C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires

Needed two new front tires....normal stock Michelin.....they let me visit the process in the shop..began at 100 pm removing front wheels..no problem....

Took 35 minutes each to remove worn tires from stock rims...then the fun began...I left at 500pm and the tires would not pop and fit the rims...they tried sitting them in the sun, a heat gun, beating on them, putting them in the tire balancing machine, wedges, prybars....5 technicians came and went and 3 men worked full time trying to get them to pop and final fit properly...lots of lubricant was used.....took videos with my cell and they worked hard and diligently...my tire front end mechanic has 38 years on alignment experience alone....even the GSM was heavily involved...no go.

They said they are all very difficult to get them to pop on Z06 Vettes, however mine was and is exceptionally difficult to get fully fitted to the stock rim.

Anyone else seen or experienced this difficulty with their Z06's?

NW
Old 03-23-2017, 07:12 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Were they trying to mount 18" tires? Hahahahahaha
The following users liked this post:
42ZED (08-03-2023)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 PM
LuckyC7Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes sir I did and they totally jacked my wheels up!!! I'm actually going to get them powder coated black seeing that I wanted black anyways.
I was there from noon till 6:00pm they ended up taking them to another shop and came right back in 15mins mounted!!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes very common problem with the Z06 tires. I do these all the time and the only way I have found to seat them is with C02. I have several tanks in the shop just for these tires. Sometimes it will take an entire tank to seat 4 tires. And if it's cold outside forget about it.
need-for-speed (08-01-2023)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Took my dealer 5 hours to replace all 4, telling me he had 3 guys on each tire at one point in time. I had negotiated a price before the install and he guaranteed me there would be no damage to the rims; a price he later told me would never be seen again for any Z06 install.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
yetman
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes. Similar experience. When I bought my Z06 on a Saturday in February, on the way home, the right front started losing pressure. The next day (Sunday), it was down even more, so I took it to the dealership to drop it off for Monday service. Monday morning, it was flat. They had to order the tire (delivered next day).

It took the service department nearly a full day, to get the tire to seat properly. I showed up to pick it up and the tire was still not on the rim completely - I had to wait another hour.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had the rear cup tires replaced under warranty and the Corvette mechanic could not get them to seal. The shop sent them down the road to a motorsports shop that sells all sorts of oversize wheels and tires for trucks. They had a machine that made short work of getting the tires sealed. With the latest and greatest machine the job is a piece of cake.

Bill
Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

My tire guy at Advance Performance Tire and Wheel in Tampa took just over an hour to mount 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports runflats on new stock rims. They also road forced balanced them as well. They were perfectly done without a scratch and there wasn't mounting goo all over them either. These guys also mounted my tires for my centerlock rims for my Huracan. Anyone looking for the best tire mounters in Tampa need to go to these guys.

Last edited by breakskeet; 03-23-2017 at 08:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by breakskeet:
2fastnow (03-25-2017), Bad Dad (03-26-2017), nvydvr (03-23-2017), richie15 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I've read about these problems a lot - however a couple different shops in my area haven't had any problem!!

I've got a Z06/Z07 that came with Sport Cup 2 ZP's.

About 2 months ago I got a new set of Sport Cup 2 ZP's for tracking the car. I ordered from Tire Rack and they shipped them to my local Tire Kingdom. The shop called and told me the tires were in, so I loaded up my pickup with a set of wheels with run out Sport Cup 2's on them and dropped them off. About an hour later they called and said the wheels were ready.

I got a new set of wheels from another forum member, and bought a set of sensors from another member. I needed a set of wheels with street tires so I bought a set of Pilot Super Sport ZP's. Three days ago on Monday I threw the stuff into my pickup and took the wheels, sensors, and tires to my local Discount Tire. The manager there is a friend that drives a C6 Z06, and his wife has a C7 Z51 vert. I dropped off the wheels and went shopping with my wife and about 45 minutes later the shop called and said they were all mounted up. This Discount Tire has done a bunch of C6 Z06 and ZR1 tires for me (all OE wheels and tire sizes) - no problem with any of the jobs.

These recent ones for the C7 Z06 have been OE wheels and tires - and both times were all four front/rear wheels, and they were mounted up at both places with no problem.

Bottom line - I haven't experienced any of the problems others are having getting OE tires mounted onto OE wheels. I don't know whether it's the shops, the guys that work there, the equipment they use, or what? But they sure haven't had the problems I have read about that others are having!!

Old 03-23-2017, 08:42 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

It sounds like having the proper equipment doesn't hurt. Don't have a Z06 yet but asked the firestone guy about mounting tires on the Z06 since I've read about son any problems moufnting tires. They have one of the high end hunter machines and a lot of line pressure. He said he's done it before with no problems.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You really have to do a good bit of research before picking any tire shop. I had new tires installed on brand new wheels this past Tuesday. Had two recommendations for the shop, and it turned out to be a great experience. Had the tires on in 1 1/2 hours, no scratches!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

^^^

Hunter machine. My local Vette dealer has one and mounts and balances large, low-profile Corvette tires all day with no problems, issues, damage or drama. When I bring my track tires there for swapping they let me watch and it is done in short order. They charge more than most places ($40/tire) but it is worth it as there is no worry, no damage, no issues and no wait. Find a Hunter machine with someone that knows how to use it. Easy off-easy on.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaZX14r
Needed two new front tires....normal stock Michelin.....they let me visit the process in the shop..began at 100 pm removing front wheels..no problem....

Took 35 minutes each to remove worn tires from stock rims...then the fun began...I left at 500pm and the tires would not pop and fit the rims...they tried sitting them in the sun, a heat gun, beating on them, putting them in the tire balancing machine, wedges, prybars....5 technicians came and went and 3 men worked full time trying to get them to pop and final fit properly...lots of lubricant was used.....took videos with my cell and they worked hard and diligently...my tire front end mechanic has 38 years on alignment experience alone....even the GSM was heavily involved...no go.

They said they are all very difficult to get them to pop on Z06 Vettes, however mine was and is exceptionally difficult to get fully fitted to the stock rim.

NW
With all due respect, they don't know WTF they are doing.
Be sure they don't damage your wheels!
If you can, collect your car and go somewhere else.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default You need to put more air than what is leaking out

here is what a tire shop used out near Ely,Nevada. This is used by companies that mount truck tires.

Put the shaped nozzle at the bead and pull the trigger, boatload of air comes out assisting the air supply to seat the tire bead.
Is2scooby (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here are some quotes from previous posts just in this thread:

1. Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires
  2. Took my dealer 5 hours to replace all 4, telling me he had 3 guys on each tire at one point in time.
  3. I took it to the dealership to drop it off for Monday service.
  4. the Corvette mechanic could not get them to seal.
Easy to see that most dealerships are not good tire shops!!!

There are some that can do okay with our large tires, but most Chevy dealerships just can't do a decent job.

I can understand maybe going to the Chevy dealer for warranty service on a tire, but otherwise go to a real tire shop.

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:28 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The tire shop I use has a very large Chevrolet dealer nearby that sells boatloads of Corvettes and the Dealer doesn't even try to install them. Simply sends them a block away to the shop I use and they send them back an hour later. There are those that can and there are those that can't. If you have found those that can you are good to go. If you have found those that can't go somewhere else.
shakeydog (03-27-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 PM
nvydvr
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it possible to replace the tires without damaging the wheels? I suppose having it done at the dealership is the best option so they'll be responsible.

Get notified of new replies

To Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires

Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by nvydvr
Is it possible to replace the tires without damaging the wheels?
Yes.

I suppose having it done at the dealership is the best option so they'll be responsible.
NO, it isn't.

Dealers fnck up more wheels and other parts while performing services than any other source by FAR.
And if they do, they don't always 'fess up to it and will often blame the customer for the damage.
Ask me how I know....

Last edited by sunsalem; 03-24-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:52 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaZX14r

NW
I've had 2 tires go down after picking up nails. A tire shop near me has patched them in a half hour. As mentioned, there are some that can and some that can't.

Last edited by docb; 03-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
shakeydog (03-27-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

Hunter Revolution is the Best tire changer for Corvette tires.

Last edited by wrecker3; 03-24-2017 at 10:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wrecker3:
JOEHAWK (03-27-2017), SpeedyD (03-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Spent 5 hours with dealer mechanics trying to mount front tires