C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....

Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Great job and nice video. Appreciate the time you took to put this together. Looking forward to more!!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TB427Z06
David, thanks for going through many of the Z06 accessary functions. I've owned my car 2 months now and put about 700 miles on it and am still learning how to use all the gadgetry on this car. I have been doing a lot of cruising in the mountains and I am constantly downshifting when I have to slow down for curves or going down steep grades. I have been using the M7 clutch to help with braking. I haven't even tried the rev matching and will have to see how it works next time I go out. I'm not sure what difference it will make because my wife is usually with me, so I'm having to drive very slow, so there is no track type driving involved. Also your Part 1 video in this series, where you went round and round your car with the video gave me a good feel on how the full length side skirts look on the car. I had been debating on whether to put side skirts on for additional protection, but was not a fan of the look. After seeing your car in Laguna Blue from all angles, helped me make my decision to go with full length carbon fiber exposed skirts to match my carbon fiber exposed roof. So thanks for these useful videos!
Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it...and I LOVE your car I personally love the side skirts on the car but the Z06 looks fantastic with or without them. I think they do provide a fair amount of protection from rock chips as well. I think you'll like the rev matching. It'll work and help with downshifting even when you're driving slowly (which is what I do most of the time too). Thanks again for watching and sharing!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Great job and nice video. Appreciate the time you took to put this together. Looking forward to more!!
Thanks so much. I appreciate the encouragement as these videos always take me longer than I anticipate. I love sharing them here because I love the feedback (even the constructive criticism -- it all helps me get better). I also love the feedback because it gives me more ideas for what else I can do in and share through these vids.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Whether or not it is a good DD depends on several things:
What is YOUR drive everyday...is it city traffic or light rural traffic or something in between?
Where do you live...Florida or Minnesota?
Is your commute short or long?
Do you have a safe environment to park it in?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
Cool and informative vid

BTW, for those stones that the Shopvac can't get, try using a credit card, or similar, to dislodged them as some can get wedged into the spoiler seam. Yeah, I was perplexed as well...
try using one of those dental hygene hooks with the floss on the end . It always works for me

Clif
Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 PM
MJC611
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

After 6 months and 7,500 miles I agree it is an excellent DD. Mine is a '17 vert., M7, non Z07 with no pebbles. The stock side skirts have also eliminated any noticeable rock chips. Thanks for posting the video
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Whether or not it is a good DD depends on several things:
What is YOUR drive everyday...is it city traffic or light rural traffic or something in between?
Where do you live...Florida or Minnesota?
Is your commute short or long?
Do you have a safe environment to park it in?
Very, very good points. In my case, I'm in Omaha, NE so traffic is never terrible compared to the bigger cities, so stop-and-go is only once every other month or so. I travel about 15 miles to work, and I have a parking space that is almost two stalls wide just outside my office window (so I get to keep an eye on it all the time). Those are factors that certainly make the Z06 -- in my situation -- a good daily driver. Great observation.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by MJC611
After 6 months and 7,500 miles I agree it is an excellent DD. Mine is a '17 vert., M7, non Z07 with no pebbles. The stock side skirts have also eliminated any noticeable rock chips. Thanks for posting the video
Thanks for watching...good to hear there's hope in not getting pebbles lodged in the spoiler. I'm hoping I won't have to worry about that again after the roads get cleaned up here soon.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
AK JOEY
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011gsJoe
Hey, CF. I'm back with part two of my first impressions video. Nothing here is too technical -- you all know the details of Corvettes way better than I do -- so this is more about my perspective on some special features of the Z06 that lend to its drivability on a daily basis including: gearing in the manual transmission, clearance concerns, selective ride control, rev matching, park assist cameras, hill start assist and other features that have impressed me after owning the Z06 for more than two months and 1000 miles of driving. I just wanted to share. Thanks all!

https://youtu.be/sMy0b0FfulI

My 2017 ZO6 M7 will be here in a week and you just showed me some cool stuff I didn't know....So THANK you, and nice job.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Kenpokev
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Exceptionally well-done video and many thanks for posting it! This helps me with my upcoming purchase decision.

Spring is coming soon!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:56 PM
tnvette7
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for a great video. I just got my new '17ZO6 last month and really enjoying this world class car. Although I am semi retired, I use it also as my daily driver. Another point you failed to mention is that they really do not melt in the rain .
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Are you SURE about that?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 AM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by tnharley
...Another point you failed to mention is that they really do not melt in the rain .
Great, great point. Although I don't recommend driving a Corvette in they sleet, they don't melt in that either. I got caught in sleet and de-icer on the roads. The car was filthy in the end, but it cleans up. Thanks for watching!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:40 AM
FF_Z06
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I too DD my '16 Z06. Its actually very liveable day to day - pleasant enough on the freeway in touring, smooth 8AT, Android Play, ventilated seats, useful HUD...and 650hp to boot.

The game changer for me was swapping out the stock runflat Pilots to non-runflat Conti Extremes. It makes this package MUCH more liveable as a DD.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by FF_Z06
I too DD my '16 Z06. Its actually very liveable day to day - pleasant enough on the freeway in touring, smooth 8AT, Android Play, ventilated seats, useful HUD...and 650hp to boot.

The game changer for me was swapping out the stock runflat Pilots to non-runflat Conti Extremes. It makes this package MUCH more liveable as a DD.
That is good to note. My next set of tires will likely be the Conti Extremes. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

What surfaces do z06 get majority rock chips on? I really dont like the idea of the "old lady with plastic on her couches" via xpel all over the thing, im thinking just dront bumper, headlights and rear brake ducts/lower rear fenders.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
What surfaces do z06 get majority rock chips on? I really dont like the idea of the "old lady with plastic on her couches" via xpel all over the thing, im thinking just dront bumper, headlights and rear brake ducts/lower rear fenders.
front bumper and lights, front of hood, both sides of the car...should take care of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....

Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by FF_Z06

Off topic but question since I see you're an android user. Can you get Waze to show up on the NAV screen with Android Play and if so can you use it with normal functionality such as touch screen...etc.

Great thread. ~37k miles of smiles on my Z07. Best DD I've had.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
I asked this same question of Exotic Detail (the Xpel experts here in Omaha). Cory (from Exotic Detail) told me that, for Corvettes, he commonly does a "one-third wrap" where he covers the hood, front fenders and A-pillars. Then he covers the "hips" or rear fenders of the car from the backside of the door all the way back.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:52 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Off topic but question since I see you're an android user. Can you get Waze to show up on the NAV screen with Android Play and if so can you use it with normal functionality such as touch screen...etc.

Great thread. ~37k miles of smiles on my Z07. Best DD I've had.
There was an update a few weeks ago to Android Auto, which now lets you chose another map app...Waze I assume - since it's Google's other mapping software.

I happened to notice it in a '17 Camaro I had as a rental car a few weeks ago. I haven't tried it as I don't have Waze currently installed on my Android, but it should work the same way as Google, but with the user feedback screen, I would think.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (03-28-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....