C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:51 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaZX14r
Needed two new front tires....normal stock Michelin.....they let me visit the process in the shop..began at 100 pm removing front wheels..no problem....

Took 35 minutes each to remove worn tires from stock rims...then the fun began...I left at 500pm and the tires would not pop and fit the rims...they tried sitting them in the sun, a heat gun, beating on them, putting them in the tire balancing machine, wedges, prybars....5 technicians came and went and 3 men worked full time trying to get them to pop and final fit properly...lots of lubricant was used.....took videos with my cell and they worked hard and diligently...my tire front end mechanic has 38 years on alignment experience alone....even the GSM was heavily involved...no go.

They said they are all very difficult to get them to pop on Z06 Vettes, however mine was and is exceptionally difficult to get fully fitted to the stock rim.

Anyone else seen or experienced this difficulty with their Z06's?

NW

Show these videos to your dealer!

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 03-25-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

The Hunter Revolution way to mount the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5IaOz6LqxM#t=3.115604

Last edited by wrecker3; 03-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I had the rear cup tires replaced under warranty and the Corvette mechanic could not get them to seal. The shop sent them down the road to a motorsports shop that sells all sorts of oversize wheels and tires for trucks. They had a machine that made short work of getting the tires sealed. With the latest and greatest machine the job is a piece of cake.

Bill

For those of you in the Charlotte, NC area, Bill is referring to CS Motorsports at 3214 S. New Hope Rd, Gastonia. They have the latest Hunter tire changer and road force balance equipment. More importantly, they know how to use the equipment for Z06 tires.

They have mounted and balanced 3 sets for me. As an example, I took them a set of newly mounted MPSS on stock wheels performed by a national chain over the course of several days. The wheels had an abnormal amount of weights. They dismounted the tires, removed 32 ounces of Murphy's wheel lubricant, cleaned up the tires and wheels, remounted and road force balanced. The finished product had one or two weights per wheel. Their prices are very reasonable. The now get all of my Z06 tire work.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM
MRink79553
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Feel your pain

Been there done that, went to TWO different "Top" National Tire Centers, both called ahead of time and said No Problem mounting the tires on a 2016 Z06.......Both instances over 4+ hours with no luck.

Number one place to get done is Tire Rack in my humble opinion. In/Out just as with any other tire mount on any other car.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 AM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mounting the tires is not the issue. They go on to the wheels just like any other tire. It has nothing to do with "Corvette". It's just a wheel and a tire. There is no reason that the wheel should ever be damaged. I have 3 different tire machines and the old school Hunter does these all day long. The challenge with the Z06 tires is getting them to seat the bead.
The following users liked this post:
shakeydog (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro
Mounting the tires is not the issue. They go on to the wheels just like any other tire. It has nothing to do with "Corvette". It's just a wheel and a tire. There is no reason that the wheel should ever be damaged. I have 3 different tire machines and the old school Hunter does these all day long. The challenge with the Z06 tires is getting them to seat the bead.
Lol.... uhhhhh ya. Seating the bead is the problem and it is part of mounting the tires. It is a problem with the C7 and has been recognized as such for some time now. Plenty of rims have been damaged.

So glad you solved this problem so quickly, whereas it is still recognized by tire installers across NA as a problem.

Lol... mounting the tire is not the issue, seating the bead is. Glad we cleared that up.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
Lol.... uhhhhh ya. Seating the bead is the problem and it is part of mounting the tires. It is a problem with the C7 and has been recognized as such for some time now. Plenty of rims have been damaged.

So glad you solved this problem so quickly, whereas it is still recognized by tire installers across NA as a problem.

Lol... mounting the tire is not the issue, seating the bead is. Glad we cleared that up.
You clearly have never used a tire machine and I have not solved any problem. I just do this everyday. Mounting a C7 tire onto the wheel is not an issue. That is the easy part. The tire installer in my shop weighs 105 pounds and does it all day long using the old style machine. These posts of it taking 5 guys and all this struggling is just poor training. Seating the beads requires C02. Done.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

These posts of it taking 5 guys and all this struggling is just poor training.
Agreed.
It is absolutely unacceptable for any Chevy dealer to have a problem with this.
This is where GM should make damn sure their dealerships have the proper tools to carry out repairs and provide service.

When I was a kid, I worked at the biggest tire center in L.A. for a few years.
To do the job, it required skill, experience, and having a certain touch when it comes to mating tires to wheels.
We were paid hourly, along with a percentage of sales...we were fast, REALLY fast.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:25 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

You clearly have never used a tire machine and I have not solved any problem. I just do this everyday. Mounting a C7 tire onto the wheel is not an issue. That is the easy part. The tire installer in my shop weighs 105 pounds and does it all day long using the old style machine. These posts of it taking 5 guys and all this struggling is just poor training. Seating the beads requires C02. Done.
You clearly HAVE NOT changed a tire on a Z. Having my own and having to have the tires changed, I can state clearly that there was a great difficulty finding someone to guarantee me a price and guaranteeing no damage. I spoke with two installers with the Hunter, both of whom stated that the tires would not be installed at normal pricing and both of whom would not guarantee that the rims would not be damaged during installation. They were very quick to acknowledge standard policy and that accidents do occur. Looking at videos of the Hunter in use (which I was nice enough to e-mail to people when seeking the right installer), even they concede that there is a trick and was a learning curve to installing this tire.... even on the machine.

Nothing worse than people that jump into threads with nothing to contribute but to tell us how much they have done and how easy it is... when the mass majority have real world experience in trying to get the tires changed, and or repaired, first hand.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
here is what a tire shop used out near Ely,Nevada. This is used by companies that mount truck tires.

Put the shaped nozzle at the bead and pull the trigger, boatload of air comes out assisting the air supply to seat the tire bead.
In the old days we just used a little shot of starting fluid and tossed a match at it. Scared the crap out of the newbies. Got to admit those bead blasters are a better way. Not nearly as entertaining though.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:19 AM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are correct sir. Kinda makes you wonder if you really want those 5 guys working on your car period.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Dealerships are for selling cars, and parts.

I already know a guy who knows how to install low profile tires. It's about the experience, malice, and tricks.
sunsalem (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Bobert
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went through this with a 2016 Z06 that I purchased a few weeks ago trying to get a new right front tire installed. Went to Tire Rack and had them send it to me. Took it to the installers that I have been using for over 20 years (they are Tire Rack approved) and watched 3 guys try to get the tire to set the bead for 3 hours. Finally, I had them put the old tire back on the car which surprisingly took only a couple of minutes.

I called Tire Rack and they sent me another tire and I sent back the first one. Tire rack was great about all of this! I took that tire to Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly, Virginia and watched them with even better equipment struggle getting the tire to mount and take the bead. They charged me $50 to mount and balance which after they got done looked like a bargain.

I have owned Corvettes since 1977, currently have 8 in my collection and run Bridgestone RF on my 2013 GS and on my 2008 Z06. I have never seen such a tire mounting issue in my life!!! I am shocked at how much effort it takes to mount the Michelin's. When my rears are gone in a few thousand miles..I will say bye bye to the Michelin RF and hopefully Bridgestone will make the tire in the size we need and I will install them or I will put on a set of Continentals....

I really would like to see how they do this at the factory. With the amount of tires they do each day I have to believe that some method exists that is better than the videos that are listed above for setting the bead!

Bobert

Last edited by Bobert; 03-27-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Maybe someone who will be going thru BG could check into it.
My guess is it is done before the wheel even gets to BG.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

^^^ The wheels and tires come mounted when they arrive at BG assembly.
sunsalem (03-27-2017)
Old 08-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Thunder80
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts

4 days and I still haven't been able to have my Chevy dealer get my new front tires M&B for our 2017 GS Collector M&B ....................... 4 days What's up with how to get these done and hold air.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

First, in order to avoid ridicule, I must acknowledge it’s a necro thread…..
but it must still be a relevant topic

Based on earlier reading, your best bet is to take it to tire shop that deals with cars like ours. Note the type of Hunter Tire machine referenced. Call around and ask if they have that type of machine. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires

Old 08-01-2023, 02:06 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
First, in order to avoid ridicule, I must acknowledge it’s a necro thread…..
but it must still be a relevant topic

Based on earlier reading, your best bet is to take it to tire shop that deals with cars like ours. Note the type of Hunter Tire machine referenced. Call around and ask if they have that type of machine. Good luck.
My local Discount store has had no trouble at all in the past several years with mounting both new tires as well as dismounting and remounting after puncture repairs. Just takes accumulated skill and experience to get it done. Back a half dozen years or more ago, I was having new MPSS ZPs installed on the front wheels of my ZR1 in January. Bad timing. The cold weather made it very difficult. After an hour of struggling with no success, they told me to go home and wait. An hour later, they got it done. They said they laid the tires in the sun to warm them up.
CRS1962 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 02:34 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

^^ Discount Tire FTW
CRS1962 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:32 PM
2001PewterWS6
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Another reason why I switched to Continental Extreme Sports... They mount right up???

Quick Reply: Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires