know, in what time frame can we expect a parts swap to correct the engineering defects with the 2015 and 2016 cars concerning overheating and heatsoak? Can we expect this occur within a week, a month, a year within the time frame of the C7 model? C8? C9? C10?...absolutely never? It's not that difficult.
Rodbuster56 (05-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Is GM ever going to let the '15/'16 owners know what the deal is??