C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....

Hey, CF. I'm back with part two of my first impressions video. Nothing here is too technical -- you all know the details of Corvettes way better than I do -- so this is more about my perspective on some special features of the Z06 that lend to its drivability on a daily basis including: gearing in the manual transmission, clearance concerns, selective ride control, rev matching, park assist cameras, hill start assist and other features that have impressed me after owning the Z06 for more than two months and 1000 miles of driving. I just wanted to share. Thanks all!

The following 16 users liked this post by 2011gsJoe:
1/4 mile man (03-20-2017), AK JOEY (03-23-2017), Burgy (03-20-2017), chasboland (03-23-2017), Davett225 (03-20-2017), demasterz (03-27-2017), docb (03-27-2017), dpb (03-21-2017), Dr. ice (03-22-2017), Gonzo (03-23-2017), Is2scooby (03-21-2017), JerriVette (03-23-2017), Kenpokev (03-23-2017), Low Ufo (03-27-2017), Mordeth (03-21-2017), Z07kid (03-23-2017) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Another well done video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Davett225
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Great video. I laughed when you mentioned the pebbles on the rear spoiler. I noticed the exact samething after my 1st drive. I suspect its the sticky Cup2 tires. My car is wrapped in Xpel but its still a pain having that happen.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (03-23-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM
testpros
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Very well done video. Thanks for sharing. I personally don't use my Z06 as a daily driver, but I'm with you in that it could easily be one. I love this car.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 148 Posts

Default 2016 Z06 as daily driver

I have a M7 Z06 and it is my daily driver all summer. Its stored in Mn winter months. I have no problems at all with it being a daily driver.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:04 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Good review. I have a 2016 Z06 2LZ (non-Z07) Aero 1. I debated the Z06 without and without Z07 and decided against it.

I have had my car a year or so and have 8500 or so miles on it.

I agree with everything you said.
How are the tires? I suspect they would suck in rain and maybe kicking up rocks, etc. Heck, the ones on my Z06 throw rocks a bunch.

For the daily driver action I would add:

Lots of USB ports for charging.
Apple CarPlay is really cool.
Storage behind the headunit is handy.
Windshield wipers are awesome.
Weather mode in heavy rain - works really well.
Handsfree with the factory stereo works really well.
Adjustable exhaust can really make the car fun or nice n quiet for above calls.
The M7 clutch is great - really smooth.
M7 shifter does take some time to break in (transmission, etc.) - mine really smoothed up after 1500 miles.
Headlights are great
In cold weather the car is really stiff - I will put the car in touring or weather mode and it does a better job with the ruts, etc. Once the car (suspension and tires) warm up - much better.
Good fuel economy

Negatives:
Needs blind spot warning.
Could use a little more headroom.
Gas filler is hosed up.

I know there are plenty more daily driver type stuff. I drove mine to the office today. Will be around 90 miles round trip with a mix of highway and city driving.

Like you - I am a happy customer.

D.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by C5North
Another well done video. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much. I appreciate it!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by Davett225
Great video. I laughed when you mentioned the pebbles on the rear spoiler. I noticed the exact samething after my 1st drive. I suspect its the sticky Cup2 tires. My car is wrapped in Xpel but its still a pain having that happen.
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced the pebbles lodged in the spoiler, but I guess now I know that it just wasn't me. I actually don't have the Cup2s on any longer. I have Michelin Super Sports, but they must throw the gravel just as much. I may have to consider the Xpel wrap too. Thanks for watching!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR-1DUDE
Good review. I have a 2016 Z06 2LZ (non-Z07) Aero 1. I debated the Z06 without and without Z07 and decided against it.

I have had my car a year or so and have 8500 or so miles on it.

I agree with everything you said.
How are the tires? I suspect they would suck in rain and maybe kicking up rocks, etc. Heck, the ones on my Z06 throw rocks a bunch.

For the daily driver action I would add:

Lots of USB ports for charging.
Apple CarPlay is really cool.
Storage behind the headunit is handy.
Windshield wipers are awesome.
Weather mode in heavy rain - works really well.
Handsfree with the factory stereo works really well.
Adjustable exhaust can really make the car fun or nice n quiet for above calls.
The M7 clutch is great - really smooth.
M7 shifter does take some time to break in (transmission, etc.) - mine really smoothed up after 1500 miles.
Headlights are great
In cold weather the car is really stiff - I will put the car in touring or weather mode and it does a better job with the ruts, etc. Once the car (suspension and tires) warm up - much better.
Good fuel economy

Negatives:
Needs blind spot warning.
Could use a little more headroom.
Gas filler is hosed up.

I know there are plenty more daily driver type stuff. I drove mine to the office today. Will be around 90 miles round trip with a mix of highway and city driving.

Like you - I am a happy customer.

D.
Great, great stuff here! Thank you so much for watching and contributing with the comment. I had planned to include a few more comments, a couple of which are on your list, but you make some extra great points too -- some I haven't experienced, but I will check them all out after reading your list. If you don't mind, I may use some of this information in a future vlog.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Cool and informative vid

BTW, for those stones that the Shopvac can't get, try using a credit card, or similar, to dislodged them as some can get wedged into the spoiler seam. Yeah, I was perplexed as well...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 AM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by sTz
Cool and informative vid

BTW, for those stones that the Shopvac can't get, try using a credit card, or similar, to dislodged them as some can get wedged into the spoiler seam. Yeah, I was perplexed as well...
The shopvac actually didn't work at all. I ended up using a plastic detailing tool to dislodge the stones -- a credit card is a great idea! Looks like this issue is not uncommon. Thanks for watching!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2011gsJoe
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced the pebbles lodged in the spoiler, but I guess now I know that it just wasn't me. I actually don't have the Cup2s on any longer. I have Michelin Super Sports, but they must throw the gravel just as much. I may have to consider the Xpel wrap too. Thanks for watching!
Interesting point - I figured it was the cup tires.

D.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Great, great stuff here! Thank you so much for watching and contributing with the comment. I had planned to include a few more comments, a couple of which are on your list, but you make some extra great points too -- some I haven't experienced, but I will check them all out after reading your list. If you don't mind, I may use some of this information in a future vlog.
Sure

Some more:
Passsmegrs also like having their own AC controls on the right side.
The removable top sure is light.
Brakes are phenomenal - cold, hot, etc.

D.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

The shopvac actually didn't work at all. I ended up using a plastic detailing tool to dislodge the stones -- a credit card is a great idea! Looks like this issue is not uncommon. Thanks for watching!

Did you try an air compressor? Might be able to blue them out. I will check mine today and see if I have any stuck in mine.

Say one more daily driver thing. The D style steering wheel isn't just for track use. The extra room is really nice.

D.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I daily mine and love it. I bought an auto because of traffic in my city. My ZL1 was a manual and stop and go traffic sucked bad. For a daily car the only negative is that people tend to drive more aggressive around you and wear items are more expensive (which I would hope people would expect.)

Even the MPG is decent. I am averaging 17.2 MPG and I drive hard.... were I live it is common for flow of traffic to be 85 - 100 MPH. So making merges and passing I get to use my 650 hp but my MPG suffers.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for a great video which as I feel is as important as those showing performance characteristics. Most of the time you can't find this information when you're researching a vehicle.

How about a video showing your impressions and how to set up and use various options and functions. Everything from MyLink - setting up garage doors, Using the front camera, how you turn it (is there a button), to interepting distances based on the lines that appear, Back-up camera also. Setting up phones Apple or Android, personilization features, things like mirror and lock settings on park or back up. Radio setup for Bass Treble, balance. Does the Z06 have all this stuff like my Cadillacs do. You get the idea.

Thanks again great video
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM
TB427Z06
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 182 Posts

David, thanks for going through many of the Z06 accessary functions. I've owned my car 2 months now and put about 700 miles on it and am still learning how to use all the gadgetry on this car. I have been doing a lot of cruising in the mountains and I am constantly downshifting when I have to slow down for curves or going down steep grades. I have been using the M7 clutch to help with braking. I haven't even tried the rev matching and will have to see how it works next time I go out. I'm not sure what difference it will make because my wife is usually with me, so I'm having to drive very slow, so there is no track type driving involved. Also your Part 1 video in this series, where you went round and round your car with the video gave me a good feel on how the full length side skirts look on the car. I had been debating on whether to put side skirts on for additional protection, but was not a fan of the look. After seeing your car in Laguna Blue from all angles, helped me make my decision to go with full length carbon fiber exposed skirts to match my carbon fiber exposed roof. So thanks for these useful videos!

Get notified of new replies

To Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....

Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Sure

Some more:
Passsmegrs also like having their own AC controls on the right side.
The removable top sure is light.
Brakes are phenomenal - cold, hot, etc.

D.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Did you try an air compressor? Might be able to blue them out. I will check mine today and see if I have any stuck in mine.

Say one more daily driver thing. The D style steering wheel isn't just for track use. The extra room is really nice.

D.
I ended up using a plastic detail tool to gently pry them out. The flat-bottom steering wheel is also another great driver-friendly feature for sure. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM
2011gsJoe
Pro

Originally Posted by mjdart
Thanks for a great video which as I feel is as important as those showing performance characteristics. Most of the time you can't find this information when you're researching a vehicle.

How about a video showing your impressions and how to set up and use various options and functions. Everything from MyLink - setting up garage doors, Using the front camera, how you turn it (is there a button), to interepting distances based on the lines that appear, Back-up camera also. Setting up phones Apple or Android, personilization features, things like mirror and lock settings on park or back up. Radio setup for Bass Treble, balance. Does the Z06 have all this stuff like my Cadillacs do. You get the idea.

Thanks again great video
This is great feedback! I plan to dedicate separate videos to illustrate how to do some of the very things you mentioned. I had forgotten about the MyLink and even the bluetooth...these will be great things to give me more practice (and have more fun) with creating the videos. Thanks so much for watching and your feedback!

Quick Reply: Can a 2016 Corvette Z06 be a good daily driver? My impressions....