Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:41 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I'm sure they do, I think (!) it's done based on the class of the car, but I could be wrong on that. I'll research.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:22 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm probably with jimmyb on this one. I've stated on several threads that GM has made no secret that Porsche is their target market with the Corvette. I believe GM is going to follow the Porsche marketing model and sell several versions based on two platforms. Yes, there will be a ME car, but the front engine Corvette will soldier on as long as it makes a profit. I have no opinion on the designations, C8, C8.5 whatever. But the marketing model will have two platforms. THAT will be the answer to attract a new, younger generation of buyers. A platform that's a more affordable base car and a super car platform, and there will be several variations of each with increasing prices.
Now for the big, important question, Will Corvette come out with a SUV?
Old 03-07-2017, 04:04 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I've stated on several threads that GM has made no secret that Porsche is their target market with the Corvette. I believe GM is going to follow the Porsche marketing model and sell several versions based on two platforms.
So you think that GM should trade 30,000 C7's sold per year in the US for 11,000 (which is the combined volume of 911's (6,500 911's), Cayman's and Boxter's)? I am sure that will be profitable
They only way a low volume (under 5,000 per year) Corvette works is if the price goes up substantially; and there is no mid-engine car in the market that sells more than 5,000 units per year - so expecting the Corvette to do much better is a pipe dream.
The following users liked this post:
GR Jay (03-19-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^
You might want to re-read what roadbike56 said. He spoke of TWO platforms....

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-07-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

[QUOTE=skank;1594240632]The new mid rear will be called...QUOTE]

Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 PM
DCTawdME
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
This car will different EVERYWHERE. Smaller displacement, higher revving, turbo charging, AWD will eventually be adopted, completely different proportions, etc....and I can't wait. Tadge is a closet Porsche lover...I know it. He prefers lower displacement higher revving engines. He is already on record as saying he prefers higher revving engines.

Traditionalist will cry, moan and groan like you've never seen before. You think people lost their mines when the floppy headlights and round lights disappeared? This place is going to go nuts.

This will be the corvette that completely turns it back on the traditional corvette customer base. It's the big middle finger to the traditionalists...but it had to happen in order to appeal better to the next generation.

Who else can't wait for the fireworks around these parts, Lol!
Thank you for posting my thoughts.
I look forward to the tears flowing like a river and to sweet vindication.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^^
You might want to re-read what roadbike56 said. He spoke of TWO platforms....
You do realize the 911 and Cayman/Boxter are two separate platforms? And, that is why I put the sales of both together. The mid-engined Cayman & Boxter which cost what a C7 does is outsold by the much higher priced and no more practical 911.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Paulchristian, & DCTawdME, you're on record; according to Paulchristian, the next generation (8th) Corvette from base model to Z06/ZR1 (and everything in between) etc will all be ME, and not only ME, but turbo, awd, dct, to keep up with the current tech of other sports cars.

Paulchristian, is so certain that, "you can take that to the bank."

How about this, let's start a pool using PayPal and an impartial third party. Any dollar amount would be placed into this PayPal account. Any and all money raised by this friendly gentleman's bet (provide a screen shot showing "bet" was placed), would be donated to the Corvette Museum, but the losers all have to change their avatars to this image for a week:

Money goes where their mouths are, but also actually goes to a good thing and those that were wrong* can publicly admit as much while showing they can also laugh about it.

Now what I mean by "wrong," is that the entire C8 line-up will not all be ME. There will in fact be a front engine offering with only hi-po models available using the ME platform ie. Z06/ZR1 (as this current ME will be a stand alone model available during the C7 life cycle, and trickle down to the Z cars during the C8 life cycle). Over time perhaps turbo, awd and dct might be introduced, but certainly not as the 8th generation Corvette debuts.

What say you?
The following users liked this post:
jimmyb (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by LIStingray
So you think that GM should trade 30,000 C7's sold per year in the US for 11,000 (which is the combined volume of 911's (6,500 911's), Cayman's and Boxter's)? I am sure that will be profitable
They only way a low volume (under 5,000 per year) Corvette works is if the price goes up substantially; and there is no mid-engine car in the market that sells more than 5,000 units per year - so expecting the Corvette to do much better is a pipe dream.
Man, you sure play fast and loose with numbers...
FYI:
Calendar 2016 911 sales (US): 8,901 units
Calendar 2016 Cayman sales (US): 3,590 units
Calendar 2016 Boxster sales (US): 2,670 units
Calendar Total: 15,161 units
Your pulled out of the air number of 11,000 units is well short of the REAL number.

This info is easily available:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/

I'm in agreement with you on GM treading carefully to maintain Corvette volume, but your totally made up numbers on Porsche is unfair.

Feel free to look at this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-engine.html
look at my posts #57 and #59. Those are the REAL numbers regarding Porsche's business in America.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You do realize the 911 and Cayman/Boxter are two separate platforms? And, that is why I put the sales of both together. The mid-engined Cayman & Boxter which cost what a C7 does is outsold by the much higher priced and no more practical 911.
Just like the mid-engine car and the C7 are 2 separate platforms.
And the Boxster/Cayman twins sold 6,260 units in the U.S. for calendar 2016.

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-08-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Paulchristian, & DCTawdME, you're on record; according to Paulchristian, the next generation (8th) Corvette from base model to Z06/ZR1 (and everything in between) etc will all be ME, and not only ME, but turbo, awd, dct, to keep up with the current tech of other sports cars.

Paulchristian, is so certain that, "you can take that to the bank."

How about this, let's start a pool using PayPal and an impartial third party. Any dollar amount would be placed into this PayPal account. Any and all money raised by this friendly gentleman's bet (provide a screen shot showing "bet" was placed), would be donated to the Corvette Museum, but the losers all have to change their avatars to this image for a week:

Money goes where their mouths are, but also actually goes to a good thing and those that were wrong* can publicly admit as much while showing they can also laugh about it.

Now what I mean by "wrong," is that the entire C8 line-up will not all be ME. There will in fact be a front engine offering with only hi-po models available using the ME platform ie. Z06/ZR1 (as this current ME will be a stand alone model available during the C7 life cycle, and trickle down to the Z cars during the C8 life cycle). Over time perhaps turbo, awd and dct might be introduced, but certainly not as the 8th generation Corvette debuts.

What say you?

Whoa there cowboy, relax. Just one guys opinion. What, I can't be confident about it and have a little fun?

Why so serious?

Yes, I do believe the C8 will be a ME only. The Zora will be the precursor. I don't believe they will produce two different platforms during the C8 run (or ever). It was not too long ago when we were talking about if the corvette would survive past future fuel standards. Now they are going to produce two platforms? I Don't think so. I'll say again, we will be lucky to keep one. As for AWD, yes I do believe it will EVENTUALLY be adopted when the vette moves to a ME layout. At that point, it would be waste not to.

Let the C8 come around. If they produce two platforms, I'll create a youtube video publically apologizing for hurting your feelings and post it to the forum. How's that? But you have to do the same. Deal?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Man, you sure play fast and loose with numbers...
FYI:
Calendar 2016 911 sales (US): 8,901 units
Calendar 2016 Cayman sales (US): 3,590 units
Calendar 2016 Boxster sales (US): 2,670 units
Calendar Total: 15,161 units
Your pulled out of the air number of 11,000 units is well short of the REAL number.

This info is easily available:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/

I'm in agreement with you on GM treading carefully to maintain Corvette volume, but your totally made up numbers on Porsche is unfair.

Feel free to look at this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...id-engine.html
look at my posts #57 and #59. Those are the REAL numbers regarding Porsche's business in America.

I agree with you, I think they'll actually offer 2 or 3 front engine cars and 2 ME cars all sold as corvettes. Agree with both you they do have to be carefully about volume but again number of cars sold is almost irrelevant to a business, profit is all that matters. It would be great to see the base front engine stay around the same msrp and have a ME halo car around 120-140.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

So everyone is saying that Tadge loves higher revving engines..

But I wonder how much say he has in the future of the small block. I'm sure he has pull, but he's the head of Corvette, not the head of GM Powertrain/engines that go in a lot more stuff than the Corvette.

I just wonder/kinda doubt if he has full authority to just 100% dictate exactly what the engines are of the future of GM

and I do think that this is kind of the future anyway with rumors of the LT5/DOHC, turbos and generally how the market is going towards lower displacement with forced induction, and lets not forget the non stop drooling and bragging about how special the Voodoo engine is in the GT350 and how people say it just has a unique special feel when you are driving it, even if you are just getting groceries
Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Also, MAN would i LOVE to see Corvette become more of a brand than a car, like Porsche

(just as an example ignore the names I've assigned to whatever car)

Base- Stingray -front engine RWD
Then you can have a few different variations on this

You can have the Grand Sport (or whatever) be a slightly different car maybe mid engine, like the Cayman

Then you have a mid engine super car beast

etc etc and then just ***** out the brand and name, as long as it performs well I don't care, give us more options. I

I'm hoping the ME car will be a success and money maker and leads to future expansion. Have at least 2 different platforms FE/ME and then have variants of each chassis with the Stingray, Z51, Grand Sport, Z06, ZR1, Zora, E-Ray
Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

^^^^^^

I think we all agree that the 911 is unique (but so is Corvette), if GM could pull this off, they'd be golden!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/

TWENTY ONE versions of the 911!

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-10-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't care if the Corvette is mid-engine. I just care if it is affordable. If the starting price for the base model is 80-90k as suggested. It's a failure.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

^^^ I agree. They will not price the base car at $90k. Again, they are not Porsche.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 03-11-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists

Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
This car will different EVERYWHERE. Smaller displacement, higher revving, turbo charging, AWD will eventually be adopted, completely different proportions, etc....and I can't wait. Tadge is a closet Porsche lover...I know it. He prefers lower displacement higher revving engines. He is already on record as saying he prefers higher revving engines.

Traditionalist will cry, moan and groan like you've never seen before. You think people lost their mines when the floppy headlights and round lights disappeared? This place is going to go nuts.

This will be the corvette that completely turns it back on the traditional corvette customer base. It's the big middle finger to the traditionalists...but it had to happen in order to appeal better to the next generation.

Who else can't wait for the fireworks around these parts, Lol!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

The C7 has been a complete success top to bottom.

If GM were smart the C8 will be an evolution, not an expensive revolution.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:20 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Far into the future there will be a front engine Corvette. First, there has to be an "affordable" Corvette, which currently means around $60,000. Second, the Corvette has a tradition of being a fun road trip car. There are no meaningfully fun road trips in mid engine sports cars.

Remember the fundamental design imperative of the C5 and every generation since? The car must have a trunk and you must be able to squeeze two sets of golf clubs and two small suitcases into a Corvette. That ain't gonna happen in a mid-engine sports car.

Will there be a high performance mid-engine GM sports car? Yes. It was already in final ergonomic testing in 2016. Its coming. Will it be a Vette or a Cad? I don't know and neither does any other mere Corvette fan. I also don't care which family it belongs to. There are valid arguments for either avenue.

But, no matter what happens with the ME car, there will be a relatively affordable traditional front engine Corvette road car/sports car for a long time. Either that or the Corvette will evolve into a high end ME member of the Cadillac performance branch. There is no volume market for a Corvette that starts at $110,000 to $120,000 and goes up to $150,000+ with options.

And, no, C8 does not equal ME platform. An ME car might be part of the C8 family but it won't be the only member of the C8 family.

Last edited by B747VET; 03-12-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 will be the big middle finger to Corvette traditionalists