Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Has anyone went from Z06 to Eray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 09:31 AM
jafo1970
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rackemup
This is soooooo true and quite entertaining.
Sure seems as if the crew who hates on the E-Ray and cheerleads for its "failure" are the same guys who crawled out of their caves to fist pound about how a mid engine engine Corvette would be a huge mistake. How did that prediction work out?
Remember the geniuses who considered personal computers to be a fad and bragged about not knowing how to turn on a PC years ago? Yeah, they had it all figured out didn't they.
Fighting technology is a fools work.
I definitely have seen a lot of hate towards the eray, not only on here but in the FB groups and a few of my friends. Most of the haters are just ignorant and think the eray is all electric. Then there's the Z06s guys who somehow feel like someone is pissing on the Z cause there's a new vette in town, this is very much the case on the FB groups. I get the occasional harassment from friends for having an electric car. Fact is, I was on the Z list with 2 dealers and flat out chose the eray for the street performance here in Wisconsin. With spring and fall temps starting in the 40s and our roads the Z would be more of pain for traction and performance. I also was getting alot of negative feedback on reliability from owners of Zs.
The following 2 users liked this post by jafo1970:
msm859 (05-10-2024), rackemup (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:12 AM
dw886
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Right now the headwind for the E-ray is the lack of production. From the feedback on here, there's been a handful that have gone from Z06 --> E-ray, and have only had positive things to say about making the transition. I haven't seen anyone that moved from Z06 --> E-ray and say that they regretted it. We haven't seen the inverse where people have moved from E-ray --> Z06, but I would infer that's largely due to the fact that there's only like 300 E-rays in existence, about the same amount of Z06 units that GM produces in a week. There are also some on here that have both and E-ray and a Z06, like @m103114 , who would also have great insight.

The E-ray is definitely a change in technology and given what they've been able to accomplish by adding a small battery and drive unit to the font end, I'm guessing this won't be the last time that we see this configuration (as far as we know, they may be doing this in the ZR1, who knows).

Downside (risk) with the E-ray is that it's bleeding edge from a technology standpoint - software running a decoupled electric drive train, more complexity in heating / cooling, and lots of design decisions that external customers don't yet understand (for example, in the Corvette Today video that Jerry posted above, they mention the limits of "Stealth" mode are because they can't run some HVAC, like the front window defrost, so they put in an arbitrary temperature limit where they don't believe customers will need to use HVAC. They were worried about a lackluster cabin climate experience - that was unknown until the podcast AFAIK). It's also the heaviest of the C8 lineup. That said, it has many benefits (AWD potentially extending the driving season, instant torque - aka faster acceleration from low speed, tweener ride [stiffer than Z51 but softer than Z06]). This basically amounts to the fact that if you want all-around performance ("swiss army knife") and are not tracking the car, the E-ray is probably the right choice if you can get one. If you plan on tracking the car, the Z06 ("scalpel" - "track weapon") is a better option and wins that battle each time.

The answer to this thread is that the only real answer depends on where you plan to use the car. Both are unreal for their intended purposes. Define your intent and choose one that suits where you plan to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by dw886:
3LZR21U (05-13-2024), rackemup (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM
rackemup
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo1970
I definitely have seen a lot of hate towards the eray, not only on here but in the FB groups and a few of my friends. Most of the haters are just ignorant and think the eray is all electric. Then there's the Z06s guys who somehow feel like someone is pissing on the Z cause there's a new vette in town, this is very much the case on the FB groups. I get the occasional harassment from friends for having an electric car. Fact is, I was on the Z list with 2 dealers and flat out chose the eray for the street performance here in Wisconsin. With spring and fall temps starting in the 40s and our roads the Z would be more of pain for traction and performance. I also was getting alot of negative feedback on reliability from owners of Zs.
This post is spot on and well stated.
I am as far from a green weenie environmental type as one can get and do not believe in the C02 "Global Warming" BS with no need or desire for a car that plugs in.
The E-Ray is not some environmentally mandated or incentivised platform that many of us despise mainly for the reason that this crap is being shoved down our throats by a gang of Cal Berkley whack jobs in DC. I personally am on board with the hybrid blend of ICE and battery powered motors in an AWD performance car with outstanding performance. Good job GM!
The following users liked this post:
dw886 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 10:55 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by rackemup
This post is spot on and well stated.
I am as far from a green weenie environmental type as one can get and do not believe in the C02 "Global Warming" BS with no need or desire for a car that plugs in.
The E-Ray is not some environmentally mandated or incentivised platform that many of us despise mainly for the reason that this crap is being shoved down our throats by a gang of Cal Berkley whack jobs in DC. I personally am on board with the hybrid blend of ICE and battery powered motors in an AWD performance car with outstanding performance. Good job GM!
How do you really feel? Not sure why anyone would despise a car that was faster and got better gas mileage? But you are the reason that pretty much every first sentence in introducing the ERAY was that "this is not for mileage". And sadly GM's fear of people with your belief is why they made the ERAY so conservative - unlike every other modern hybrid sports car - that is a PHEV and gets much better mpg while also being much quicker. Quite frankly I would be happy with a Corvette powered by a flux capacitor if it has the performance.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Hmm, I get zero flak from EV haters once I tell them the E-Ray gets no better mpg than my prior 2020 C8 Z51. In fact, when asked by a poster what mpg I got, when I said same as my 2020 C8 Z51 they wanted an exact number. So at the last fill-up added the gallons of gas I bought from day 1 until my 1274 miles at that one. It was 17.4 mpg. That is what I said I got with my 2020 C8 Z51 between 17 and 18! I keep a spreadsheet with info at each fill-up.

An even more interesting number I tripped across looking at the energy data GM supplies. Had never zero's the trip data from the start. Don't use trips for anything. It showed how much electric energy I used, how much I saved and now much gasoline I saved (however they calculate the #.) In ~1100 miles at the time I save 1.2 gallons!

I use the extra otherwise wasted braking, coasting and idling (yep, I find Stop/Start is fine and don't turn it off) to accelerate faster! I don't Track but do drive aggressively. Don't use Interstates. Most of my driving is back rural roads, many stops, turns ~30 miles to town and ~30 miles back. Have lots of fun. That is what the E-Ray is all about.

It I Tracked would buy the Z06, that is where it bests the E-Ray. But for aggressive street driving, the E-Ray shines. Yep, bests the Z06 to 60 and can match it's 1/4-mile speeds. It does that as it did the Ferrari and Lambo in the Jason Cammisa MC'd Hagerty video, buy jumping out several car lengths at launch. The launch is very aggressive MUCH more than my 2020 C8 Z51. Yep for street driving that aggressive acceleration is fun! Have had cars that needed very high rpm, fun if racing not so much on the street. To Each Their Own.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-10-2024 at 11:14 AM.
mmthomas (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 11:11 AM
rackemup
Racer

Originally Posted by msm859
How do you really feel? Not sure why anyone would despise a car that was faster and got better gas mileage? But you are the reason that pretty much every first sentence in introducing the ERAY was that "this is not for mileage". And sadly GM's fear of people with your belief is why they made the ERAY so conservative - unlike every other modern hybrid sports car - that is a PHEV and gets much better mpg while also being much quicker. Quite frankly I would be happy with a Corvette powered by a flux capacitor if it has the performance.
My "belief"? WTF belief is that exactly? I am 100% on board with the E-Ray and plan to purchase with absolutely no concern about gas mileage or any of the other crap the EPA pencil necks obsess about. At the same time I could care less how fast a Tesla model whatever is.
You might want to keep in mind as you are passing judgement on others here that we all do not live in the subburbs with multi car garages outfitted with all the latest whiz bang electrical accomodations for "plug in" vehicles.
Hopefully this has ansered your condescending question about how I "really feel".
Old 05-10-2024, 11:18 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,215 Posts

When GM makes a plaid version of a corvette, THAT'S going to be insane!
msm859 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 11:18 AM
mmthomas
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
z06 is far from perfect either. You can post where ever you want lol. I won't get offended. Not sure why you are. Again i don't hate the ERAY, i am making opinions on it. I was going to put my name on the list but in the end i wanted to have the z06. If i wanted to modify a corvette, i'd modify my C7Z, which i am most likely doing during this winter.

This is a discussion and some people voice their opinion.

All GM engines have either a ticking noise or a sewing machine noise.
Opinions are like )*(, everyone has one!

some like to spew their opinion at every opportunity…not generally helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by mmthomas:
JerryU (05-10-2024), rackemup (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:18 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Right. So no need to get offended. In the end we all technically have a car made by the "same people".

Old 05-10-2024, 12:51 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,738 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo1970
I definitely have seen a lot of hate towards the eray, not only on here but in the FB groups and a few of my friends. Most of the haters are just ignorant and think the eray is all electric.
The NSX forums are full of folks that sound just like this...Just because someone disagrees with your purchase decision doesn't make them a "hater". You paid a bunch of $ for a car you like, yet the overall market doesn't seem to share your enthusiasm, and you're not happy about it, I get it, but that's reality...And expecting everyone that posts in the ERay section of the Forum to agree with you and feed your confirmation bias is unrealistic. If you like your car that's all that matters.
smithers (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 01:03 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Exactly. And just because i have a z06 doesn't mean i think it is the end all be all of C8's. When the ZR1 debuts i'm sure there's going to be flaws to that as well.

I don't like the gearing in the z06 and the drone. But i got the car for it's engine and i'm glad the engine went into a variant carrying the "z06" badging. That's special whether people agree or not.

The ERAY is great for what it is. I love AWD. My tesla is AWD. Love out digging people at lights or out accelerating people when they won't let me merge etc.

Just wish it had a more special engine and didn't make those spaceship sounds that's all. Nothing wrong with voicing my opinion. And the reason why i kept on with the posts here is because of 1 dude that keeps saying it doesn't exist. No, it exists and it's apparent in every video i have watched. Saying it doesn't exist just makes you sound insane.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:10 PM
dw886
Instructor

If we are really being honest here, it feels like there is a lot of animosity from those that spent hard-earned dollars on Z06 units that aren't sure how to feel about the fact that there's some new technology out there that helped GM to put together a new unit which GM has been touting as the "quickest corvette ever". The same thing happened to this thread as the one on the Z06 forum where a Z06 owner basically started a thread saying the E-ray is most probably a better option for most Corvette buyers. I just personally find it odd that there's so much angst between people that are supposedly fans of the same base vehicle.

I don't think one is better than the other. They each have a place, depending on the owner's intended driving (track VS non-track).
Old 05-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I mean you could say that, but then the same could be said about people who couldn't get on a z06 list or too late to get on one because they inquired late so they got on the ERAY list and was able to get one sooner.

I mean the nickname "second option" for the ERAY might mean something then.

We can trade insults back and forth since there is no perfect C8, yet. We don't know what the ZR1 and/or ZORA would bring.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:33 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,063 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by dw886
If we are really being honest here, it feels like there is a lot of animosity from those that spent hard-earned dollars on Z06 units that aren't sure how to feel about the fact that there's some new technology out there that helped GM to put together a new unit which GM has been touting as the "quickest corvette ever". The same thing happened to this thread as the one on the Z06 forum where a Z06 owner basically started a thread saying the E-ray is most probably a better option for most Corvette buyers. I just personally find it odd that there's so much angst between people that are supposedly fans of the same base vehicle.

I don't think one is better than the other. They each have a place, depending on the owner's intended driving (track VS non-track).
Both sides tend to be pretty insufferable.

The Z06 guys acting like track times are the only thing that matters, when basically none of them will even track their car. The E-Ray guys who talk like it just blows away the Z06.. when so far it just doesn’t. Both extremes are just ridiculous about defending their chosen car.

For most owners uses the cars perform nearly the same, they just do it in different ways. People should just pick the one they like and enjoy it. No need for things to be so tribal. It’s odd how toxic this forum tends to get.
The following 4 users liked this post by smithers:
dw886 (05-10-2024), msm859 (05-10-2024), SharkDiverZ06 (05-10-2024), Shinobi'sZ (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:44 PM
rackemup
Racer

Originally Posted by smithers
Both sides tend to be pretty insufferable.

The Z06 guys acting like track times are the only thing that matters, when basically none of them will even track their car. The E-Ray guys who talk like it just blows away the Z06.. when so far it just doesn’t. Both extremes are just ridiculous about defending their chosen car.

For most owners uses the cars perform nearly the same, they just do it in different ways. People should just pick the one they like and enjoy it. No need for things to be so tribal. It’s odd how toxic this forum tends to get.
"Track times" indeed. Rather immaterial outside of the of the obvious academic and pissing contest comparisons that will rage on while a handfull of C8 Z06s will see any regular road course track duty and the majority will sleep in garages coming out for Cars and Coffee gatherings etc. This is reality.
How many C8 Z06 owners who have paid 150 large or more will risk destroying the vehicle while chewing up thousands of dollars worth of tires every weekend in heavy race course duty. Really not hard to understand that there will be small #s of C8 owners in the "regular road racer" category.
For some to continuously reiterate the notion that a C8 Z06 is marketed and intended to be adopted by this petite class of road racers is rather foolish.
dw886 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 03:00 PM
dw886
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
I mean you could say that, but then the same could be said about people who couldn't get on a z06 list or too late to get on one because they inquired late so they got on the ERAY list and was able to get one sooner.

I mean the nickname "second option" for the ERAY might mean something then.

We can trade insults back and forth since there is no perfect C8, yet. We don't know what the ZR1 and/or ZORA would bring.
So the vehicle that they can't build 5 per day off some how has more availability than the one that they're building 50+ of a day? The MM E-ray threads have many examples of people doing quite the opposite - bailing on the E-ray list and moving to Z06 due to availability, so not sure that I'm understanding what we're talking about here.

E-ray allocations were given to dealers twice in October, once in Feb, and zero up until yesterday. If people are bailing on Z06 due to availability and moving to an E-ray as a "second option", they apparently aren't paying attention to allocations...they're going to wait longer on an E-ray list than a Z06 list at this point. Here's a few examples of availability moving folks from E-ray to Z06:

gmarcucio (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 03:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

You're judging the present bro i been watching these threads since the very beginning.

Why are you getting offended for, seriously? lol

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone went from Z06 to Eray?

Old 05-10-2024, 03:23 PM
dw886
Instructor

Not offended at all, just trying to separate the facts from the conjecture. Hope I didn't inadvertently offend you either.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:24 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Trust me i'm not. However the proof is in this thread though
Old 05-10-2024, 03:58 PM
jafo1970
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
The NSX forums are full of folks that sound just like this...Just because someone disagrees with your purchase decision doesn't make them a "hater". You paid a bunch of $ for a car you like, yet the overall market doesn't seem to share your enthusiasm, and you're not happy about it, I get it, but that's reality...And expecting everyone that posts in the ERay section of the Forum to agree with you and feed your confirmation bias is unrealistic. If you like your car that's all that matters.
Well you steered that into a different direction and exaggerated what I meant but I’d expect that from someone like you that likes to start **** by turning it in to something it’s not. I can care less if someone disagrees with my purchase.I’ve been in the corvette crowd for awhile and never seen as much hate for a corvette all because it’s a hybrid. Majority of people think all electric when you say Eray. That’s the part it seems there hating on. The ones that don’t know what there even talking about. You speak of a market of only 300 Eray cars made with lack of enthusiasm but every YouTuber or video made by owners seem to praise it. I haven’t seen a bad review yet. GM needs to pump more out, the demand is there. . My little dealer here in Wisconsin has over 40 on the Eray wait list and 22 on the zr1 list. Go try buying a decent optioned Eray right now. You can’t and if you can it’s well over msrp. I can go buy a Zo6 everyday of the week for msrp right now. I almost did the end of March.

Quick Reply: Has anyone went from Z06 to Eray?