C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My 2017 Z06 is a week away! Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Psyence
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My 2017 Z06 is a week away! Advice?

As the title says the dealer has informed me that the vehicle is a week away from arriving (I've been waiting since spring of 2016 as my first order couldn't be placed due to the dealer not getting an allocation)... I finally got got one on the 17's and placed my deposit this past November. It has been a very long wait!

Needless to say I am very excited for this to happen. Not only is this my first Chevy vehicle, its also the first car I've ever owned (always had trucks)!

I wanted to know if there are any common issues that would require someone to return the vehicle to have repaired or replaced under warranty I should be looking for prior to driving off the lot? I am assuming I will have too much excitement to notice anything on my own while I am there, lol.

Maybe this could also be a sticky for any new owners to help them catch things before they pull off the lot and have to bring the vehicle back when they are purchasing from a dealer that isn't local?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Follow the manual. Treat it with respect. Learn the car. Enjoy the car.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Drive it like you stole it, but don't miss the 500 mile oil change!
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Psyence
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I am more saying cosmetic type items... things missing, etc... Not so much after I have the car. I am assuming it will run perfectly.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Psyence
As the title says the dealer has informed me that the vehicle is a week away from arriving (I've been waiting since spring of 2016 as my first order couldn't be placed due to the dealer not getting an allocation)... I finally got got one on the 17's and placed my deposit this past November. It has been a very long wait!

Needless to say I am very excited for this to happen. Not only is this my first Chevy vehicle, its also the first car I've ever owned (always had trucks)!

I wanted to know if there are any common issues that would require someone to return the vehicle to have repaired or replaced under warranty I should be looking for prior to driving off the lot? I am assuming I will have too much excitement to notice anything on my own while I am there, lol.

Maybe this could also be a sticky for any new owners to help them catch things before they pull off the lot and have to bring the vehicle back when they are purchasing from a dealer that isn't local?

Thanks.
I picked up my 17 Z06 (Z07) a couple months ago and I had a custom order as well. Do xpel or some type of paint protection right away!!! I even installed bigger splash guards and I still have scuff and chips in the paint. I only have 2400 miles on it. So just get xpel as soon as possible. I went with clearastic for the sides and mirrors and gonna get xpel on the front
Old 03-25-2017, 07:22 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

It's just a car... Follow the 500 mile break-in recommendation and you're good to go
Old 03-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Drive fast take chances .... but be careful ... enjoy
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Advice? A few items to consider:

You should read the owner's manual and familiarize yourself with the car's operations. Boba Fett (above) is absolutely correct.

Pay close attention to the break-in period and the tight restrictions therein. Pay close attention to your oil change intervals.

Before you panic about something - stay calm and check the manual first.

Get the car's flanks and rear brake duct sections covered with something like XPEL.

Learn the car's limits SLOWLY and gradually. And don't (seriously, don't) reach for those limits until the car is past its related break-in stage(s). This car has a supercar's performance envelope. Respect its limits; they are there.

When in doubt, check back here for some feedback.

Befriend the service manager at your local dealership (there are some excellent dealerships and some that are, at best, meh). Make sure the service manager and his/her staff is/are very familiar with the car and its service needs.

Enjoy the car !!!

Last edited by HighBeta; 03-25-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:26 AM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Definitely protect the cars paint. When I picked mine up, I had a 30 mile drive home. Upon arriving home I noticed the brake duct area had been dinged up already. Like many others will also agree, get some type of paint protection. You can use blue painters tape to temporarily cover the areas that are prone to chipping. Take it easy until you learn your car! This thing is a BEAST and you can get in trouble pretty quick! Other than that, congrats on your new ride!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:57 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Corsa X-Pipe
AFE Cold Air Intake
WCC Lowering Bolts
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM
demasterz
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Prepare for the best car you've ever had
Old 03-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

What ever you do, don't become a typical Corvette Owner, thinking you purchased a car that gives you privileges over other people, that your car is any more special than anybody elses car and is disrespectful of the people who service the cars. When I bought my first Corvette way back in 1972 a mechanic I knew who ran his own shop said "Now you have done it, you became one of those SOBs"."

Bill
Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,834 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What ever you do, don't become a typical Corvette Owner, thinking you purchased a car that gives you privileges over other people, that your car is any more special than anybody elses car and is disrespectful of the people who service the cars.
That's the definition of a "typical Corvette owner"? Not in my experience.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Most places these days probably consider wanting a job done right as being a PITA customer. No, bucko, if i wanted it done half assed i'd do it myself for free in a hurry.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:41 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Congrats.

Have the dealer check rear differential fluid level during PDI. Few new C7's came with low fluid level from factory. I recommend to start with three 20 miles trips and let the car cool down all the way in between each trip. Replace diff fluid at first 500 miles service.

Inspect all cosmetics aspects of the car. Don't sign papers or take delivery unless you are 100% satisfied with the car. If there is anything that needs to be fixed then have them fix it first before signing the paperwork.

Break it in properly. Go up and down with rpm's and gears. Don't hold steady rpms for long highway drives. Follow the Manual basically. Dont drive it like you stole. Good luck and enjoy the car.

Get notified of new replies

To My 2017 Z06 is a week away! Advice?

Quick Reply: My 2017 Z06 is a week away! Advice?