Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-engine Corvette photo chop

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM
carden
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mid-engine Corvette photo chop

Here are some photo chops of the mid engine corvette on another site:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...8-chop-268865/

I think the mid engine will look close to these. I also think the front facia will be the same as the new ZR1 with extra inlets for cooling.
The following 2 users liked this post by carden:
Gonzo (02-20-2017), snow (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I think there will be air inlets for engine cooling on the side. Most if not all mid-engine cars have them (more of a design element/mid-engine statement). I know there are other ways to get cooling air to the engine. Example: late model Corvair gets engine cooling air from behind the rear window.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-20-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM
carden
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. I believe it will have side vents. Take a look at the prototype pics going around and the photo chop from the site showing it. How the side vents will actually look is anyones guess.
Attached Images      

Last edited by carden; 02-20-2017 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:14 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Certainly looks like a reasonable representation to me. Definitely looks like a Corvette. It's actually starting to grow on me.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Certainly looks like a reasonable representation to me. Definitely looks like a Corvette. It's actually starting to grow on me.
The concept is sound, what I am fearing is the price! Having owned Corvairs in the past, you will be surprised how much luggage room the front trunk will have. Could have additional storage in the back too.

Last edited by Larry/car; 02-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice chops. Really entertaining to see how the lines might look without camo.
Some say the ME will not be a Vette. Maybe it is the power of suggestion from your images but the lines sure have Vette DNA. I noticed the camo version has a much less pronounced side strake and the side air inlets look like they are much wider on the bottom than the top. Could be intentional deception but it looks like a huge side air intake.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks to me to be a little short on cooling, but I'm not an engineer. Does the back end look long enough for a LT1? I wish the mods would start a C8 speculation group.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

What are we seeing, fast back to 2012, the C7 mule. Thinking we are going to see a mid-engine car (C8 or C8+). It is fun filling in the hidden distorted views with speculation.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Having owned Corvairs in the past, you will be surprised how much luggage room the front trunk will have. Could have additional storage in the back too.
Very possible, but having looked at Porsche Caymans, the usable up front space is limited. It is a deep trunk (big enough that a normal sized adult could crouch in it), but not nearly as usable a the C7 (and earlier) rear hatch space. I'm not a golfer, but have heard guys w/ Cayman's have to put their clubs in the passenger seat.

Often times engineers see that space as gained for their use and start putting fluid reservoirs and other misc items behind space robbing plastic fascia.

The C7 hatch (and even the Audi TT / TTS) have very usable hatch space compared to the ME Porsche.

I have a feeling in 2018, many questions will be answered including whether the car will have crossed flags or a Caddy badge.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

I, for one, am hoping that the MR platform ends up looking quite different than the Photoshop example above. It doesn't look nearly exotic enough for my taste. I think the car needs to be shorter (definitely shorter overhangs) and not quite as tall...LOL, if that makes sense?!

The likelihood that an MR vette has room for a golf bag has got to be near zero. If I'm going to the course, hunting club, or hockey rink (summer men's league), I certainly don't drive my McLaren. Folks able to afford a $200K (speculating) vette, have other options to drive.

I was told a couple of months ago by one of the top US vette and caddy dealers (won't mention by name) that both will have an MR offering. Perhaps one with a V6 and the other with a V8. Other dealer owners I know (one caddy and one chevy) have no such knowledge. So, I don't put a lot of stock in this...
Old 02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I hope it looks better than that. That looks fine, but is just a re-purportioned C7.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I, for one, am hoping that the MR platform ends up looking quite different than the Photoshop example above. It doesn't look nearly exotic enough for my taste. I think the car needs to be shorter (definitely shorter overhangs) and not quite as tall...LOL, if that makes sense?!

The likelihood that an MR vette has room for a golf bag has got to be near zero. If I'm going to the course, hunting club, or hockey rink (summer men's league), I certainly don't drive my McLaren. Folks able to afford a $200K (speculating) vette, have other options to drive.

I was told a couple of months ago by one of the top US vette and caddy dealers (won't mention by name) that both will have an MR offering. Perhaps one with a V6 and the other with a V8. Other dealer owners I know (one caddy and one chevy) have no such knowledge. So, I don't put a lot of stock in this...
Don't worry. From the doors forward, that rendering may at least be close, but everything behind the rear doors has to be wrong. That rendering looks really odd and out of proportion WRT everything behind the doors. Additionally, they are not just going to slap a damn C7 rear bumper on the thing. GM cannot be that stupid.

I just hope whatever they make remains distinctly corvette...if the designers try to make it look like a Ferrari or Lambo and it doesn't get executed appropriately, it will be a massive "knock-off" failure.

I am excited because I actually have faith in the corvette team within GM.

Don't fret, that render is not even close.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by carden
Yes. I believe it will have side vents. Take a look at the prototype pics going around and the photo chop from the site showing it. How the side vents will actually look is anyones guess.
Don't think it will look much like C7

I heard will look like McLaren P1
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Geneva car show is March 9

Maybe we get a better look then
Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I hope it looks better than that. That looks fine, but is just a re-purportioned C7.
From what I heard the design won't be a huge step away from the current styling despite being ME.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

These are awful.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Don't think it will look much like C7

I heard will look like McLaren P1
I heard the same

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-engine Corvette photo chop

Old 03-17-2017, 03:20 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by CFHay
From what I heard the design won't be a huge step away from the current styling despite being ME.
i hope you're wrong, but it won't surprise me if you're not because corvette styling has been evolutionary rather than revolutionary, except in 84 and 97. they don't want to go to perfection, because everything would be a step down from that. but this is a project that has been in the oven for 50 years. if ever there was a time to let the creative energy out, this would be it. it's too late to change it now, because the design is almost surely set as the machinery to create the physical form has to be built. i just hope some of the bloated design hidden under the covers of the test car with too much overhang front and rear is stuffed with styrofoam, plywood and wooden boxes, as it resembles. i wanted this to be the bar to be beaten;

but will be surprised if it is as good as this:

http://www.motor1.com/news/116750/ch...engine-render/

or this:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016/...terrible-idea/

Originally Posted by Michael A
These are awful.
i agree

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
i hope it does too, stephen. but whatever the design is, i hope it is good looking.

Last edited by senah; 03-17-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:04 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by senah
if ever there was a time to let the creative energy out, this would be it.
The guy I got the information from works at GM says the same thing, he felt like the the last clay model he saw of it wasn't as big of a departure as he thinks it should be. He did say the Caddy sports car looks better, hopefully the big wigs isn't making the Corvette team neuter it's looks to not step on the Cadillac.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by tslick98
I heard the same

love the mclaren side look and rear, the front not so much. This render looks pretty good as the deep vents that make the Micky look funny are better integrated and hopefully still functional.

Corvette styling has a fresh sheet, make it a good one!

Quick Reply: Mid-engine Corvette photo chop