C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZO6 track tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM
John Weaklem
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 track tires

I purchased a stock set of ZO6 Wheels so I can set it up for track day what is the best size and brand tire to run in the rear for road course and drag strip more for the road course but I would like to have better traction on the drag strip in one package could you guys help me out with this with your experience again this is more for road course and maybe one or two days at the drag strip. I heard that 345 rub so is it best to go with stock 335.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

There isn't a happy medium with what you are looking for. On a road course and the street you want the best handling tire on the rear of the car to provide stability. In drag racing you want a tire that provides maximum grip and that usually means flexible sidewalls and less handling capability. In other words when it comes to turning they don't provide any lateral grip.

I find it interesting you didn't ask about the front tires. They are important as well and it is always best to run similar brand and model tires front and rear. When you drive into a corner at speed you don't want the front tires to start under steering as soon as you turn the steering wheel.

Based on your question it sounds like you are a track day neophyte so I suggest you go with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports to run on the stock wheels. They will give you the best balance and grip for what you are going to do. If it is raining on your track day they will also work well in the wet. Unlike Drag Strips Road Courses operate in the rain, if you don't want to use the time you paid for the track operator or group running the event won't care, they already have your money.

Bill

Quick Reply: ZO6 track tires