C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is a Road Force Balancer really necessary ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:39 AM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Is a Road Force Balancer really necessary ?

Morning (EST),

I am about to replace my Original tires (Z06) with a new set and wanted some opinions on whether or not I should have them balanced using a Road Force Balancer or would the standard balancing be sufficient ? I'm under the impression that the original wheels/tires are all Road Forced at the manufacturer.

Just wanted to see what you members have resorted too. Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Having done both, the road force balanced wheels/tires had fewer wheel weights and smoother ride.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

These are expensive tires. Don't cheap out on balancing.
The following users liked this post:
nytrorcr (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:20 AM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

GM considers it essential that all dealers have the essential Road Force Balancing equipment, so you should do it.

Many changes in the design of new vehicles highlight how important properly balanced and low Road Force tires are to ride quality. Advanced braking and stability systems, along with stricter fuel economy requirements, have led to the increased use of lower rolling resistance tires with a decreased contact patch. Suspension systems and tires also are getting stiffer. In addition, many modern tire/wheel assemblies can weigh as much as 80 lbs. as the customer demand grows for larger wheels in sizes of 20-inches and 22-inches. Using the Hunter Road Force Balancer (Fig. 8) will ensure that the tire/wheel assembly meets GM specifications prior to mounting the assembly back on the vehicle.

What Produces Road Force?

Previously, tire/wheel assemblies were measured for “static balance,” which allowed for weights to be placed on the inside and outside of the wheel flange/rim surface. While this is the first step in correcting a vibration condition, vehicles also need the Road Force checked. Road Force is a measurement of both sidewall stiffness and how much the assembly is “egg shaped.”
Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 480 Posts

These are very heavy wheels AND heavy tyres. To not have them undergo a full road force balance; (and make sure you always ask for a FULL balance), is stupid IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
capevettes (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM
TAK2TRK
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Depending on how hard you work the tires, they may slip. Even with nice knurling. Balancing is important, but make sure to mark you tires if you track the car. For street use, its probably worth it to get a prefect balance. For track use,... you might be balancing after events anyway, just a basic balance is more than fine, as its only going to be perfect for about 3 laps .
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Most people don't get road force balancing done on their tire/wheels as most tire shops don't have the equipment. Most shops do have a dynamic balancing machine which works very well if the operator is interested in doing a good job.

Bill
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I had the tires mounted using the standard system and the car rides extremely well, like before the change....... this is even after I saw that my right side front AND rear rims were slightly bent (radial), barely noticeable when we spun the wheel however ( I had them spin the wheel and original tire before they removed the old tires). Now my question is do I still get a Road Force Balance under the thought that it could get even better, or the ole " if it ain't broke don't fix it " theory? Btw, thanks for your replys, now looking for more .
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

With a ZP tire, I'm not sure how much impact a road force balancer actually has. It's a better tool if it is available, but considering the sidewalls are extremely short to begin with and on top of that they are mostly steel, it seems like a road force would help identify a defective tire but not have a big impact on the actual balance.

Last edited by schaibaa; 03-25-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

hunter machine,road force balance.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:29 PM
Kaged
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default It helps - at high speed

I had a set of MPSS put on the stock wheels when I took the Z06 out to the track in January, just in case it rained.
The installer did a normal dynamic balance and it felt fine at normal road speeds (up to 80+ mph). When I got on the track, I found that it started vibrating at about 115 mph and by 120 it was not pleasant.
Had the front tires road force balanced and took it out to the track a week ago. Cost me $40 for the 2 front tires. Vibration is gone, and car felt great.
I do agree with Bill D, that a good technician on a dynamic balance machine could likely do as good a job as the force balance machine does.
Still getting up to speed on the characteristics of the car and not braking as agressively as I could. So the slippage of the tire on the rim may show itself at some point. Hasn't so far.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:44 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

If road force balancing is available, take advantage of it. An independent shop near me has one and my new tires were road force balanced.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

More new bullshit to jack up the price of service. The old method is completely adequate.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:37 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

if road force balancing is available I think it's great. Otherwise, as Bill stated, a good spin balancer with good operator can do a great job balancing wheels.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
More new bullshit to jack up the price of service. The old method is completely adequate.
Whether the actual equipment needs to cost a disproportionate amount more (R&D, govt safety regs, and inflation are valid) than old equipment is a good topic but new technology and new processes are hardly bullshit. Try applying that mentality next time you need a new heart valve or need to overcome cancer. Leeches were a lot less expensive, right? Save money!!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:37 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Whether the actual equipment needs to cost a disproportionate amount more (R&D, govt safety regs, and inflation are valid) than old equipment is a good topic but new technology and new processes are hardly bullshit. Try applying that mentality next time you need a new heart valve or need to overcome cancer. Leeches were a lot less expensive, right? Save money!!
A Corvette is not a heart and the mechanic ain't a heart surgeon. Balancing tires ain't brain surgery or rocket science. Most tires don't need any balancing. It has been my experience that most of the out of balance is in the wheel. Road force balancing in that case will make absolutely no difference. Last tires I had balanced were using road force, Toyo R888R on Enkei race wheels. They took 3/4 ounce total for the four.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

A Corvette is not a heart and the mechanic ain't a heart surgeon. Balancing tires ain't brain surgery or rocket science. Most tires don't need any balancing. It has been my experience that most of the out of balance is in the wheel. Road force balancing in that case will make absolutely no difference. Last tires I had balanced were using road force, Toyo R888R on Enkei race wheels. They took 3/4 ounce total for the four.
Apparently analogies are lost on you, huh.

I'm glad your one or two personal experiences are a good enough sample size for you to apply to the rest of the world.

This has not been my experience at all and appreciate any advancement in improving the quality of my automotive experience and I am willing to pay up for it.

Maybe you're just cheap and don't mind a substandard experience as a result. Don't take that the wrong way, plenty of people like that.

Get notified of new replies

To Is a Road Force Balancer really necessary ?

Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

I'm guessin' you ain't seen a track or 150 mph . . . ever.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Road force balancing is good for measuring runout. You can then match mount to get it within spec and the machine tells you right where to mark tire/wheel. In these cases, it is a very good diagnostic tool if there is a problem. But I agree that if the guy mounting the tires knows what he is doing and there are no problems then spin balancing is really all that is needed.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:17 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I'm guessin' you ain't seen a track or 150 mph . . . ever.
Do not doubt Higgs... Higgs Boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is the quantum excitation of the Higgs field, a fundamental field of crucial importance to particle physics theory first suspected to exist in the 1960s. He is everywhere. Without him, you would not exist.

Quick Reply: Is a Road Force Balancer really necessary ?