Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

$100k isn't what it used to be... And if it still outruns the competition, leaving several thousands in your pocket, what's the downside?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Johnny Mayday
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Babaron
Perhaps it will be a new line, the Zora?
That's where my money is. Corvette will have two totally different platforms. They aren't going to give up the C7 architecture.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The newest editions of the Camaro is equal or even superior to the C7.

I think mid-engine is required to reestablish the Corvette as the clearly superior car.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Bosscobra
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Good luck hoping to see the new GT on the street or track.
Those cars will be garage queens and Ford knows it.
Apparently you have not spent any time on the Ford GT forum. Take a look, expand your mind:yesnod
Old 03-05-2017, 07:07 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The newest editions of the Camaro is equal or even superior to the C7.

I think mid-engine is required to reestablish the Corvette as the clearly superior car.
That's my feeling as well. The camaro is getting too close to the vette in terms of performance and target market. I mean, why should I pay $66k for a base corvette when I can have a camaro ZL1 with 650 hp for $63k that will run rings around it?

I think GM is going to leave the sub-$100k market to the camaro and instead the Zora is going to compete directly with the Ford GT.

I think one area you guys are overlooking with a mid-engine layout is that it will make it a lot easier to add all wheel drive to the platform. (Don't forget that the CERV mid-engined concept was all wheel drive.)

Remember that GM is coming out with a 6.2 liter DOHC engine. DOHC engines in Porsche, Audi and even Honda make over 100 hp/liter, so there's no reason why the new GM engine won't be a 600 hp beast even in naturally aspirated form.

Put a forced induction system on the car and you've got an 800 hp Z06.

Add a hybrid system to that driving the front wheels and you've got a 900 horsepower ZR1.

How much would you pay for 900 horsepower and all wheel drive bone stock from the factory? And one that with just a pulley swap or ECM tune could make over a thousand?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:37 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Early mid engine c8 will be top of the range with exotic materials and performance...

Then once the tooling is paid for the lower performance, lower priced models will arrive.

It will be a different marketing formula than what we have seen for new corvette generations past..

Building the reputation and desirability to even greater heights with higher price tags on first release of new generation...then lower priced still amazing performance models for traditional corvette buyers to afford and enjoy..

The c8 z51 type model will be a rear mid engine coupe with approximately 500 hp and out perform today's performance beast the grand sport on the track.

The c8 grand sport type model will lap as quickly as today's amazing c7 z06 and the future z06 type c8 model will reach c7 ZR1 performance track levels.

Pricing on the eventual mid engine c8 (type z51) for traditional corvette buyers will be five grand more than today's c7 z51...

I'm hopeful for the front sight lines of a Porsche Boxster or 911....although I hope the new mid engine c8 will not have a long tail design of say the first gen NSX....I was never a fan of that imbalanced design....I do hope we have the design balance of a Ferrari 488 for front to rear overhang...

The spy photos hopefully are hiding the actual rear overhangs to throw spy's off the real design..
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,970 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Tadge strongly denies any Corvette mid engine project but does open the door to other GM lines maybe...... I look for it to be a Cadillac.......
Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpjr2016
I think the Zora will be akin to a ZR1, and not replace the Z06 per se. It cannot be at the same price point and be profitable. It will be very low volume and very high margin.

That said, Z06 owners need to accept that Zora will be the king of the hill, top of the food chain. Only existing Z06 owners will come up with clever reasons to dispute that. The best thing we can all do is save our money and buy the best when it arrives!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm not a big fan of a mid engine Corvette (because I'm an old die-hard traditionalist), but there's that whole other part of me can't wait to see it.

I worked on lots of mid-engine cars in the 80s and never liked working on them but they sure were fun to drive.

Quick Reply: A mid-engine C8 just doesn't make sense at all