Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price

Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price

By Bob Lutz
Jan 15, 2015

I first saw rough plans for a mid-engine Corvette around 2003. That's when we were starting to think seriously about a replacement for the C6. GM's head of engineering, Jim Queen, came to see me and said,

"The next one's got to be mid-engine."

Tadge Juechter had a PowerPoint presentation demonstrating, very credibly, that the C6 ZR1 was at the limit of usable rear-wheel-drive performance. The problemwas really the front-mid-engine layout—we couldn't get the engine low enough and far back enough for proper weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration.
Related Gallery
These 10 cars paved the way for the mid-engine Corvette

I didn't want to move out of our price class, but Tadge explained that while the transmission would cost more, the list price would increase by no more than $5000. Imagine an American-built car with the proportions of a Lamborghini at that price point …that's pretty appealing.

Read entire article on Road and Track
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...gine-corvette/
Old 07-05-2016, 11:39 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

We need one stickied C8/Zora/mid-engine thread here instead of the dozens we have now.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

5k over what? C7 prices vary by 60k....
Old 07-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Chip E.
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I get the feeling it's gonna be $5K over the fully optioned Z06.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by cebars
By Bob Lutz
Jan 15, 2015

I first saw rough plans for a mid-engine Corvette around 2003. That's when we were starting to think seriously about a replacement for the C6. GM's head of engineering, Jim Queen, came to see me and said,

"The next one's got to be mid-engine."
I know these guys really plan ahead, but wasn't 2003 like two years BEFORE the C6 was introduced?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
I know these guys really plan ahead, but wasn't 2003 like two years BEFORE the C6 was introduced?

When I was at Chrysler the Long Term Plan was 20 years out. Next gen ground work is usually being done before the current model is even for sale.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-06-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
We need one stickied C8/Zora/mid-engine thread here instead of the dozens we have now.
Where's all the people who said we were full of **** when a group of us kept insisting a mid-engined vehicle was coming, and soon? They seem to have disappeared. hmmm. I won't debate the "year" it will be introduced because it could be 2020. They could wait for the C8 launch. But it is coming. The spyshots taken of it ls definitely a mid-engined vehicle.

As long as it's got a V8 in it, I'd be happy. While the Ford GT is a fantastic racing car (as proven by the IMSA wins), the V6 just doesn't sound the same. And to me, the sound of the engine matters.

Also, the Ford GT's interior blows. Definitely "Race Car Derived" totally barebones. But the body design is genius.

Purists might say the Corvette should stay Front Engined. Maybe so.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 07-06-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:26 AM
FiveStar
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

What will probably happen is when C8 comes out it will no longer be price matched to the base car but to the Grand Sport. This in fact may be the whole reason they came out with the G/S so they can do the usual if you can afford a G/S you can afford a new C8.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Well, it's clearly been "under consideration," and "development work" on mid-engine concepts has been going on for decades. In the past, it's been shelved for various reasons.

The same thing is going on today. All that's official is that a concept will be revealed soon, and it seems clear that development work is again on the front-burner. However, I don't think the green light has been given on a either a design or a production decision, and concepts often don't make it to production. The concept could go back on the shelf or be delayed again as it has been in the past.

I hope it does go forward, but innovation and change can either be massive successes or failures, but what's going on now is a necessary process or progress and innovation stagnate. It does seem to me that GM has wrung about as much out of the current platform as is possible.

A certain amount of skepticism is rational for the above reasons, but I think it's getting closer to reality.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Whatever, each day brings a slew of speculations.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, that's one of the entertaining aspects of car forums. I'm always fascinated by the conclusions various folks reach and positions taken.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have no idea how the vast majority of the Corvette community feel, for me there is no mid engine car in my future.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:57 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Where's all the people who said we were full of **** when a group of us kept insisting a mid-engined vehicle was coming, and soon? They seem to have disappeared. hmmm. I won't debate the "year" it will be introduced because it could be 2020. They could wait for the C8 launch. But it is coming. The spyshots taken of it ls definitely a mid-engined vehicle.
Probably the same group of experts that kept insisting that a Grand Sport would mot appear in the C7 cycle!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

As long as it's got a V8 in it, I'd be happy. While the Ford GT is a fantastic racing car (as proven by the IMSA wins), the V6 just doesn't sound the same. And to me, the sound of the engine matters.

Also, the Ford GT's interior blows. Definitely "Race Car Derived" totally barebones. But the body design is genius.

Like many, I don't doubt that it's coming, I doubt that it is the next generation Corvette. I believe it's going to be in addition to the "Stingray". The are packaging issues related to a mid engine car that compromises it's ability to be a daily driver for many folks. I think it would seriously diminish its ability to appeal to 35,000 buyers a year. It makes more sense as a second, 5-10,000 unit a year option.

BTW, this could well be the reason Corvette brought out the "Stingray" moniker. They knew a second car under the Corvette banner was coming.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If GM is going to build a mid-engine car, a second, completely different Corvette model makes sense, but is totally unprecedented.

I would love to see an affordable mid-engine Vette, but I fear one will be out of my price range. Corvettes are supposed to be affordable, but they now start at a whopping $56,400 MSRP.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jschindler
Like many, I don't doubt that it's coming, I doubt that it is the next generation Corvette. I believe it's going to be in addition to the "Stingray". The are packaging issues related to a mid engine car that compromises it's ability to be a daily driver for many folks. I think it would seriously diminish its ability to appeal to 35,000 buyers a year. It makes more sense as a second, 5-10,000 unit a year option.

BTW, this could well be the reason Corvette brought out the "Stingray" moniker. They knew a second car under the Corvette banner was coming.
Interesting thoughts, and I hadn't considered that angle, but it could be a very good business model with successful precedents.

Folks have been speculating and suggesting for years that "Corvette" should separated from Chevrolet and positioned as a discreet "performance brand" and dealer network. To some extent, GM has been distancing the Corvette from Chevy for years. It's been many generations since we've seen "Chevrolet" or the "bow-tie" logos anywhere on Corvettes, except the tiny bow-tie on the crossed-flags badges.

It's similar to the Porsche model, but I would really rather not see Corvette SUVs. :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price

Old 07-06-2016, 11:25 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Foosh
Interesting thoughts, and I hadn't considered that angle, but it could be a very good business model with successful precedents.

Folks have been speculating and suggesting for years that "Corvette" should separated from Chevrolet and positioned as a discreet "performance brand" and dealer network. To some extent, GM has been distancing the Corvette from Chevy for years. It's been many generations since we've seen "Chevrolet" or the "bow-tie" logos anywhere on Corvettes, except the tiny bow-tie on the crossed-flags badges.

It's similar to the Porsche model, but I would really rather not see Corvette SUVs. :-)
Separating Corvette into its own brand and dealer network would be a deal breaker for me, and I'm sure for many others. Chevy dealers are everywhere. I've looked at other high performance cars, but the closest dealer is several hundred miles away, which won't work. If Corvette had its own dealer I'm sure that would be the case, which would mean owning a Corvette anywhere not close to a big city wouldn't work very well.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

ok, convince me that the spyshots are "definitely" a mid engine corvette? enlighten me
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

It could work like the BMW/Mini relationship. Most BMW dealerships have separate Mini dealerships including service departments on the same property or right next door.
The following users liked this post:
jschindler (07-06-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road and Track quoted Lutz who quoted Juechter - mid-engine add $5,000 to price