C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Skeptical

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM
thatguy1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skeptical

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and had a question regarding Tad's reply about the cooling fix. For the M7 where has it been 100 degrees this time of year to conduct the test? Is it simulated numbers? I'm having issues believing that the minimal changes made can improve cooling to the level that a pro driver can run a full tank of gas with 100 degree temps when 15' and 16' Z's will go limp with amateur drivers in 85 degree temps.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm on the fence about purchasing a 17' Z M7 and can't pull the trigger because I'm buying it mainly for track use and don't want to be disappointed.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Never mind what Tadge said. Just look at end-user experience.

Pretty much any fast car with a supercharger bolted to it that is designed for general public consumption is going to overheat when driven hard on a race track in 100 degree temperature. You ever see the cooling systems designed on actual race cars? Google "C7R".

If you plan to heavily track any street car, then plan on addressing many things. Tires, brakes,, suspension, cooling, safety would be a good place to start.

That said, the aux radiator, tilted bricks and bigger supercharger cover on the 17 model year have shown to help, as shown by data posted on these forums. But if you are running in very hot weather and plan to run hard, then you should also plan on contacting GSpeed or LG for their full cooling package.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
thatguy1
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Never mind what Tadge said. Just look at end-user experience.

Pretty much any fast car with a supercharger bolted to it that is designed for general public consumption is going to overheat when driven hard on a race track in 100 degree temperature. You ever see the cooling systems designed on actual race cars? Google "C7R".

If you plan to heavily track any street car, then plan on addressing many things. Tires, brakes,, suspension, cooling, safety would be a good place to start.

That said, the aux radiator, tilted bricks and bigger supercharger cover on the 17 model year have shown to help, as shown by data posted on these forums. But if you are running in very hot weather and plan to run hard, then you should also plan on contacting GSpeed or LG for their full cooling package.

Good points, I'm aware of boosted cars overheating I guess my expectations for the Z are a little higher, but in the end a car is a car. I've been looking into cooling upgrades but don't want to void the warranty. I spoke with a salesman at a local dealership and he said any mods will void the warranty or at least give GM an excuse to not honor the warranty. I'm in Texas so temps will be 100+ during the summer so upgrading the cooling isn't really an option if you plan on hitting the track.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:18 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you are going to track in 100+ temp chances are you will not be happy with a Z06 as delivered from the factory. You mentioned you don't want to void your warranty either so cooling mods will not be in your future. Look at some NA cars with robust cooling from the factory.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:58 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Most likely your options are very limited for tracking a production car hard in 100F ambient.

I would still get a 2017 M7. Try it out then if needed go to Gspeed and they will solve your cooling problem.

I wouldn't worry too much when it comes to cooling upgrades and warranty. Extra Cooling actually protects the car. You are not adding HP or changing stock tune. GM (not the dealer) would have to prove that your upgrade had caused a failure.
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (04-04-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 PM
thatguy1
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Most likely your options are very limited for tracking a production car hard in 100F ambient.

I would still get a 2017 M7. Try it out then if needed go to Gspeed and they will solve your cooling problem.

I wouldn't worry too much when it comes to cooling upgrades and warranty. Extra Cooling actually protects the car. You are not adding HP or changing stock tune. GM (not the dealer) would have to prove that your upgrade had caused a failure.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it especially regarding the tune not having to be changed I was wondering about that.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

dont know about anyone else but tracking it in 100 deg heat with a helmet is the last place Id be it would be in the pool

Think some (not op ) expect way too much from these cars, some even have the ac on and complain. Video games are cheaper

Get notified of new replies

To Skeptical

Quick Reply: Skeptical